Is Apple easier than Android?

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Snip

That isn't the point. Elderly and tech tend to go together like healthy eating and fast food. The point was Apple products in general get touted as easy mode and I've dealt with enough people at my day job who really should stop putting iPhones in the hands of old people. (Smartphones in general)

Just now, Mooshi said:

That isn't the point. Elderly and tech tend to go together like healthy eating and fast food. The point was Apple products in general get touted as easy mode and I've dealt with enough people at my day job who really should stop putting iPhones in the hands of old people. (Smartphones in general)

Then say smartphones in general if that's what pisses you off. Don't go off on the people giving elderly iPhones. Elderly want to be in touch with their grandkids. Mine do, that's why they have smartphones now. They want to Skype, they want to use WhatsApp to keep in touch with their children and grandchildren. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Then say smartphones in general if that's what pisses you off. Don't go off on the people giving elderly iPhones. Elderly want to be in touch with their grandkids. Mine do, that's why they have smartphones now. They want to Skype, they want to use WhatsApp to keep in touch with their children and grandchildren. 

I'm not pissed off, it's a part of my day job that's hard to ignore and it's usually iPhones that give more trouble troubleshooting than Android since something as simple as sharing an Apple ID can cause all sorts of confusion.

If anything, I'm glad they can keep in touch with grandkids and it's pretty cute when they go on about how crazy advanced smartphones are. The main point is still Apple is touted as ease of use, but it all depends on the individual and certain demographics have more issues than others.

Used both and honestly, if you're technically inclined, difficulty is about the same for both platforms.

As long as it isn't Blackberry.. those things are weeeiiird.

The middle ground of both OS would be Windows 10 Mobile... but that is not really a thing sadly.

You have a great interface, intuitive, and easy to use, but you have more power and some flexibility.

I think Microsoft should take Android, and highly modify it (not just skin), turning it into Windows 10 Mobile, but it can run Android apps, and has the same Windows 10 integration as it has now with Windows 10 Mobile (example: send/receive SMS from your PC using your phone, while not needed to plug your phone to the system). This way they'll have a competitive platform, and they use their own server and update system knowledge, to deliver updates, and not be at the mercy of the phone manufacture and carrier to get updates. Already, with Microsoft system on Windows 10 Mobile carriers can't block anything. It took Microsoft 2 tries (WP7 and WP8), but they manage to by-pass carriers crap.

40 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The middle ground of both OS would be Windows 10 Mobile... but that is not really a thing sadly.

You have a great interface, intuitive, and easy to use, but you have more power and some flexibility.

I think Microsoft should take Android, and highly modify it (not just skin), turning it into Windows 10 Mobile, but it can run Android apps, and has the same Windows 10 integration as it has now with Windows 10 Mobile (example: send/receive SMS from your PC using your phone, while not needed to plug your phone to the system). This way they'll have a competitive platform, and they use their own server and update system knowledge, to deliver updates, and not be at the mercy of the phone manufacture and carrier to get updates. Already, with Microsoft system on Windows 10 Mobile carriers can't block anything. It took Microsoft 2 tries (WP7 and WP8), but they manage to by-pass carriers crap.

That would definitely be an interesting turn of events! We could definitely use another competitor in the market. I don't know why windows mobile never really took off, I guess maybe lack of support? It would be nice to have it as another option.

1 hour ago, 8bitbeliever said:

That would definitely be an interesting turn of events! We could definitely use another competitor in the market. I don't know why windows mobile never really took off, I guess maybe lack of support? It would be nice to have it as another option.

Windows phone never took off due to a multitude of reasons. It is a whole conversation by itself. But if I were to summarize things:

• The company was moving like molasses.
  • They never valued or consider end-consider, always enterprise. This is mostly due to Blackberry. Apple went with consumers, and that made consumer (with Android picking off as a cheap iPhone option) to push companies to allow to their phone instead of a company phone.
  • Microsoft was so slow, that they release a phone OS in a hurry (took time to dev it, but due to miss management in first wanting to Windows 7 kernel, then mid dev scrap it and return back to the Windows CE kernel due to manager change. Windows CE which was super dated, and limited, and hence the reason to go with Windows 7 kernel in the first place... so go figure.. I mean you could not even change ring tone when WP7 was release, a feature dump phone could do just fine) Then despite this, you would think that they would release updates.. NOPE... 3 year life cycle like normal Windows on PC. Meanwhile Apple and Android pushes updates after updates after updates adding features, fixing bugs, fixing issues... for WP7 users... you had to wait... sure eventually you had like a "Service Pack" style update... yay.... and this is when WP7 started to really lag behind.
  • Windows Phone 8 was dropping Windows CE kernel for Windows 8 kernel, great! But that means now they are 3 years behind the rest... and again... slow updates
  • Internally, Windows Phone was treated as a fad. Most manager linked to Windows phone saw smartphones as nothing more than a fad... something that will die, so no resources where giving, and dev, despite doing the best they can (and this shows as if you use a Windows Phone all you see is potential left and right.... while awesome.. potential that is never taken advantage, due to lack of resources as the company, continuing with WP8, treated smartphone as nothing more than a fad).
  • No upgrade from WP7 users to WP8 despite what was said.
  • One a very few set of phones on WP8 got W10M, despite what was promised, and even then, many where let go after.
  • Never making really premium phones, with some exceptions.
  • Low to no carrier store profits, made all carriers never pushed the devices. They were getting lucrative amount form Samsung, Apple, LG etc.
  • Wake me up when you hear an advertisement... still waiting. The company is unable to communicate with consumers.

Windows 10 Mobile is when Microsoft go it right in structuring, thanks to the restructure of Windows 10, and the Insider program, making the company always push development forwards.. no more waiting 3 years to get the same OS as before, with a few set of features and a decent set of bug fixes and a new GUI... at best. It is continuous, every several months, which is the way it should be in this fast moving tech world. They also manage to this massive catch-up to Android and iOS, had bugs at release, but nothing that wasn't quickly fixed after.

BUT, now, the lack of apps is a serious barrier. Microsoft is super lucky to have an phone with market-share smaller than Blackberry and have more apps on it than Blackberry ever dreamed. (I think it is because it is companies who have the extra resources to made a phone on a dead system, and have done ti mostly because went they used it, they saw the many potentials that the OS delivers... it is the only explanation to justify this... keep in mind that despite Microsoft not selling any Windows 10 Mobile, Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, Pandora, Instagram, Facebook Messenger, Uber, and more keeps the app updated... last.. and slow.. but updated.. which doesn't make any business sense.) Sadly, all these apps aren't enough, as you can imagine. The solution, and the only hope that the company has, is to go side ways in the market. Similar to how Google found a need in the PC space, with the introduction of Chromebooks and now continues to grow slowly.

What Microsoft should have done, is give Windows Phone 7 source code and all, full patent access to Nokia, access to Microsoft Update servers. And let Nokia make the phones, work on the OS, and advertise the platform. Nokia has the know how for the hardware, and have the skills and agility to do fast update cycles of an OS. Instead of the mess they have done. But it is what it is. As a result Microsoft is paying dearly with billion in potential loss revenue per year, because they were closed minded.

Anyway, even going fast in summary on this topic, you end up with a long post.

13 hours ago, Froody129 said:

You must remember that Android has many flavours and modifications you can put on. IMO Android is more of a mobile computer, while iOS is more simplistic as to its capabilities. I prefer iOS just because I'm used to it and I do all my important stuff on the PC, so I don't need a very capable phone

This, that's the best way to think about it. Android is for people that want a more desktop like experience on the go, while iOS is for people that just want something simple that does its job, and well. Basically, it's all about preference.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

12 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Nope. Android is only as complex as you desire and make it. iOS is forever stuck in stupid mode.

But you have to know how to use it to make it be in "stupid mode" 

I bet you haven't even used an iPhone recently. There are very little limitations outside of childish customization. 

"ohh look at me I want a pink theme and comic sans"

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

There are very little limitations outside of childish customization. 

Custom launchers, full and configurable KB+M support, and MHL enable me to run and MHL capable phone as a lightweight PC.

Applications that can modify the actual characteristics of the ROM I'm using, such as powertoggles. Or I can change some of it through settings, such as animation scaling (ooh pretty vs. squeezing every bit of perfomance I can out of a phone).

And I can straight modify, create, or run any ROM I want to meet my needs if (by small chance) there isn't an option out there already.

Or I can just use my android as a phone and MP3 player.

Whereas with iPhone, you can only use it as such without jailbreaking it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I guess it depends on the person... My mom figured out how to use her s7 by the end of the day when she first got it after using nothing but windows phones prior to that and it took her a week to learn how to use her ipad properly. Same thing went for my dad he pretty much knows how to use his Note 5 better than my mom can use her s7. It comes down to how well that person can take in new information and actually apply it.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Apple IOS has the advantage that it is designed for specific hardware so is typically faster and appears to be more "fluid", where as android has to work with the bargin basement devices all he way up to the higher ones, IOS also tends to be the first port of call for app developers as so many people have IOS phone. 

Android on the other hand can be customised to your hearts content. If you don't like one android phone there will be plenty that you do like. Because android is so universal you can get phones that have photography in mind and others for moves etc. Android phones are typically cheaper then IOS as apple have decided they can jack the prices up. 

Personally I use android as the phones are cheaper(on contract) and its what I am used to. If you are used to IOS then you will find that easer for obvious reasons. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Just now, XenosTech said:

windows phones prior to that and it took her a week to learn

In fairness windows phones are really bad, I had a 630 for two years and it was awful. The phone its self was actually good, but it was let down my windows 8.1 mobile. 

3 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

In fairness windows phones are really bad, I had a 630 for two years and it was awful. The phone its self was actually good, but it was let down my windows 8.1 mobile. 

Yeah windows mobile was a pain to use and it wasn't even straight forward to flash it either

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Yeah windows mobile was a pain to use and it wasn't even straight forward to flash it either

Microsoft are killing it off now anyway. It would not have been so bad if there where apps for it, there where no games for it. It also took months for apps in the charts to reach windows phones, and by the time they where there, no one else played them xD. I liked the home screen design but hated everything else. All I use that phone for now is a sat-nav as here maps is actually pretty good. 

15 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Prior to Win 10 mobile, yeah. Win 10 mobile wasn't horrible. I experienced the a few more snags, but it performed great otherwise. Just needs more apps.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Prior to Win 10 mobile, yeah. Win 10 mobile wasn't horrible. I experienced the a few more snags, but it performed great otherwise. Just needs more apps.

I have never tried windows 10 mobile, microsoft refused to make a final version that worked on a Nokia 630. Still couldn't recommend on though. 

Just now, fixitnow said:

I have never tried windows 10 mobile, microsoft refused to make a final version that worked on a Nokia 630. Still couldn't recommend on though. 

I had a 950 XL and an S6 at the same time, had a Note 4 prior. Only thing that prevented me from recommending it to my more enthusiast friends was lack of apps, and my non-enthusiast friends - the occasional freeze that lasted like a second at most.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, fixitnow said:

Microsoft are killing it off now anyway. It would not have been so bad if there where apps for it, there where no games for it. It also took months for apps in the charts to reach windows phones, and by the time they where there, no one else played them xD. I liked the home screen design but hated everything else. All I use that phone for now is a sat-nav as here maps is actually pretty good. 

Games weren't all that meaningful to my parents and me... I have a gaming PC and they spend most of their time making phone calls on their phones and don't touch them when they're at home lol

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Custom launchers, full and configurable KB+M support, and MHL enable me to run and MHL capable phone as a lightweight PC.

Applications that can modify the actual characteristics of the ROM I'm using, such as powertoggles. Or I can change some of it through settings, such as animation scaling (ooh pretty vs. squeezing every bit of perfomance I can out of a phone).

And I can straight modify, create, or run any ROM I want to meet my needs if (by small chance) there isn't an option out there already.

All of this is not a benefit to the consumer. These things can be helpful to certain people, but those people are in the vast minority. 

iOS is a consumer OS that "just works" out of the box with no BS. If you want a mobile desktop in your pocket sure go head do what you want, but I just want a phone that is reliable and doesn't require me to flip its software inside out to get it to be usable. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

iOS is a consumer OS that "just works" out of the box with no BS.

Imma let you on a little secret. So is every version of Android that comes on any consumer device. Been like that since at least Jelly Bean.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, XenosTech said:

Games weren't all that meaningful to my parents and me... I have a gaming PC and they spend most of their time making phone calls on their phones and don't touch them when they're at home lol

Fair enough. Different use cases

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Imma let you on a little secret. So is every version of Android that comes on any consumer device. Been like that since at least Jelly Bean.

sure, if you can get past the bloat and custom skins that manufactures pollute the OS with. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

sure, if you can get past the bloat and custom skins that manufactures pollute the OS with. 

Again, hasn't been an actual issue since at least Jelly Bean. What bloat is there doesn't magically make the devices unusable, or hinder the UX in any way. But people will bitch about it anyways.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

But people will bitch about it anyways.

Because its a valid complaint. 

People don't want junk apps on their phones at all, carriers load up android phones with apps from them and other companies. Its not as bad as what Windows 10 does though.