My PC stopped working. Is it the PSU?

I purchased my Corsair RM650X PSU from amazon in mid october of 2016. Everything worked fine until today when my PC cut out and turned off.

The pc wont turn on now and i am not sure what caused this problem. I think it is the PSU due to none of the lights on the motherboard and other parts turning on in the PC. This makes me think that there is no power flow, or the whole pc is broken.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

its either the power supply or the motherboard power distribution. what happened just before the pc turned off?

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

3 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

I purchased my Corsair RM650X PSU from amazon in mid october of 2016. Everything worked fine until today when my PC cut out and turned off.

The pc wont turn on now and i am not sure what caused this problem. I think it is the PSU due to none of the lights on the motherboard and other parts turning on in the PC. This makes me think that there is no power flow, or the whole pc is broken.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Do you have another PSU so that you can check? If not is there any way you can borrow one? Maybe from a friend or someone you know.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

1 minute ago, AdamBGames said:

its either the power supply or the motherboard power distribution. what happened just before the pc turned off?

Basically i was on YouTube and the PC just cut out. I noticed that it seemed to take out the electricity in the room along with it (my room in on its own electric circuit from the rest of the house). It may have been a power cut but i dont think it was considering the rest of the house had power

2 minutes ago, another random person said:

Do you have another PSU so that you can check? If not is there any way you can borrow one? Maybe from a friend or someone you know.

No i dont :(

Just now, Peter Boyle said:

Basically i was on YouTube and the PC just cut out. I noticed that it seemed to take out the electricity in the room along with it (my room in on its own electric circuit from the rest of the house). It may have been a power cut but i dont think it was considering the rest of the house had power

it might have been a circuit breaker. if thats the case, if its a bad psu it could have had a power surge, which can and will take out components not just the power supply. so potentially not just your motherboard and psu could be dead

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

Just now, AdamBGames said:

it might have been a circuit breaker. if thats the case, if its a bad psu it could have had a power surge, which can and will take out components not just the power supply. so potentially not just your motherboard and psu could be dead

Damn i hope its not. I bought a surge protector for my Pc but im assuming if its a bad psu that wont make a difference?

Damn i hope its not. I bought a surge protector for my Pc but im assuming if its a bad psu that wont make a difference?

No, surge protectors only protect the PC from surges from the wall outlet and not from the PSU itself.

Desktop

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

well it depends, those surge protectors dont always work, if its a cheap one, it probably didnt do its job, this is why people invest in UPSs over surge protectors now

well it depends, those surge protectors dont always work, if its a cheap one, it probably didnt do its job, this is why people invest in UPSs over surge protectors now

Damn. It took me almosg 2 years to get the money for this PC it better not be broken because of some cheap surge protector ?

Damn. It took me almosg 2 years to get the money for this PC it better not be broken because of some cheap surge protector ?

is the stuff still in warranty, you might be able to get them fixed or replaced

2 minutes ago, another random person said:

No, surge protectors only protect the PC from surges from the wall outlet and not from the PSU itself.

Do you think my warrenty with corsair would cover at least the cost of the PSU? Its less than 1 year old but i know some things arent covered with their warranty.

is the stuff still in warranty, you might be able to get them fixed or replaced

Yeah they all were bought last october

Do you think my warrenty with corsair would cover at least the cost of the PSU? Its less than 1 year old but i know some things arent covered with their warranty.

Im fairly sure it should still be covered, you were surge protected and all that so they shouldn't deny a warranty claim.

Desktop

LAPTOP

Yeah they all were bought last october

well, call them and see what they say. I cant garentee anything tho

Just now, another random person said:

Im fairly sure it should still be covered, you were surge protected and all that so they shouldn't deny a warranty claim.

Ok thanks. The only thing is, would my cpu and stuff be replaced do you think? After all it isnt intel's fault the psu died

well, call them and see what they say. I cant garentee anything tho

Ok thanks for the help

1 minute ago, Peter Boyle said:

Ok thanks. The only thing is, would my cpu and stuff be replaced do you think? After all it isnt intel's fault the psu died

Limitation of Liability

CORSAIR SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE, OR DATA (WHETHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT) OR COMMERCIAL LOSS FOR BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON YOUR PRODUCT EVEN IF CORSAIR HAS BEEN ADVISED PREVIOUSLY OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. Some local laws do not allow the exclusion or limitation of special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages, so this limitation or exclusion may not apply in your jurisdiction.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/warranty

Desktop

LAPTOP

The Corsair RMx's have something like a 10 year warranty so you're fine for that.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 minutes ago, another random person said:

Limitation of Liability

CORSAIR SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE, OR DATA (WHETHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT) OR COMMERCIAL LOSS FOR BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON YOUR PRODUCT EVEN IF CORSAIR HAS BEEN ADVISED PREVIOUSLY OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. Some local laws do not allow the exclusion or limitation of special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages, so this limitation or exclusion may not apply in your jurisdiction.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/warranty

So im screwed? ?

Sounds like something from the primary stage of the power supply may have failed, in which since the primary side is galvanically isolated from the secondary side (the side of which your components is hooked up to), I would say that your components is likely fine.

But yeah, you'll need to contact Corsair and request a RMA. @Corsair Blake may be able to assist you with this.

42 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

Corsair will have your back as far as the PSU goes. If I remember rightly, RMx units have a 10 year warranty. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Corsair will have your back as far as the PSU goes. If I remember rightly, RMx units have a 10 year warranty. 

I knew it was at least 5 but i was just unsure if they covered this type of fault or not. Thanks for helping though

9 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

I knew it was at least 5 but i was just unsure if they covered this type of fault or not. Thanks for helping though

Yeah, if the PSU itself failed, it'll be covered by the warranty. Like @quan289 said, @Corsair Blake should be able to help you out. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch