Is Apple easier than Android?

So frequently I hear the point that Apple devices ( in this case I'm mainly referring to iOS devices, but I guess the same could be said for the OSx devices) are easier to use than android devices when discussing which someone should choose. Personally I have never understood this, and I wanted to discuss specifics about this. As a disclaimer I use mostly android and have been using a galaxy s7 for a while and been happy with it, but I do use some Apple products such as an ipad. Not even discussing performance and hardware, is the software just easier to use on the Apple side of things? If it is, how so? Personally I find them strikingly similar in many respects especially when it's just for an average user. I find all the basic functions ( texting, calling, pictures, basic setting manipulation) to be relatively straight forward on both platforms. I would love to hear some people's thoughts on this! 

Oh, also I'm not trying to fanboy or anything so please if you don't mind let's try looking at this from a mostly unbiased perspective if possible , thanks :)

IOS is typically much easier (as in user friendly) than Android. Although android has many advantages also.

For example, the app layout and removal, on ios it's a simple move around or remove, where as on android (depending on the ROM ofc) there is a home screen, widgets, a all apps page and sometimes more. But you're right, for basic "phone" use, they are virtually identical.

Samuel Edwards

- IT Engineer and Media Producer -

Religious theology diploma and over half a dozen certificates in Advanced Computing and IT.

Current Project:   Mineral Oil Cooled PC

Just trying to be friendly and help where I can. Have yourself a great day!

Use @SamuelJE for friendly tech help :)

Main PC - "The Genesis"

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3

CPU     -   intel i5-6600K 4Ghz on water

GPU     -   MSI GTX970 "Red Dragon"

Case    -   Zalman Z11 Plus (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

SSD     -   Crucial 250GB SATA SSD

HDD    -    4TB WD Green x 2

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Secondary PC - "Jonah"   (Mineral oil PC)

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-B250-DH1

CPU     -   intel i5-7500 Under Oil

GPU     -   Nvidia GTX 660 (Favorite and first ever GPU)

Case    -   A Fish Tank W/ Custom Engineered Mounting System (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

HDD    -    2TB WD Green

You must remember that Android has many flavours and modifications you can put on. IMO Android is more of a mobile computer, while iOS is more simplistic as to its capabilities. I prefer iOS just because I'm used to it and I do all my important stuff on the PC, so I don't need a very capable phone

That's an F in the profile pic

for me i find the apple just easier in the Phone stolen/Lost/upgrade way. I was on android and went to blackberry Z30, Loved it was a really good phone, but got hijacked and it went with my car so tried going back to the android while i was waiting for insurance, went back to the android and just didn't feel right for me, and I was using a iPad at the time and it had so much of my data in my iCloud, where as i never got round to setting up my android backup so went with a 5.. than upgrades to a 5s, and now a 6s and everytime it was butter smooth upgrading, upgraded my ipad and it all just linked and talked beautifully. Yes Android offers this but I just couldn't care to go through it all again, I'll be sticking with apple as its just easier, its a phone I call, text and email I don't need the latest and greatest and really don't care about the rivalry between them. For me i do find the iphone easier and more enjoyable.  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

It all of course comes down to preference. I personally use IOS and Android daily, but I hate Touchwiz and Samsung with all my being.

Samuel Edwards

Religious theology diploma and over half a dozen certificates in Advanced Computing and IT.

Main PC - "The Genesis"

Case    -   A Fish Tank W/ Custom Engineered Mounting System (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

HDD    -    2TB WD Green

Generally yes. Most of the OS is pretty straight forward however things have gotten a little more complicated in recent years. 

But yeah iOS is easier to pick up. Same goes for MacOS. 

My grandfather was able to pick up my iPhone and get into my pics, apps, and change settings pretty quickly. When he got his android phone it took him a little longer to figure out how to do the same things. 

You can configure Android to be dumb basic, but iOS is a middle ground right out of the box. 

TL;DR:

Yes

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Apple stuff is great for old people :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

for me i find the apple just easier in the Phone stolen/Lost/upgrade way. I was on android and went to blackberry Z30, Loved it was a really good phone, but got hijacked and it went with my car so tried going back to the android while i was waiting for insurance, went back to the android and just didn't feel right for me, and I was using a iPad at the time and it had so much of my data in my iCloud, where as i never got round to setting up my android backup so went with a 5.. than upgrades to a 5s, and now a 6s and everytime it was butter smooth upgrading, upgraded my ipad and it all just linked and talked beautifully. Yes Android offers this but I just couldn't care to go through it all again, I'll be sticking with apple as its just easier, its a phone I call, text and email I don't need the latest and greatest and really don't care about the rivalry between them. For me i do find the iphone easier and more enjoyable.  

I do agree the transition between successive iOS devices is handled well, and is easy for end users through iCloud

2 minutes ago, SamuelJE said:

It all of course comes down to preference. I personally use IOS and Android daily, but I hate Touchwiz and Samsung with all my being.

If you don't mind me asking.... why do you hate Samsung, just curious? :P

Just now, Enderman said:

Apple stuff is great for old people :)

But I am only 20 years old....

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

But I am only 20 years old....

Doesn't mean it can't be good for old people too :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My mother is using an iPhone SE whereas my father is using a Galaxy S7 Edge. I gotta say Android is less complicated right now than it was back in 2010 but iOS is still the easiest pick up and play mobile operating system. With Android, older people have to get accustomed to new proprietary interfaces whenever they switch from one Android phone to another. If my mom decides to upgrade her iPhone SE to an iPhone 7, all she has to deal with is a larger display. But if my dad decided to upgrade his GS7 Edge to a HTC U11, he might be a little culture shocked with the differences between TouchWiz and HTC Sense UI that sits on top of Android.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

You must remember that Android has many flavours and modifications you can put on. IMO Android is more of a mobile computer, while iOS is more simplistic as to its capabilities. I prefer iOS just because I'm used to it and I do all my important stuff on the PC, so I don't need a very capable phone

That's a good point. Reminds me of people describing a car as something to get from A to B , while others take great pride in what they drive.

Just now, 8bitbeliever said:

If you don't mind me asking.... why do you hate Samsung, just curious? :P

Of course :) , starting mainly with the copying of the iphone in 2007, I love how it pushed the technology forward and we have a lot to thank Samsung for, but I think that was the beginning of a whole bunch of dick moves as a company (in the smartphone department of course), then followed by the law suits with apple and their awful software, pushing the note out ahead of time is a straight up danger to the public and their software is just awful, touch wiz of course has improved, but then they had to go ahead and release bixby, with a dedicated button, yet no English support... To mention just a few. Poor decision making if you ask me. Hate is probably a strong word, but after owning my last galaxy phone, I never will again.

Hopefully that explains things :)

Samuel Edwards

Main PC - "The Genesis"

HDD    -    2TB WD Green

Really depends what you mean by "easier". It's much harder to mess things up on iOS devices as Apple doesn't let you change much and the experience between different iOS devices will be pretty much identical. You could pick up your friend's iPhone/iPad and expect a very familiar experience to your own iPhone/iPad. It's also very intuitive to use. If you've used a smartphone before, you can work an iOS device. 

The same can't be said of Android devices, as even without modifying things, most manufacturers have their own take on the Android OS which can result in a very different experience across devices. When you then take into consideration the amount of customisation available for Android with things like custom launchers, it can be near impossible to work someone else's Android device without them telling you the shortcuts and such. I used to have my phone with nothing but a clock on the home screen and everything else was managed by gestures. Without asking me, it would take a while to work out how to use my phone. 

The complicated side to Android can also make it easier once you've set things up how you like it. For example, on my phone I have the finger print scanner on the back which is also a button set to turn on the flashlight with a double click, act as a home button with a single click, open my notes with a click and hold, swipe down to open notifications and double tap (not click it) to clear all notifications. I also have custom widgets to display news feeds, email, weather, Google Drive and music, all spaced how I want them, not in a pre-defined grid like you may have with iOS. 

Just now, SamuelJE said:

Of course :) , starting mainly with the copying of the iphone in 2007, I love how it pushed the technology forward and we have a lot to thank Samsung for, but I think that was the beginning of a whole bunch of dick moves as a company (in the smartphone department of course), then followed by the law suits with apple and their awful software, pushing the note out ahead of time is a straight up danger to the public and their software is just awful, touch wiz of course has improved, but then they had to go ahead and release bixby, with a dedicated button, yet no English support... To mention just a few. Poor decision making if you ask me. Hate is probably a strong word, but after owning my last galaxy phone, I never will again.

Hopefully that explains things :)

Understandable points! Yeah the note was interesting to say the least :P.  I have enjoyed the galaxy personally but never really felt stuck to Samsung in the hardware side of things. That is one of my favorite things about android is being able to look around at the other producers and find something different. Anyway I appreciate you sharing :)

1 minute ago, 8bitbeliever said:

Understandable points! Yeah the note was interesting to say the least :P.  I have enjoyed the galaxy personally but never really felt stuck to Samsung in the hardware side of things. That is one of my favorite things about android is being able to look around at the other producers and find something different. Anyway I appreciate you sharing :)

Thanks man. That's interesting, I like Samsung hardware, just not the software. Good thing we have the choice aye, lucky to have such a variety to form a preference for. Thanks for being civil bro, rare on forums :)

Samuel Edwards

Main PC - "The Genesis"

HDD    -    2TB WD Green

If you don't go into the settings menu, yes. And that's comparing stock Android 7.1 (on my Asus Eee Pad TF201 and TF700) to whatever version of iOS my brother's 128GB iPad mini has. If you do go into the settings menu however Android is far better (and allows you to do more)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, SamuelJE said:

Thanks man. That's interesting, I like Samsung hardware, just not the software. Good thing we have the choice aye, lucky to have such a variety to form a preference for. Thanks for being civil bro, rare on forums :)

Well discussions like these are important to have. Honestly I have a lot to learn about mobile devices in general (starting school for computer engineering at a university soon) and I try to be as unbiased as I can. To clarify, I like the hardware Samsung produces for the most part, just never felt like attached to the "brand" per say. I feel as though when someone just sticks to a brand  (whether it be iOS or Android really) they miss out on a lot that is going on in the industry.  Even if they don't buy the other companies products its worth paying attention to. Anyway thank you as well, lol I hesitated posting this topic as I didn't want to start a flame war :P but I have been very happy with the comments everyone has put thus far.

Nope. Android is only as complex as you desire and make it. iOS is forever stuck in stupid mode.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

iOS is very simple to use and teach. I hate iOS because of the lack of the ability to customize it. I use android to run simple linux emulations on my phone, change themes to my desire, etc.  

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Anyone claiming iOS is easier by default clearly never delt with an elderly person using an iPhone before.

iOS is intuitive and can be learned quickly. Android on the other hand can be catered to fit your workflow and lifestyle. With iOS, Apple pretty much pre-sets how you use your device.

12 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Anyone claiming iOS is easier by default clearly never delt with an elderly person using an iPhone before.

No offence... but have you've seen an elderly person quickly master any piece of modern technology quickly? The problem I have with the elderly using an Android device is that it's fairly easy to mess things up completely since there are so many settings and options within apps and the OS itself. Elderly people don't spend the time they should reading and trying to comprehend what's on screen. They just randomly press things until something happens. The number of times my grandparents inadvertently uninstalled an app on their Galaxy tab and phone is staggering.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580