I'm kind of confused as to what I should reinstall when updating my motherboard, cpu and RAM

So I'm updating my Motherboard, CPU, RAM and CPU cooler. Now I am kind of getting confused as to what I should do on the software side of things. I don't want to lose any of my files. I know I have to reinstall windows in some way but I have no idea in what way, how and when. I only have a windows 8 disc but I should get windows 10 again by that right? 

My original plan was to uninstall all drivers that are part of the old hardware, then swap everything and install new drivers, but that doesn't seem like a good plan after reading stuf online. So how should I do this? I will of course back everything up, and uninstall current drivers but what should I do after that?

If anyone could link me to a good guide or explain what to do I would be very thankfull!

List of parts:

• AMD fx-8230 -> Ryzen 5 1600x
  • msi 760ga-p43 (fx) -> Asus Prime B350-Plus
  • corsair ddr3 XMs3 -> Corsair Vengeance LPX - ddr4
  • Nvidea GTX 970
  • Cooler master 500 W psu
  • Samsung evo SSD 250 GB (has all the drivers)
  • WD 500 GB hdd (has no drivers and only files and games)
  • an optical drive

You may not ned to reinstall windows, just contact microsoft about re-activating it. But what I would do is find a blank drive for a new install then recover the files you want. Format the old drive then use a drive cloner. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

You don't need to reinstall anything.   Once you're done swapping everything out, go to "Settings" in Windows, "Update and security", and "Activation".  You'll have to reactivate there.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

You may not ned to reinstall windows, just contact microsoft about re-activating it. But what I would do is find a blank drive for a new install then recover the files you want. Format the old drive then use a drive cloner. 

That will NOT work. source: me spending 8 hours explaining to a bunch of idiots what an upgrade means.

After swapping all the parts, try to boot from the old install of windows to guarantee the re-activation then either reinstall or use the "refresh windows" option

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

That will NOT work. source: me spending 8 hours explaining to a bunch of idiots what an upgrade means.

After swapping all the parts, try to boot from the old install of windows to guarantee the re-activation then either reinstall or use the "refresh windows" option

What? Not loosing all your files to a clean install? or phoning microsoft?

5 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Which method? 

Just now, fixitnow said:

What? Not loosing all your files to a clean install? or phoning microsoft?

phoning Microshaft.

I made the mistake of formatting before re-activating and ended up having to use one of my last Win 8.1 keys in the upgrade process (yes, it still work. no, I won't tell you how. Google is your friend). Long story short, the activation process failed after reinstalling, contacted support, bounced back and forward from technician to technician and a night's worth of lost sleep later, I basically needed to buy a new key. I highly doubt many people have access to a metric shitload of keys like I do

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Just now, revsilverspine said:

phoning Microshaft.

I made the mistake of formatting before re-activating and ended up having to use one of my last Win 8.1 keys in the upgrade process (yes, it still work. no, I won't tell you how. Google is your friend). Long story short, the activation process failed after reinstalling, contacted support, bounced back and forward from technician to technician and a night's worth of lost sleep later, I basically needed to buy a new key. I highly doubt many people have access to a metric shitload of keys like I do

Fair enough. It work for me, but after a very long phone call. Why can't we go back to windows XP days? You put the key in once and activate it an boom, never to worry about it again. 

12 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Fair enough. It work for me, but after a very long phone call. Why can't we go back to windows XP days? You put the key in once and activate it an boom, never to worry about it again. 

because no offline activation because reasons

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Thank you all for answering, I guess I'll go by JoostinOnline methode

17 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You don't need to reinstall anything.   Once you're done swapping everything out, go to "Settings" in Windows, "Update and security", and "Activation".  You'll have to reactivate there.

Now if I plug everything in and the system doesn't start windows up correctly (after all settings in bios are correct) I should reinstall and get everything from backup right?

Now can I just keep hhd as it and shouldn't delete anything on that is if that is the case? Because I didn't install windows and drivers on that?

Also, in one of the LTT videos they linked to a program where you can just pick what drivers to uninstall, does anyone have like a link or anything to that?

12 minutes ago, Vertex0 said:

Thank you all for answering, I guess I'll go by JoostinOnline methode

Now if I plug everything in and the system doesn't start windows up correctly (after all settings in bios are correct) I should reinstall and get everything from backup right?

Now can I just keep hhd as it and shouldn't delete anything on that is if that is the case? Because I didn't install windows and drivers on that?

Also, in one of the LTT videos they linked to a program where you can just pick what drivers to uninstall, does anyone have like a link or anything to that?

Your old drivers shouldn't be a problem.  With the hardware missing, Windows won't use them.  It doesn't hurt having them on your system, although they obviously take up a little bit of space.  You'll have to install a bunch of new drivers though.  Usually motherboards come with a CD that has drivers on it.  The only thing that could be a problem is the GPU, and you're keeping the same one.  Once you've got your new system up and running, you can uninstall any motherboard-specific utilities from Settings->Apps.

Just to be safe, use ProduKey to back up the key you have. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440