Ryzen 5 1600x vs Intel i5 7600k for gaming?

I'm currently looking to upgrade my gaming pc. It's a dinosaur with an AMD phenom ii 925 cpu, gtx 460 graphics card, and some old ass mobo. 

Well, I want to focus on the mobo and cpu first of all, and I'll probably get a gtx 1060 or something along the lines of that later down the road. But the problem I'm having is choosing between the Ryzen 5 1600x, and the Intel i5 7600k. I've been doing research for the past 3 days on these two cpus, and I'm getting mixed information on benchmark results and preferences on either one. 

A lot of the benchmarks say that the i5 is superior for gaming, but the multi-threading of the ryzen is just insane, but people also claim that games don't even use more than 4 cores, so the extra cores on the ryzen are useless. If this is true, then why would anyone even consider the ryzen over the intel? For gaming purposes at least. 

Another problem I'm having is deciding what kind of mobo I should be looking at, if I'm going to go into a ryzen build. I don't know much about mobo's or what to look for besides the number of ports, and the compatibility with your cpu.

All in all, I think people are extremely hyped over the ryzen, but I'm torn between the two, and to be honest, I'm tired of trying to decide between them. I just need someone to tell me which one would be a solid upgrade that'll allow me to continue playing newer games at a decent graphical setting. Specifically MMOs.  

Any information would be extremely welcomed, and appreciated. 

Edit - Oh, and also RAM was a big thing too. I eventually want to replace the whole system, besides the case. I just want to focus on the mobo and cpu first before getting into everything else! Thank you!

i5 is already out of the ring, so go for Ryzen 5 1600.

go for the X if you have a cooler already

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

5 minutes ago, Psych Reaper said:

If this is true, then why would anyone even consider the ryzen over the intel? For gaming purposes at least. 

Ryzen is cheaper 

deciding what kind of mobo I should be looking at

B350 is what you want so you can overclock 

I'll probably get a gtx 1060 or something along the lines of that later down the road.

get an RX 580, better value and more VRAM in all configs 

If the machine is only ever going to game, then intel is fine, but it you are going to be doing anything else and going to be gaming, Ryzen is the better value. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

i5 is already out of the ring, so go for Ryzen 5 1600.

go for the X if you have a cooler already

Never go for the X

My life

If you play triple A games and other intensive stuff, those games can use over 4 cores so the hyperthreading usually helps more than the core performance.

If you play a lot of smaller games or indie games, the i5 will get much better performance.

Also, if you multitask or record/stream then the Ryzen CPU will be a better choice.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7600k is much better for gaming because of its 9% higher IPC (Instructions Per Clock) and higher clock speed than the 1600x both come with no cooler 

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Never go for the X

why?

Just now, Enderman said:

If you play a lot of smaller games or indie games, the i5 will get much better performance.

well Indie games probably won't care, most anything can run them. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

Are you going to just be gaming or also streaming and editing?

Most likely just to game. 

Unless you are using a high end GPU you won't know the difference between the two. I would say definitely get the r5 1600 as its cheaper and would run better in a MMO than a i5 anyways. With dx 12 you will definitely want the r5 over the i5. 

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Never go for the X

But why not if you have a cooler already and have some money from the restaurant after getting some changes?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

well Indie games probably won't care, most anything can run them. 

No, they do, since they often use 4 cores or less, single core performance gives them a nice fps boost.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm currently looking to upgrade my gaming pc. It's a dinosaur with an AMD phenom ii 925 cpu, gtx 460 graphics card, and some old ass mobo. 

Well, I want to focus on the mobo and cpu first of all, and I'll probably get a gtx 1060 or something along the lines of that later down the road. But the problem I'm having is choosing between the Ryzen 5 1600x, and the Intel i5 7600k. I've been doing research for the past 3 days on these two cpus, and I'm getting mixed information on benchmark results and preferences on either one. 

A lot of the benchmarks say that the i5 is superior for gaming, but the multi-threading of the ryzen is just insane, but people also claim that games don't even use more than 4 cores, so the extra cores on the ryzen are useless. If this is true, then why would anyone even consider the ryzen over the intel? For gaming purposes at least. 

Another problem I'm having is deciding what kind of mobo I should be looking at, if I'm going to go into a ryzen build. I don't know much about mobo's or what to look for besides the number of ports, and the compatibility with your cpu.

All in all, I think people are extremely hyped over the ryzen, but I'm torn between the two, and to be honest, I'm tired of trying to decide between them. I just need someone to tell me which one would be a solid upgrade that'll allow me to continue playing newer games at a decent graphical setting. Specifically MMOs.  

Any information would be extremely welcomed, and appreciated. 

Edit - Oh, and also RAM was a big thing too. I eventually want to replace the whole system, besides the case. I just want to focus on the mobo and cpu first before getting into everything else! Thank you!

Let me tell you the truth. I have i5 6600K and a gtx 1060. But when I upgraded to Ryzen 1700X, the fps in most of the games were less. Here is the article: http://www.xtremegaminerd.com/ryzen-1700x-benchmarks/

As you can see in CSGO, I was getting 50 fps less, but after a month, don't know what update struck my PC or was it because of some issue, I am getting exactly the same amount of fps as with i5 6600K which is similar to 7600K. So, go with Ryzen 1600 as it's performance is the same as 1700X in gaming. And one more thing, when I switched from i5 to Ryzen, the multi-tasking is something which is insane, when you switch between games and other applications, it never gets hanged. Even with full load on CPU, you can still open several applications at once. Don't know why there should be any excuse not to buy Ryzen. With 6 cores and 12 threads, 1600 will dominate i5 7600K. 

They perform similarly in games, but the 1600 (not the X) is the better choice as far as available CPU resources.

Just be aware that there are rank issues meaning you'll have to use only two sticks if you want a chance at using fast 3200MHz RAM. AGESA micro-code might have fixed this, but there are mixed reports so far.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

No, they do, since they often use 4 cores or less, single core performance gives them a nice fps boost.

yeah but even a Ryzen CPU could provide well over the refresh rate of most monitors. 

dual cores an iGPUs are enough for most Indie games. 

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

They perform similarly in games, but the 1600 (not the X) is the better choice as far as available CPU resources.

Just be aware that there are rank issues meaning you'll have to use only two sticks if you want a chance at using fast 3200MHz RAM. AGESA micro-code might have fixed this, but there are mixed reports so far.

I'm looking at about maybe 16 gb of ram at most. I'm not going to be doing much besides playing games, and maybe having a bunch of tabs opened up on chrome in the background. Why not get the X version though? Isn't it a better card all around?

No one is giving you legitimate reasons so here I come.

First off, don't get the 1600x, get the 1600. It comes with a decent stock cooler that can do some OCing and OCes just as well as a 1600x.

The reason I usually suggest Ryzen 5 to people rather than i5 CPUs is because of minimums. While i5s do still win when it comes to averages, Ryzen almost always has better minimums, which imo matters more. Would you rather have a consistent experience or one that is sometimes I great and sometimes not?

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2875-amd-r5-1600x-1500x-review-fading-i5-argument/page-4

Hence why nowadays I never recommend i5s for gaming.

9 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Save up a little bit more for the 1700.Trust me it's worth it

1700 doesn't improve gaming performance at all compared to a 1600, I don't know why you're recommending it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

But why not if you have a cooler already and have some money from the restaurant after getting some changes?

Because you can get the exact same preformance by overclocking the base chip(e.g 1400 and 1600)

My life

The i5 is better for gaming due to 9% higher IPC (Instructions Per Clock) and higher clock speed. Pair it with a z270 board and overclock it to 4.5 GHz

cooler suggestions : $90 Noctua dh15

$80 Noctua d15s same as above but with one fan for superior ram compatiblity

$70 uh14s

$70 Raijintek tisis

$46 cryorig h5 ultra

$28 Artic freezer i32 

All of these are excellent coolers ranked in order from priciest (best) to cheapest (worst) these are all excellent perofrmers better than the hyper 212 evo but the h5 ultra along with the i32 are great values

for liquid cooling go with cryorig a80 but air cooling is cheaper and almost as effective, however is the best cooler that isn't custom so if you have the budget I highly reommend it

I read an overclocking guide on intel chips for this information

Just now, DocSwag said:

No one is giving you legitimate reasons so here I come.

First off, don't get the 1600x, get the 1600. It comes with a decent stock cooler that can do some OCing and OCes just as well as a 1600x.

The reason I usually suggest Ryzen 5 to people rather than i5 CPUs is because of minimums. While i5s do still win when it comes to averages, Ryzen almost always has better minimums, which imo matters more. Would you rather have a consistent experience or one that is sometimes I great and sometimes not?

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2875-amd-r5-1600x-1500x-review-fading-i5-argument/page-4

Hence why nowadays I never recommend i5s for gaming.

1700 doesn't improve gaming performance at all compared to a 1600, I don't know why you're recommending it.

Imo 70 dollars for a extra 2 cores is worth it

My life

8 minutes ago, Psych Reaper said:

Most likely just to game. 

Please look at my other post with recommended coolers at different price points, by the way, can you share your build with me so I can make suggestions?

Just now, Psych Reaper said:

I'm looking at about maybe 16 gb of ram at most. I'm not going to be doing much besides playing games, and maybe having a bunch of tabs opened up on chrome in the background.

You can only get the top speeds of RAM when using 2x8GB sticks. And, if you're only gaming, you shouldn't require more than 16GB except for exceptions.

Just now, Psych Reaper said:

Why not get the X version though?  Isn't it a better card all around?

It's AMD's version of Turbo Boost. It's not worth it according to everyone on the forum.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Because you can get the exact same preformance by overclocking the base chip(e.g 1400 and 1600)

That is right! But i am still going to the 1700X if i make a whole new system later on

2 minutes ago, THE ABSURD BIRD said:

The i5 is better for gaming due to 9% higher IPC (Instructions Per Clock) and higher clock speed. Pair it with a z270 board and overclock it to 4.5 GHz

cooler suggestions : $90 Noctua dh15

$80 Noctua d15s same as above but with one fan for superior ram compatiblity

$70 uh14s

$70 Raijintek tisis

$46 cryorig h5 ultra

$28 Artic freezer i32 

All of these are excellent coolers ranked in order from priciest (best) to cheapest (worst) these are all excellent perofrmers better than the hyper 212 evo but the h5 ultra along with the i32 are great values

for liquid cooling go with cryorig a80 but air cooling is cheaper and almost as effective, however is the best cooler that isn't custom so if you have the budget I highly reommend it

I read an overclocking guide on intel chips for this information

The picture to make your statement perfect

image.png

image.png

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1400 vs 1500x isn't the same as the 1500x comes with a better stock cooler and more cache.

Imo 70 dollars for a extra 2 cores is worth it

But why?!?

Who cares if those two cores aren't useful?

It's like telling a gamer to get 64gb ram instead of 32 because it costs 70% more, even though they're NEVER GOING TO USE that extra ram.

If anything, that money would much better be spent on a 7700k or bigger ssd rather than extra cores that won't even impact gaming performance.

You're basically telling op to spend more on a CPU that gives no performance gain because it has better multi threaded performance, even though that doesn't necessarily even matter to op.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb