UNBOXING A QUANTUM COMPUTER! – Holy $H!T Ep 19

On 7/6/2017 at 0:00 AM, Luscious said:

So if you were to throw 2000 FahCore 21 work units at it at once how much PPD would that 2000Q make? Or are we talking exaflop numbers here? I'm curious that the video doesn't mention any benchmarks comparable to other supercomputers/clusters.

It may be worth mentioning that arguments about D-Wave borderline "snake oil selling" are far from settled. Being a private company, most of what they do is naturally industrial secret, but the scientific community seems quite skeptical about their claims of a "commercial 2000 qubits computer", while handling a handful of qubits in a laboratory is still considered a success. Probably @akzy can explain that better; I got tipped about this by other people doing research in quantum computing, but you can find a summary of the subject in Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Wave_Systems#Reception

On 7/14/2017 at 0:53 AM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It may be worth mentioning that arguments about D-Wave borderline "snake oil selling" are far from settled. Being a private company, most of what they do is naturally industrial secret, but the scientific community seems quite skeptical about their claims of a "commercial 2000 qubits computer", while handling a handful of qubits in a laboratory is still considered a success. Probably @akzy can explain that better; I got tipped about this by other people doing research in quantum computing, but you can find a summary of the subject in Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Wave_Systems#Reception

D-Wave is able to tackle one problem (and scientifically shown) really quite well so its impressive in that regard but certainly not a quantum computer. 
One of the interesting things to consider about qubits is also the connectivity. This D-Wave machine does not have all these qubits directly "entangled" (defined below) with each other. They only connect in small groups so it doesn't scale as 2^n (regular scaling for a universal quantum computer).

My lab for instance manages to trap just a small handful and that's pretty par for the course in universal quantum computing.

quantum entanglement - This is the method by which two quantum particles (qubits for us) can be intrinsically related i.e. you can't measure one without measuring the other. 

I dont even see a box let alone an unboxing of anything.

I just shake my head now at Linus.

What the heck is he doing lying to his viewers?

12 hours ago, yathis said:

I dont even see a box let alone an unboxing of anything.

I just shake my head now at Linus.

What the heck is he doing lying to his viewers?

You're either missing a sarcasm tag or you're being an extreme pedant.

Awesome video, I'd love to see more of this kind of thing more often on the channel.

On 7/6/2017 at 4:21 PM, ventsy said:

Wondering is programming same manner as standard computers? What language they use?

Thought I'd answer since I have experience here. You essentially program these machines currently in a processor specific assembly. Some people have made some C compiler mods to support these, but the ecosystem isn't exactly mature. If you're doing quantum programming, most your work will be in assembly. 

And when I say assembly I mean in the technical sense, it's nothing that compares to X86 or ARM assembly.

If anyone is interested I'd recommend checking out the IBM Quantum Experience, they give you access to a very very basic annealing processor to practice quantum programming against. It's not a perfect parallel, but great beginner resource.

On 07/07/2017 at 4:09 AM, akzy said:

Any questions ask away.

can this tech do encryption operations like a shit ton of parallel  crypto-currency transactions?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_