$300 CPU must be intel and needs 6 and 8 core upgrade path

I have a budget of $300 dollars for a processor. At the moment i cant get my hands on a 5820k or a 6800k for that price and i need a processor now. The two CPU's i have been looking at are the i7 7700k and the Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 Haswell. I need it to overclock well as im doing a custom liquid loop and i need it to be intel so i can hackintosh. 6 cores is preferable but i need the best upgrade path as im going to upgrade in the next few years. I am leaning towards the xeon as it has 6 cores and means that i have the 5960x and the 6950x which will be more power than i need over the next 5 years that i intend to stay on the same socket type. Socket 2066 motherboards are too expensive and too hard to get my hands on. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated. Lastly i have always been looking to get into the extreme edition platform.

Hackintosh (from what I'm aware) is actually something that isn't discussed here.

Get the Xeon and upgrade to Intel extreme cpus later.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, BluJay614 said:

Hackintosh (from what I'm aware) is actually something that isn't discussed here.

This thread isn't about hackintosh, just the processor.  OP probably only brings it up so we don't scream ryzen at them.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

yeah but the only think is that im seeing under water the average overclock for that xeon is like 3GHz. Is the single and multi core scores of the xeon up to par with the 7700k and newer processors?

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

This thread isn't about hackintosh, just the processor.  OP probably only brings it up so we don't scream ryzen at them.

yeah sorry bout that but had to justify why i didnt want to go AMD

5 minutes ago, VivashTech said:

yeah but the only think is that im seeing under water the average overclock for that xeon is like 3GHz. Is the single and multi core scores of the xeon up to par with the 7700k and newer processors?

But 7700k uses a completely different socket.

Options are

Z270 + 7700k and no upgrade path

6800k/5820 + X99 and upgrade to 6900k later

7740K and X299 board and blow the rails off in a few years all the way to 16 cores

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

16 minutes ago, VivashTech said:

I have a budget of $300 dollars for a processor. At the moment i cant get my hands on a 5820k or a 6800k for that price and i need a processor now. The two CPU's i have been looking at are the i7 7700k and the Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 Haswell. I need it to overclock well as im doing a custom liquid loop and i need it to be intel so i can hackintosh. 6 cores is preferable but i need the best upgrade path as im going to upgrade in the next few years. I am leaning towards the xeon as it has 6 cores and means that i have the 5960x and the 6950x which will be more power than i need over the next 5 years that i intend to stay on the same socket type. Socket 2066 motherboards are too expensive and too hard to get my hands on. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated. Lastly i have always been looking to get into the extreme edition platform.

you're practically asking for something that doesn't exist. the only way you can get this is by buying used and we can know the prices you'll find that way. intel made a socket that has a sub 300$ CPU and an upgrade path to a 6+ core for the first time with x299 and that's not an option for you. 7700k doesn't have an upgrade path. so the only option left for you is x99 and i don't know what cheap CPUs are on that socket if any at all... i think i remember they all start at 600

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

5 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

you're practically asking for something that doesn't exist. the only way you can get this is by buying used and we can know the prices you'll find that way. intel made a socket that has a sub 300$ CPU and an upgrade path to a 6+ core for the first time with x299 and that's not an option for you. 7700k doesn't have an upgrade path. so the only option left for you is x99 and i don't know what cheap CPUs are on that socket if any at all... i think i remember they all start at 600

you can get 200 dollar chips for 2011v3 like the e5 2603 v3

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can get 200 dollar chips for 2011v3 like the e5 2603 v3

holy shit it's so restrained O_O 6 core no HT at 1.6GHz Why? i mean you still get the 40 lanes so maybe it's for low processor high I/O tasks... i guess. it's not a recommendable buy for 99% of normal consumers.

but it's because of chips like this that i said almost...

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

holy shit it's so restrained O_O 6 core no HT at 1.6GHz Why? i mean you still get the 40 lanes so maybe it's for low processor high I/O tasks... i guess. it's not a recommendable buy for 99% of normal consumers.

also high memory tasks. With a dual socket system you can have 1.5tb of ram and 80 pcie lanes. Great for tasks that need io and ram, but not much cpu.

6 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

but it's because of chips like this that i said almost...

it runs at 2.6GHz actually and turbos to 3.2 i can overclock it under water to like 3.7 stable

Should i trust this listing for a 10 core engineering sample xeon 2630 v4 with 20 threads?

32 minutes ago, VivashTech said:

it runs at 2.6GHz actually and turbos to 3.2 i can overclock it under water to like 3.7 stable

that's what i could see on intel ark it's true it doesn't really tell the whole story.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Just get a cheap used xeon on ebay.I got my 5820k off ebay for $285.As for buying an es xeon it can also depend on which mobo you will buy since there is no guarantee that it will support an es processor.

24 minutes ago, VivashTech said:

Should i trust this listing for a 10 core engineering sample xeon 2630 v4 with 20 threads?

The Engineering samples, you run a risk. They probably work, but may have a few quirks or bugs with them. They usually aren't running retail stepping and some of them may have been abused to hell for validation testing (They're literally sometimes the CPUs intel abuses to find what is a good clock speed to set to). Also some motherboards will blacklist / refuse to boot ES CPUs.

For example, mine does not turbo anywhere near where it's supposed to. Max I've seen mine do is 2.6 GHz. I have a Xeon E5-2695V3 (14 core, 28 thread, 2.2 Ghz)

12 minutes ago, VivashTech said:

This guy bought a Xeon 2630 V4 ES and he said this: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/es-xeon-discussion.5031/page-14

Hmm, you can go for it if you want, but if you want clock speed, I'd stay away from a Xeon. You can't really get too far on BLCK overclocking (That's even if the board allows it).

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

X99 used options for processors since you say you will overclock would be xeon e51600 v3 cpus,5820k,or the 6800k.