Looking for a portable laptop for university

Hi there,

As the tittle says I'm looking for a new portable laptop for university (by portable I mean a laptop of 2kg maximun). As far as expecs go I want the best, as I am going to study mechanical engineering which has plenty of CAD (3D) work, I don't have a price limit, however I would like it to be as small as possible. I have thought about the 15 inch macbook pro with the i7 and 16gb of ram, the macbook 13 (however I am worried about the i5 and the 8gb of ram), the razer blade and the gigabyte aero 14.

What are your thoughts? Thank you for everything, and greetings from Spain.

:)

Gigabyte aero 14/15 or an aorus x3.  The aorus has an unlocked i7 so it's performance will be amazing for CAD.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, javier.epg said:

Hi there,

As the tittle says I'm looking for a new portable laptop for university (by portable I mean a laptop of 2kg maximun). As far as expecs go I want the best, as I am going to study mechanical engineering which has plenty of CAD (3D) work, I don't have a price limit, however I would like it to be as small as possible. I have thought about the 15 inch macbook pro with the i7 and 16gb of ram, the macbook 13 (however I am worried about the i5 and the 8gb of ram), the razer blade and the gigabyte aero 14.

What are your thoughts? Thank you for everything, and greetings from Spain.

:)

could you make a list of your CAD3D softwares?

Spoiler

Apple does have custom configurations available, if you wanted an i7 and 16 GB of RAM in a 13" MacBook Pro.

That being said, I think it's worth checking with the university on what platform they use. Sometimes its best to be on the same platform as the professors so you can follow along.

I just got the Dell Inspiron 7000 15 inch Gaming laptop, 

(i7 7700HQ,16gb Ram, 1050Ti etc.) It'd be perfect.... apart from the fact it's 2.65kg or so :(

If price doesn't matter, then i'd go for the Razer Blade, because If your country supports it, you can get 5% off through their education program if you sign up using your student email or whatever.

and its also, super powerful for the size

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

13 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

could you make a list of your CAD3D softwares?

The ones I am going to use are Autocad and 3ds Max

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Dual core, low clocked i7's are garbage for CAD

yeah, for softwarey things a quad core is a must for laptops.

I got a laptop with an i7 7700HQ which is going to be great for the Media creation I'm going to be doing :P

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

5 minutes ago, javier.epg said:

The ones I am going to use are Autocad and 3ds Max

really? not solidworks? inventor? catia?

Spoiler

I think that in the university the main OS is windows, so if that was the case would you go for the razer blade, the aourus or for another one?

1 minute ago, sicily428 said:

really? not solidworks? inventor? catia?

Probably further in the career yes, but at least not in first year, but probably I will end up using that type of software

3 minutes ago, javier.epg said:

Probably further in the career yes, but at least not in first year, but probably I will end up using that type of software

gigabyte aero 15  (7h battery life and gtx1060) 2000/2100 euros

solidworks or catia work better with quadro cards

edit

asus ux550ve or clevo p640hk1

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, javier.epg said:

I think that in the university the main OS is windows, so if that was the case would you go for the razer blade, the aourus or for another one?

My top recommendation absolutely goes to the aorus, good build quality, good battery, gorgeous screen, a 1060 and the CPU is a quad core eight threaded beast capable of hitting 4.4ghz or higher on a decent OC, especially if you buy it from a place like xotic pc and get the liquid metal option.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Thank you for your help, I will take a look at all of these computers, and I will decide

I put my vote down for the base 15" MBP, she's thinner and lighter than any Windows machine you can get pretty much (although also less powerful):

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MPTR2LL/A&step=config#

But regardless she has the power to do what you want. 

• Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • 2.8GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 256GB SSD storage
  • Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB memory
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

It falls under your weight requirement as well and will give you probably the best build quality and the best speakers compared to all the other laptops. Its webcam is pretty good too if that means anything to you. 

Oh and it can install Windows if you need it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)