GPU Upgrade Advice - Should I buy a GTX 1070 now, or wait?

I posted a while back asking about what GPU to buy to replace an R9 270X, and was originally intending to buy a RX 480 8GB, then looked at the RX 580 8GB instead as it had just been released for not much more. With the mining craze however, I won't be able to get one of those cards either until the bubble pops or I pony up the ridiculously high price.

My current specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel i5-6600K OC'd to 4.6GHz
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Water Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400Mhz
GPU: MSI R9 270X ITX 2GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
HDD : Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S ATX Mid Tower

I have instead started looking at the next step up in terms of GPUs, looking at the GTX 1070 in particular. In Linus' video on what graphics card to buy he mentioned the EVGA GTX 1070 SC, costing £425 in the UK right now, or the Black edition at £423. This appears to be the best price point 1070 available on AmazonUK, though Palit also offers their Jetstream card at £355 but I haven't heard much about this card. I'll be using the card for 1080p gaming and 3D model rendering in 3DSMax and UE4 - AMD cards still lack optimisation or implementation in 3DSMax from my research with a separate render engine being required for 3DSMax to use AMD Cards at all. I also intend to use 2 24" 1080P 60Hz monitors whilst at university. The price point of the EVGA cards listed is as far as my budget will stretch - I'm looking for future proofing for at least the next few years.

I am also concerned about bottlenecking of a GTX 1070 due to my i5 processor, it was mentioned in my original post that going higher than a 1070 wasn't advised with the processor I was using, and websites such as http://thebottlenecker.com/ note that my setup right now will result in a bottleneck. If someone could give me more information on that also it'd be appreciated.

CPU: Intel i5-6600K OC'd to 4.6GHz
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Water Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400Mhz
GPU: MSI R9 270X ITX 2GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
HDD : Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S ATX Mid Tower

Just in case people with the dark theme had trouble :P

Wouldn't buy any card now prices are a joke. Give it time when the mining boys crash market will even back out and will be a ton of cheap hardware for sale on eBay etc! 

Yup it is. 

But the prices ain't worth it for the same hardware when you are spending 25% more on the prices etc. 

Give it time, wait for Vega etc. 

3 minutes ago, DDR69 said:

(...) the mining boys crash market (...)

As a MemeLord I cannot ignore the mining boys' absence when we crack open a cold one

2 minutes ago, DDR69 said:

Give it time when the mining boys crash market will even back out and will be a ton of cheap hardware for sale on eBay etc! 

when the mining boys finally fall on their faces again there will be a flood of used, half-dead hardware ... but prices for new hadware will likely drop as well in response.

Yes true.

Like most things it goes boom and then it slows and people give it up and it gets cheaper again. 

And will the the used hardware, cards etc if all it takes is some new fans etc then it will.be worth it! 

Your i5 is more than enough for a gtx 1070 in 90% of the games. I would go with the cheaper Palit card Tbh.

Look into the Zotac AMP Edition card.

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Look into the Zotac AMP Edition card.

I'd not seen this, I've book marked it as its only £5 extra for higher clocks out of the box + non-limited availability

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Your i5 is more than enough for a gtx 1070 in 90% of the games. I would go with the cheaper Palit card Tbh.

Thank you for clearing up the confusion

18 minutes ago, DDR69 said:

Wouldn't buy any card now prices are a joke. Give it time when the mining boys crash market will even back out and will be a ton of cheap hardware for sale on eBay etc! 

Do you expect 1070 prices to drop, I remember them being roughly the same before the mining started - the only impact it seems to have had now is that their availability is a bit spotty in terms of dispatch time

Just now, spidermankini said:

Thank you for clearing up the confusion

No problem. Everyone seems to think that having the possibility of a bottleneck is bad when almost any cpu and gpu can bottleneck in certain situations. Plus there is a big difference between a big bottleneck and a minor one.

29 minutes ago, DDR69 said:

wait for Vega etc. 

knowing those miners, vega will be gone as soon as it hits the shelves.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|