Can't get lan wall outlet to work properly

KevinSpanish
Go to solution Solved by NZLaurence,

You need to change the following wires on the wall plate so that they are wired the same as the label on the back of the wall plate. Do not change the RJ45 end as that is correct.

Inkedunnamed3.jpg.1120bc61b7c6ad0d81c9c89020fd1f4f_LI.jpg.969885a64b75eb62126d3d065936c6a0.jpg

Once the wires on wall socket are changed then it should work.

EDIT: The punch down block on the back of the wall plate is arranged that way to make it easier to use, they are not arranged in the same order as the pins on the front of the wall plate. You have to follow the wiring guide on the back of the wall plate for the wall plate end only.

The RJ45's are always wired following Either A or B spec:

download.png.7e7a0259486ecb36ef11ab17cc07183e.png

For the past couple of days I've been trying to get a lan wall outlet to work.

First I tried installing it in the room where I wanted to put it, didn't work.

After that I proceeded to try it directly at the modem, and sure enough everything works.

But as soon as I try connecting it via a network switch it just can't connect.

Layout:

Modem -> outlet -> pc [works]

Modem -> other, working outlet -> switch -> outlet -> pc [Nope]

Windows will show that it's trying to 'identify' the network, but after one second this disappears only to come back about a minute later.

The corresponding light on the switch goes on when windows tries to identify the network, but will go out almost immediately.

All wires are correct on both ends, and using the first layout it works.

Any ideas?

Comic sans is best font

-me to my graphic design teacher 6 seconds before I got kicked out of the classroom

Do you have another switch you could try?  My experience is that switches rarely have problems (the good ones anyway).  What switch are you using?

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Have you tried just from the switch after the outlet?

Does the switch work directly connected to the modem?

is the modem also a router?

The first point of failure is usually the outlet.  Are you 100% certain that all of the outlets are OK?  What kind of connectors does the outlet use?  

This style of jack is really unreliable:

Wall-Plate-One-port-TEL-CAT3-RJ11-One-Port-CAT5-5E-RJ45-Network-LAN-Outlet-LAN.jpg_640x640.jpg.22a053c137076bc37a12245a2587016f.jpg

This style is WAY more reliable:

DSC00420.thumb.jpg.0a27965b8cb6078170da884bb2052163.jpg

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, argyle said:

Have you tried just from the switch after the outlet?

Does the switch work directly connected to the modem?

is the modem also a router?

2 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Do you have another switch you could try?  My experience is that switches rarely have problems (the good ones anyway).  What switch are you using?

It's a 7 port TP-Link switch, not sure of the exact type.

We've used that switch for a few years and never had trouble with it.

our modem is one provided by our isp, wireless, network switch, phone

I have a 5 port switch laying around, also a TP-Link, I'll try that one

Comic sans is best font

-me to my graphic design teacher 6 seconds before I got kicked out of the classroom

if it dont work just use a powerline adapter

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

2 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

It's a 7 port TP-Link switch, not sure of the exact type.

We've used that switch for a few years and never had trouble with it.

our modem is one provided by our isp, wireless, network switch, phone

I have a 5 port switch laying around, also a TP-Link, I'll try that one

Ok.  

To start, I would test the switch directly into the modem, then laptop directly into switch.  Next, I would check each individual ethernet outlet directly from the modem to a laptop.  Use an internet speed test such as speedtest.net and write down the speed for each point tested.  This can help you determine if certain cable runs have signal loss.

PC Build

Desk Build

3 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

The first point of failure is usually the outlet.  Are you 100% certain that all of the outlets are OK?  What kind of connectors does the outlet use?  

This style of jack is really unreliable:

This style is WAY more reliable:

This is the outlet I'm having the issues with:

unnamed.jpg.55c82a7f0a4e093ff97cb5ad6cdffa31.jpg

All of the wires in our network are wired up like this:

1-8:

Orange-white Orange Blue Blue-white Green-white Green Brown-white Brown.

unnamed2.jpg.922189eb32dd7353f23fa2e31cb3e1d7.jpg

Comic sans is best font

Sounds like you have a wiring issue to me, but testing another switch can't hurt.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I'm curious, is the working outlet wired up the exact same as the one you're having trouble with?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I'm curious, is the working outlet wired up the exact same as the one you're having trouble with?

12 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Sounds like you have a wiring issue to me, but testing another switch can't hurt.

13 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Ok.  

To start, I would test the switch directly into the modem, then laptop directly into switch.  Next, I would check each individual ethernet outlet directly from the modem to a laptop.  Use an internet speed test such as speedtest.net and write down the speed for each point tested.  This can help you determine if certain cable runs have signal loss.

I've tested another switch, no luck.

So our network layout is something like this

Modem --[Two separate cat 5e wires]-> 3-part rj45 wall outlet in living room (one is wired up as a phone line).

From the living room one of those cat 5e wires goes to the switch by the tv. the other one goes upstairs to the 7 port switch.

From the 7 port switch it goes to a pc, nas, multiple printers and to the wall outlet I'm having trouble with.

Plugging the same wires I use to plug the outlet into the 7 port switch into the modem and using the same wires to go from the outlet to a pc works.

But when I run these same cables trough the wall from the room the 7 port switch is in and then connecting the outlet again it doesn't work anymore.

Comic sans is best font

10 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

This is the outlet I'm having the issues with:

All of the wires in our network are wired up like this:

1-8:

Orange-white Orange Blue Blue-white Green-white Green Brown-white Brown.

That type of connector is good.  It's possible some of the wires are not pushed all the way down.  If you have something like a very thin straight blade screw driver (or flat side of a thin knife) you could push each wire down to confirm it is fully seated in the jack.

I'm a little rusty on my ethernet cable types, but there may be an issue there as well.  Confirm that all of your cables and all of your jacks are using the same 568B type connection.

PC Build

Desk Build

12 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

That type of connector is good.  It's possible some of the wires are not pushed all the way down.  If you have something like a very thin straight blade screw driver (or flat side of a thin knife) you could push each wire down to confirm it is fully seated in the jack.

I'm a little rusty on my ethernet cable types, but there may be an issue there as well.  Confirm that all of your cables and all of your jacks are using the same 568B type connection.

Well I've reconnected the outlet multiple times at this point and used a small screwdriver every time but for some reason it only works when connected directly to the modem. And running more cables upstairs from the modem isn't an option because it's literally impossible.

Comic sans is best font

I've been looking at that wire configuration and it seems weird to me.  Check out the wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568

Your wire configuration is neither 568A or 568B.  I don't know what it is...  

PC Build

Desk Build

5 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

I've been looking at that wire configuration and it seems weird to me.  Check out the wikipedia page:

as long as it is the same on both ends, the wire order has minimal effects on crosstalk and noise.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

6 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

T568B is the wire configuration, according to the manual of the outlet

I think It's pretty far-fetched that It's the wire configuration. I am aware that the wire layout matters. But because I tried the exact same wires I use when connecting to the 7 port switch or directly to the modem, but only when connected to the modem it works.

Something else that might be related or not:

We have two wireless access points, one is build into the modem, the other is a standalone unit upstairs.

For some reason all the devices that connect to our network, even directly to the modem don't see the name of the modem but instead see the ssid of the standalone access point.

Comic sans is best font

3 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

T568B is the wire configuration, according to the manual of the outlet

I think It's pretty far fetched that It's the wire configuration. I am aware that the wire layout matters. But because I tried the exact same wires I use when connecting to the 7 port switch or directly to the modem, but only when connected to the modem it works.

Something else that might be related or not:

We have two wireless access points, one is build into the modem, the other is a standalone unit upstairs.

For some reason all the devices that connect to our network, even directly to the modem don't see the name of the modem but instead see the ssid of the standalone access point.

As long as the wire layout is the same for all cables, devices, and wall jacks - then no, it doesn't matter.  But if one point is different from the rest, it won't work.  

In diagnosing network issues, you usually want to rule out problems in order of easiest to hardest, in a systematic way.  Checking the wire layout is only one step.  If it is consistent throughout the network, you've ruled it out.  

Visually check the faulty jack to confirm the pins are making good contact when you plug in a cable.  Any bent or stuck pins?

Another thing to check would be the cable and jacks both ends of the run).  This is a bit more time consuming:  replace the jack on both ends of the run with another jack that you know for certain is functional.  If you replace both jacks and it still doesn't work, there is a problem with the cable in the wall.

For wifi, are you saying you can't connect to the modem, even though it has wifi capabilities?  

PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

As long as the wire layout is the same for all cables, devices, and wall jacks - then no, it doesn't matter.  But if one point is different from the rest, it won't work.  

In diagnosing network issues, you usually want to rule out problems in order of easiest to hardest, in a systematic way.  Checking the wire layout is only one step.  If it is consistent throughout the network, you've ruled it out.  

Visually check the faulty jack to confirm the pins are making good contact when you plug in a cable.  Any bent or stuck pins?

Another thing to check would be the cable and jacks both ends of the run).  This is a bit more time consuming:  replace the jack on both ends of the run with another jack that you know for certain is functional.  If you replace both jacks and it still doesn't work, there is a problem with the cable in the wall.

For wifi, are you saying you can't connect to the modem, even though it has wifi capabilities?  

From the outlet there are two wires that go to the switch, disconnecting the wires form outlet and disconnecting the cables from the switch, plugging everything directly into the modem using those same cables to wire the outlet up again works.

But plugging these cables into the switch, then pushing them trough a wall and connecting the outlet again doesn't work.

We have two access points, one is build into the modem/router (Let's call this one A), the other one is a standalone unit (Let's call this one B).

When connecting to the wired network, windows shows that you are connected to "B".

Which is strange to me, because "B" is a standalone unit, only an access point.

Comic sans is best font

8 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

From the outlet there are two wires that go to the switch, disconnecting the wires form outlet and disconnecting the cables from the switch, plugging everything directly into the modem using those same cables to wire the outlet up again works.

But plugging these cables into the switch, then pushing them trough a wall and connecting the outlet again doesn't work.

We have two access points, one is build into the modem/router (Let's call this one A), the other one is a standalone unit (Let's call this one B).

When connecting to the wired network, windows shows that you are connected to "B".

Which is strange to me, because "B" is a standalone unit, only an access point.

Are you saying you've tested the outlet separately and it works, and you've tested the switch separately and it works, but for some reason the combination of the two does not work?  If that's the case, maybe it's a problem of signal strength?  Did you try running speedtest at the various points?  Other than that, I'm not sure what else to try.

As for the wifi, that is very strange.  does your computer have wifi enabled?  It is possible to be wired in and connected to wifi at the same time.   If there is no wifi on the computer, perhaps the Access Point is acting as a router (is it a router? or wifi AP only?)  and somehow your wire is going through the AP?  There is something odd with your wiring if that is the case.

PC Build

Desk Build

57 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Are you saying you've tested the outlet separately and it works, and you've tested the switch separately and it works, but for some reason the combination of the two does not work?  If that's the case, maybe it's a problem of signal strength?  Did you try running speedtest at the various points?  Other than that, I'm not sure what else to try.

As for the wifi, that is very strange.  does your computer have wifi enabled?  It is possible to be wired in and connected to wifi at the same time.   If there is no wifi on the computer, perhaps the Access Point is acting as a router (is it a router? or wifi AP only?)  and somehow your wire is going through the AP?  There is something odd with your wiring if that is the case.

Well because the room I want to have a wired connection to is next to the room with the switch I'm considering to just push two cables from the switch trough the wall and directly into my computers. Leaving out the outlet entirely.

I'm currently online with a 10 meter network cable that runs from the switch, across the room and hallway to my room. Which is much longer than the wire used on the outlet.

It does seem like the switch is unable to push the signal trough the outlet.
Are there any solutions for signal strength issues?

-EDIT-

Running a speedtest directly on the modem results in 100 down, 16 up

Running a speedtest trough the switch resulted in 80 down, 16 up

Comic sans is best font

44 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

Well because the room I want to have a wired connection to is next to the room with the switch I'm considering to just push two cables from the switch trough the wall and directly into my computers. Leaving out the outlet entirely.

I'm currently online with a 10 meter network cable that runs from the switch, across the room and hallway to my room. Which is much longer than the wire used on the outlet.

Yes, there are signal boosters.  It shouldn't be necessary though.  If signal strength is a problem, there is something wrong with your network and a signal booster may or may not be a good solution. 

PC Build

Desk Build

49 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

-EDIT-

Running a speedtest directly on the modem results in 100 down, 16 up

Running a speedtest trough the switch resulted in 80 down, 16 up

Ethernet is rated up to 105 meters or roughly 330 feet.

What's the exact model of the switch? It sounds like it can only do 100meg and with overhead and whatnot, 80-ish is about right.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ethernet is rated up to 105 meters or roughly 330 feet.

What's the exact model of the switch? It sounds like it can only do 100meg and with overhead and whatnot, 80-ish is about right.

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/260332/tp-link-tl-sg1008d-8-port-gigabit-desktop-switch/specificaties/

tp-link tl-sg1008d

Comic sans is best font

Just now, KevinSpanish said:

Hmmm, that switch shouldn't have a problem then.

I know you posted a picture of the outlet in question, is it possible to see a picture of a working outlet?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Hmmm, that switch shouldn't have a problem then.

I know you posted a picture of the outlet in question, is it possible to see a picture of a working outlet?

define 'working outlet'

I've had the outlet I posted earlier working, but only when connected directly to the modem

Comic sans is best font