Nvidia's Max-Q broken down

Fantastic article on notebookcheck, if I do say so myself. But that would be bragging.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Opinion-Nvidia-s-Max-Q-is-a-maximum-rip-off.232038.0.html

@Pendragon @Dackzy

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

wow that's informative. too bad people don't like to do research and will simply see "1080" and believe that's what they are getting. Or the people that will believe the marketing material and about how amazing it is and not take the time to read stuff like this article.

It's a huge kick in the face for customers.

Going to bookmark this topic for when i see people wanting to get a Max-q. the more informed people are the less likely manufacturers will do stupid shit like this in the future........but not likely

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Sierra Fox said:

wow that's informative. too bad people don't like to do research and will simply see "1080" and believe that's what they are getting. Or the people that will believe the marketing material and about how amazing it is and not take the time to read stuff like this article.

It's a huge kick in the face for customers.

Going to bookmark this topic for when i see people wanting to get a Max-q. the more informed people are the less likely manufacturers will do stupid shit like this in the future........but not likely

Thank you, thank you :D

Always wanted to do things like this.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Nicely written, you have a lot of good points with facts backing them up.

You probably already know my stance on this Max-Q BS Nvidia is trying to pull off, so you would know I back you 100% up.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

55 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

Max-Q 1080 is just about the performance of a desktop class 1070

Max-Q is still a nice idea but you have to pay a premium for it

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

52 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

snip

This is lit. 100 percent lit. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Just now, Pendragon said:

This is lit. 100 percent lit. 

It's getting mixed reactions all over the net whoever sees it.

OCN thinks it's all fine and dandy (as usual). NBR is loving it. Not a peep out of /r/GamingLaptops yet, I'm banned from /r/pcmasterrace and I can't post it in /r/nvidia so if you want to post them yourself and say X-Post from /r/GamingLaptops, feel free to do so for me.

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

My article has been butchered xD

what happened?

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

what happened?

#6 Klaus Hinum 13 hours ago

We are currently reworking the article (so older comments still reference the original version) as there were some to harsh formulated, misleading and also wrong informations in there. Sorry about the inconvinience, the article was published too early without going through internal revision.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

what happened?

Crap happened.

My information is correct. They just don't like it. I want them to prove me wrong, not the other way around. I have enough evidence to back up my claims, they are going to need evidence to prove me wrong.

There's some issue with a few phrases used, and there's also some NDA information involved (that I was not aware of) which might change things a little. D2ultima still has final say over whether he accepts the changes or not, and if/once the article is up, I'll update the time so it shows up as new in the feed.

i read the articles involved, its not wrong. I know many laptop manufacturers who will impose limits that will burden the user. From what i read in the article it is the TDP that controls things and all nvidia does is sell the chips with a setting that gives it it's most efficient performance per watt. theoretically by using this the GPU can obtain higher clocks if it is capable of operating on lower voltage but the TDP is up to the laptop manufacturer and is what limits the GPU's performance.

WIth my experience of alienware and dell's method of disabling the onboard GPU when the AGA is used, it is obvious that many laptop manufacturers are going to implement max-Q in a TDP limited fashion just to claim they have a 1080 in a super thin laptop that is super portable and make a killing out of the prices when the performance will be subpar.

The article's been updated, this is the most complete form as far as I know: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Opinion-Nvidia-s-Max-Q-Maximum-efficiency-minimum-performance.232038.0.html

By sunday probably we'll have it properly sorted out.