Why is this Dell 144hz cheaper, and help choosing between 4 monitors

Drexl
Go to solution Solved by xsimplyjosh,

TN Pros and Cons

Pros

1) cheaper

2) higher refresh rate (1ms typically so you have less stutter/lag if i rmb correctly)

CONS
1) not as vibrant as IPS in terms of color reproduction and accuracy

2) Bad viewing angle in contrast to IPS

IPS Pros and Cons

PROS
1) Better viewing angle [178 degrees overall]

2) better color reproduction and accuracy [sRGB/color gamut]

CONS

1) expensive af but again, quality and difficulty of producing these panels (especially if they were to have fast frame rates!!!)

2) lower refresh rate in contrast to TN (asus has a 4ms one in their exp lineup which i deem quite excellent given the challenges associated.)

if me personally i'll spring for IPS displays, the refresh rate difference means nothing to me imo... but colors do enhance the experience so YMMV.

also being a photographer/videographer whilst a gamer on the side, ips is a must for me and the desire for faster refresh rates isn't a necessity to me... maybe if your intention is to play more fps games and are less concerned with quality of color/viewing angles then a TN model shud suffice. whilst saving you cost...

ADD:
From what I seen, asus and viewsonic are almost the same, with the differences being the design. then again the difference in Australia was 200aud for viewsonic and asus pg279q ... essentially you are going to decide between these two monitors based on the design you like. i would base my decision between these two purely because i need an all-in-one monitor and these two fit the bill [and also i value superb color reproduction which TN fails to deliver], i for one think these two are priced fairly given the challenges associated with cramming all 4 in one [fast refresh rates!, IPSpanel , 144/165Hz frame rates and 1440p resolution into an all-in-one package].

if you dont need ips or that superb color accuracy then spring for dell and save yourself abit of $$ :) you'll still get 144Hz goody at a 1440p resolution

So I went through http://www.144hzmonitors.com/list-of-g-sync-monitors/ and narrowed my monitor search to these: http://a.co/g95BUZv. The dell on that list was $100 less than that a few days ago. I'm a bit annoyed that I potentially missed out on a good deal. Regardless, it's still the cheapest offering. But, why is it cheaper than the others? Does anyone have experience with, or reliable reviews of, this panel to explain why it might not be as good as the other three? Which of these monitors (or another entirely if you think they're all garbage) would you choose? Primary use: gaming. IPS preferred, but if it's a good TN panel I don't mind all that much.

Also, as is probably obvious from that link I'm looking for a 1440p high refresh rate monitor. I realize there are a ton of topics about this here already and many people have been suggesting waiting for the next major panel releases later this year. However, I'm not interested in high refresh rate 4k. It seems silly when my 1080ti can't even get close to 144fps at max settings at 1440p in a lot of games (The Division for example). So, is there any reason to wait?

The reason why the Dell monitor is cheaper than the others is because while the others are IPS monitors the Dell monitor is a TN monitor. IPS displays offers better color accuracy, better color gamut, and better viewing angles than TN does and is more expensive to produce, not to mention that TN has a much easier time achieving higher refresh rates than IPS does so the IPS display needs to be of better quality to reach such high refresh rates compared to TN displays. 

3 minutes ago, Rampakslue said:

The reason why the Dell monitor is cheaper than the others is because while the others are IPS monitors the Dell monitor is a TN monitor. IPS displays offers better color accuracy, better color gamut, and better viewing angles than TN does and is more expensive to produce, not to mention that TN has a much easier time achieving higher refresh rates than IPS does so the IPS display needs to be of better quality to reach such high refresh rates compared to TN displays. 

The ASUS PG278QR 27" 1ms 165Hz G-SYNC Eye Care Gaming Screen LCD Monitor is TN. Granted it's also 165hz refresh rate compared to 144hz on the others. Is that that all there is to it though? Is that Dell a good panel?

TN Pros and Cons

Pros

1) cheaper

2) higher refresh rate (1ms typically so you have less stutter/lag if i rmb correctly)

CONS
1) not as vibrant as IPS in terms of color reproduction and accuracy

2) Bad viewing angle in contrast to IPS

IPS Pros and Cons

PROS
1) Better viewing angle [178 degrees overall]

2) better color reproduction and accuracy [sRGB/color gamut]

CONS

1) expensive af but again, quality and difficulty of producing these panels (especially if they were to have fast frame rates!!!)

2) lower refresh rate in contrast to TN (asus has a 4ms one in their exp lineup which i deem quite excellent given the challenges associated.)

if me personally i'll spring for IPS displays, the refresh rate difference means nothing to me imo... but colors do enhance the experience so YMMV.

also being a photographer/videographer whilst a gamer on the side, ips is a must for me and the desire for faster refresh rates isn't a necessity to me... maybe if your intention is to play more fps games and are less concerned with quality of color/viewing angles then a TN model shud suffice. whilst saving you cost...

ADD:
From what I seen, asus and viewsonic are almost the same, with the differences being the design. then again the difference in Australia was 200aud for viewsonic and asus pg279q ... essentially you are going to decide between these two monitors based on the design you like. i would base my decision between these two purely because i need an all-in-one monitor and these two fit the bill [and also i value superb color reproduction which TN fails to deliver], i for one think these two are priced fairly given the challenges associated with cramming all 4 in one [fast refresh rates!, IPSpanel , 144/165Hz frame rates and 1440p resolution into an all-in-one package].

if you dont need ips or that superb color accuracy then spring for dell and save yourself abit of $$ :) you'll still get 144Hz goody at a 1440p resolution

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

9 hours ago, xsimplyjosh said:

This is what I wanted to hear. I think I'm going to go for a refurbished ViewSonic. I like the included speakers and headphone holder. The refurb price is nice too. I've had good luck with refurbished products most of my life so I'm not too worried. Besides,  Amazon will take anything back.

Correction the asus is 300aud more here (1189aud vs 899aud of a viewsonic)

glad i was able to help u save some money :) the only thing imo u pay for asus is branding n design unless u have some loyalty and price is not concern and the design is appealing***

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers