Is Apple easier than Android?

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

iCloud

Much more unifying than anything Android has. 

to be fair the google ecosystem with drive and all the other google features is pretty powerful. I even keep most of my contacts in google to keep things together, not knocking iCloud but there are options on the android side of things

iCloud

Really? I guess that you need it for Apple devices, since you can't copy and paste things from your PC to your phone/tablet.... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, DXMember said:

what does the OS have to do with the hardware?

yup, why does putting a cheap phone against a 1000$ closed source phone has to do with hardware. 

IOS is more optimized, less variety, i was pointing out the fact OPs dad probably had a low-end Android phone.  

4 minutes ago, DXMember said:

the java based kernel is crap, the only thing it has going for ir is the unreasonable widespread adoption and developer support because of the java

• You can't really create an OS with Java because of the way Java works.
  • Android is built on top of the Linux Kernel
  • Google created their own implementation of the Java API which is incompatible with Oracle's (or Sun's, if you want to go that far) implementation.
  • How is its adoption rate "unreasonable?" Can I say x86 has an unreasonable widespread adoption? Can I say Linux has an unreasonable widespread adoption? EDIT: Also developers actually hate choices. See:
    standards.png

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

iCloud

Much more unifying than anything Android has. 

Google Drive?

I think that's how I got a custom wallpaper on my iPad.

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I guess that you need it for Apple devices, since you can't copy and paste things from your PC to your phone/tablet.... 

? Thats something handoffhas been doing for a while now. Do you know what that is

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

? Thats something handoff has been doing for a while now. 

Idk what handoff is but anyways, Android has Google Drive, which is similar to iCloud

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, 8bitbeliever said:

to be fair the google ecosystem with drive and all the other google features is pretty powerful.

Yeah it certainly is, however, not as powerful as iCloud. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

18 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

which android phone? that's like saying i hate my 200$ best buy windows computer but love my 3000$ MacBook pro.  

android is open source OS, they can be cheap as 10$ or expensive as 15000$ "luxury" phones. 

It was a Galaxy S something or other.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Idk what handoff is but anyways, Android has Google Drive, which is similar to iCloud

Handoff

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yup, why does putting a cheap phone against a 1000$ closed source phone has to do with hardware. 

IOS is more optimized, less variety, i was pointing out the fact OPs dad probably had a low-end Android phone.  

OPs dad was talking usability and accessibility

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, DXMember said:

OPs dad was talking usability and accessibility

nope, price matters that was i was saying, "usability" of a cheap low-end phone will be different from a 1000$ flagship. 

22 minutes ago, typographie said:

I think there's a case to make that iOS is easier for those who need the simplest possible system and who would be prone to mistakes if given the freedom to customize. But in my opinion Android is a lot closer to a traditional Windows/MacOS/Linux interface and might be a cleaner transition for people who are familiar with basic modern computing.

That does make sense. When I transitioned from android to iOS I was really, really confused. Not because it was just different, but because you have to simplify and relax your mind. I'm not kidding, it's like the settings on iOS, i had a hard time getting used to go to settings to change settings for an app (instead on the app itself). The main reason I tried iOS was because android wasn't stable enough for me and I was tired of having an old version of the OS even when buying flagships. 

For now I'm very happy with iOS, but I must say, the more I go deep into the ecosystem the more afraid I am because I know it's gonna be difficult to switch again due how oppressive Apple is.

11 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

fwiw the Samsung Galaxy range of phones tend to be more expensive than Apple flagships in the UK. Considering he moved from a flagship Android device to an iPhone SE (which is entry level and around half the price of the phone he came from) you aren't doing much for your point.

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

nope, price matters that was i was saying, "usability" of a cheap low-end phone will be different from a 1000$ flagship. 

The fact that you keep saying this after it is pointed out that your idea of a "cheap low end phone" is actually more expensive than the iPhone in question reveals all that you need to know about your intellectual honesty in this discussion.

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Google Drive?

iCloud Drive? 

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

I'd imagine that changes the performance, does it really affect usability?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

4 minutes ago, Tiz said:

due how oppressive Apple is.

just fyi the only thing you can't transfer over is app purchases and movies 

Music ( iTunes isn't DRMed anymore), contacts, photos, etc. can all be transferred. 

Just now, DXMember said:

yes 

7 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Btw, the inevitable "you are wrong for liking something I don't" people that appear whenever someone doesn't prefer Android make Android really unappealing tbh.

Same could be said about anything.

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

Only if the system stutters and such. Apple makes it a point to keep their iDevices responsive, possibly at the cost of the app's performance. But I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yes 

daym... I miss the days when phones were just phones... you know for calling and texting people?

27 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And I refuse to install iTunes on my computer unless it's contained in its own little world.

May I ask why? I have been running iTunes on my Windows machine for abut 2 years. It runs fine, just a little slow calling up the store sometimes. 

It doesn't write files without your permission or anything.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

just fyi the only thing you can't transfer over is app purchases. 

Music ( iTunes isn't DRMed anymore), contacts, photos, etc. can all be transferred. 

I was talking more about things like the Apple Watch or the Airpods. While you can use an Android smartwatch with any Android phone and even iOS, Apple Watch only works on iOS so you would be forced to sell it. Airpods work with any bluetooth device, fair enough, but they aren't nearly as good for the price as they are when they work withing the Apple ecosystem. I was talking more about these kind of things you see.

Just now, DXMember said:

daym... I miss the days when phones were just phones... you know for calling and texting people?

to be honest, that's what i use my phones for, most intensive thing i do is use the camera, browse Reddit, text, call, answer emails. 

Just now, Tiz said:

I was talking more about things like the Apple Watch or the Airpods. While you can use an Android smartwatch with any Android phone and even iOS, Apple Watch only works on iOS so you would be forced to sell it. Airpods work with any bluetooth device, fair enough, but they aren't nearly as good for the price as they are when they work withing the Apple ecosystem. I was talking more about these kind of things you see.

Oh hardware accessories. Well yeah the Apple Watch only works on the iPhone (for obvious reasons, not just making people buy iPhones). And yeah the AirPods work with anything but they behave like any set of independent wireless headphones, certainly not as elegant as on iOS and MacOS. 

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

May I ask why? I have been running iTunes on my Windows machine for abut 2 years. It runs fine, just a little slow calling up the store sometimes. 

It doesn't write files without your permission or anything.

• It won't play formats that I have in my library. Foobar2K and Winamp are the only two that will.
  • I've already committed to Amazon Music for my digital music purchases. At least I can purchase and download songs from a web browser. I only look at iTunes if Amazon doesn't have it.
  • I don't particularly care for an app that tries to do everything media related.
  • If this is still a thing https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4665847?tstart=0, then no. Applications should not rearrange where my files are without my input, ever.
Edited by M.Yurizaki

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Oh hardware accessories. Well yeah the Apple Watch only works on the iPhone (for obvious reasons, not just making people buy iPhones). And yeah the AirPods work with anything but they behave like any set of independent wireless headphones, certainly not as elegant as on iOS and MacOS. 

My own wife owns an Apple Watch with an iPhone after trying a LG Urban with Android which was awful, unreliable and slow. Apple Watch is like magic, so generally I forgive the close ecosystem, as at least it works, but again, the price to pay is that if one day you want to change, you have a bunch of hardware not compatible with anything but Apple.

As a fact, I live in Spain (you might have noticed my awful english), the case is that Apple Pay seems awesome in USA but here is non existent, basically there's only 1 bank compatible with Apple Pay, and only Apple Stores are compatible.... On the other side any Android device with NFC works great with most banks in most establishments. That's one of the few things I miss from Android.

EDIT: Oh wow that the hell! The forum recovered my post when I tried to submit while the thread was locked up! Props to the coders...