College degree

Hi so I'm interested in technology and media, (kinda why we're all here ?) well anyway I'm having trouble deciding on my master degree at BCIT, I'm going into my undergrad in 2018 (CIT) (hopefully I haven't even applied yet, I just graduated high school and am kinda stuck so I'm going to be taking a gap year to work and save) but I'm stuck between three degrees, 1.) is Television and Video production, 2.) is Master of Digital Media and 3.) is Computer systems game development. The third is what I would want to do but since finding Linus Media Group and LTT I've fallen in love with what everyone does and how entertaining and informative their videos are. I know it's going to be difficult, not weather wise because I live just outside of Seattle, but it's going to be worth it. I know I'll probably not end up at LTT (aren't we all dreaming of that?) but I want to work in something similar if I can. But anyway I'm just a girl who likes technology and computers and video games trying to figure out her life. Thanks for stopping by!

1 hour ago, Hana said:

Hi so I'm interested in technology and media,

---- I hope I did understand your post right, if not please excuse me. English is my second language. ---

I can only speak for Germany and I would recommend anyone to net get a degree that includes anything with the word "media" because it is a waste of time in my opinion.

The problem is that you don't need a college degree to produce videos or something similar. I would even argue that most jobs that include media don't need a college degree.

Little Story: I am in my first semester of my Bachelor's degree in computer science. I didn't have enough subjects as I started in summer so I picked Multimedia systems which is a shared subject with master students from media sciences. They are in their second master semester and complained that the course included a little bit of math because they didn't need math at all so far.  I am not super good at math yet but it really wasn't hard....

If you have questions just ask because I studied quite a bit economics and it is a waste of time in my times for most students that are not very good. 

2 hours ago, Hana said:

I'll probably not end up at LTT (aren't we all dreaming of that?)

No, I don't want to work for them. I am not even subscribed to their youtube channel anymore.

20 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

---- I hope I did understand your post right, if not please excuse me. English is my second language. ---

I can only speak for Germany and I would recommend anyone to net get a degree that includes anything with the word "media" because it is a waste of time in my opinion.

The problem is that you don't need a college degree to produce videos or something similar. I would even argue that most jobs that include media don't need a college degree.

Little Story: I am in my first semester of my Bachelor's degree in computer science. I didn't have enough subjects as I started in summer so I picked Multimedia systems which is a shared subject with master students from media sciences. They are in their second master semester and complained that the course included a little bit of math because they didn't need math at all so far.  I am not super good at math yet but it really wasn't hard....

If you have questions just ask because I studied quite a bit economics and it is a waste of time in my times for most students that are not very good. 

No, I don't want to work for them. I am not even subscribed to their youtube channel anymore.

So go with game design?

10 minutes ago, Hana said:

So go with game design?

If that's what you love, then you have some work to do.

You should seriously do some research on what kind of jobs and the workload that, that particular degree and profession entail. I went into my current university looking to master in computer science and game development, but after two years changed majors to a master of computer science and engineering because it opens the same path, and more options should I not want to stay in that line of game development. 

The biggest reason I changed majors was because I was afraid that turning a hobby I love into a job that I'm required to grind hopeless amounts of hours and work into would destroy the passion I have for it. Game development as a profession is far from romantic these days.

edit- well, college has also been a mess for me, swapping minor focuses a lot, trying to figure out what I want to do and where I want to go. Marine bio has always fascinated me, but same story.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I agree with the advice already given. Pursuing media will likely lead you down the burger flipping career path and a games route is far too specific. Competition in the games industry is rather rife. Better to go with Software Engineering and/or Science as it's basically the umbrella discipline thus opens up far more opportunities.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I wouldn't bother with a media background, especially the Television one. I mean, really, how long do you think TV will be around for? You don't want to get settled into a job only to realize that it'll be gone in a decade. Also, consider that Linus didn't even finish his post secondary education, showing that if you're looking for a more "indie" style atmosphere it's unneeded.

If you live in BC and plan on staying (had to tell, you said north of Seattle but also stated BCIT which is in Canada), check out the WorkBC website. You can find NOC codes for the jobs you want, as well as their 10 year (I think, been a while since I looked at them) outlook for job creation/decline. I cannot stress enough that you really need to research the potential future of the area of study you take. I have more friends than I can count on both hands that went through 4, 6 even more years of schooling only to realize the field they want to go into either doesn't have any open positions, or is shrinking due to technological  improvements.

Please, please don't bank on getting a YouTube job...

On a brighter note, welcome to the forum! :)

21 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

-snip-

I wouldn't say economics is a waste of time, it's probably one of the better courses to take. Even if it's just to help further your understanding of how a business works.

What was you reason for unsubbing? I almost did but a few of their latest videos have started to up the content quality.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

WTF is a degree in game design? I myself are going into my second year for my Bachelors in Computer Engineering and I will tell you right now that if you are doing game design you are getting a degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or (Only some colleges have this as an undergrad degree) Software Engineer. All three of those can do the same amount of coding and all three would be good at game design. I also don't really recommend a Masters in this unless you are wanting to do next level algorithms or very complicated circuits but that really matters on what your job opportunity wants. Really, if you are just doing code no one really cares that much between Masters and Bachelors. You can get shitty coders with PHDs and great coders that never went to college.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

23 hours ago, Hana said:

Hi so I'm interested in technology and media, (kinda why we're all here ?) well anyway I'm having trouble deciding on my master degree at BCIT, I'm going into my undergrad in 2018 (CIT) (hopefully I haven't even applied yet, I just graduated high school and am kinda stuck so I'm going to be taking a gap year to work and save) but I'm stuck between three degrees, 1.) is Television and Video production, 2.) is Master of Digital Media and 3.) is Computer systems game development. The third is what I would want to do but since finding Linus Media Group and LTT I've fallen in love with what everyone does and how entertaining and informative their videos are. I know it's going to be difficult, not weather wise because I live just outside of Seattle, but it's going to be worth it. I know I'll probably not end up at LTT (aren't we all dreaming of that?) but I want to work in something similar if I can. But anyway I'm just a girl who likes technology and computers and video games trying to figure out her life. Thanks for stopping by!

I was in a similar position to you in that I just graduated school and had to make up my mind. I decided not to take a gap year so will be starting university in October. If I am very honest with you I wouldn't listen too much to the people who say a background in media won't be helpful or that anyone can do it, and I don't mean any disrespect to the other repliers but in my opinion you have, you must, do exactly what you are passionate about. You cannot let other people dictate what you enjoy doing because at the end of the day if you take up a degree of something you absolutely enjoy you will do extremely well in assignments and projects and it will just make you stand out because you have passion, and once you do that you don't need to worry too much about job prospects because your track record will be able to speak for itself.

I think you need to use this gap year you're going to take to either research about future jobs or maybe do some work experience or shadowing with people who have taken each of the three subjects you are deciding about.

Just to be clear I'm not saying that media is the best idea in the world, but more importantly I'm not saying it isn't, especially for you specifically. I do understand that some people will rightly say that future prospects in media will be more difficult to achieve than in other areas but maybe there are areas within media that you haven't considered like not just video production but other areas of creative arts if you are an artsy person like graphic design or web design or if you are a person who cares more about user experience then maybe interactions design. You could also get involved with the technical side of media like production equipment, lighting, sound, post processing, these are all huge areas that make up "media" but don't require you to do a degree in "media" if you know what I mean.

Lastly I just want to highlight that you mention that game design is what you "would want to do" until LTT came along. It is important to figure out whether your love for all things related to media is just something that you feel now whereas game design is something you truly love or whether you really discovered what makes you happy.

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I wouldn't bother with a media background, especially the Television one. I mean, really, how long do you think TV will be around for?

How exactly are we defining 'Television' here however?  Traditional television broadcast television systems, such as OTA, 'Cable TV' or 'Satellite' TV and such?  Okay, sure.  But that's really a back end technical area of content distribution which is in slow decline.  Broadcast news, particularly 'Local TV News' type stations are in a more rapid decline.  Both of these are suffering due disruption by the internet.

That all said, we produce and consume more content as a society than we ever have.  Episodic television and film are sitting in literal golden ages in terms of the ammount of content we produce.  Weather your content is transmitted over a UHF antenna or over Netflix, that's irrelevant so long as the content is actually being consumed and my god, we are consuming.  We also consume more sports coverage than we have ever with hours, and hours, and hours, and hours of sports being broadcast and from every trivial angle no less.  I have literally watched people die, live on camera, during practice at the Olympics, because the practice was considered worth filming and broadcasting.  We broadcast PROFESSIONAL POKER for god's sake. (And yet somehow some people have difficulty accepting that professional gaming gets big streaming audiences? o.O)

There is absolutely no end in sight for an end to the production and consumption in media, only shifts in how we receive that media.

And, I went to college for three years to study film and visual effects compositing and I'd argue that it's worth it but you should also know what you want to do more specifically than 'Media'.  Keep in mind, the internet is still valuable, there are about a hundred bazillion things that you can do Nuke, which no ONE person can know all of, so even at my work we're Googling up someone else creative solution to a problem, but there's a lot of skills that are hard or very slow to learn on your own.  At school we had access to Red Cameras, literal truckloads of lighting equipment, top end microphones, industry standard audio capture hardware and a lot of stuff that you could never afford to touch on your own if you just 'Look it up on YouTube'.  In classes we produced short films with $5000-$10000 budgets with 40-50 person crews working on them.  Because that's what you need to make a movie, you need bodies and equipment.  You can learn how to use software and go through a Chroma Keying tutorial on YouTube but you're using canned footage that's provided.  Where does the footage come from when you want to produce it?  You not only need the gear necessary to evenly and correctly light a green screen but you need to know how to even approach it. While I certainly had skilled professors who had lots of valuable things to teach at least half of the value actually came from getting hours and hours and hours per week of hands on experience with equipment which I never could have afforded to buy on my own and tinker with.

But I also knew what I wanted.  I wanted to work in visual effects, particularly compositing and I specifically went after that goal which was a lot more specific than 'Media'.  And I'm literally sitting in an office as I type this right now, where I'm working on an episodic series that broadcasts on AMC (No, it's NOT The Walking Dead. :( )and I wouldn't be in this office if I hadn't spent 3 years learning how to do this.

1 hour ago, Cy-Fy said:

...but in my opinion you have, you must, do exactly what you are passionate about. You cannot let other people dictate what you enjoy doing because at the end of the day ....

I agree that passion is important you also have to keep in mind. I want to note that I just give advice and nothing more. 

2 hours ago, Atmos said:

You should seriously do some research on what kind of jobs and the workload that, that particular degree and profession entail.

Very good advice. He should definitely follow his passion but also have to do his research about job opportunities, salary, workload.... after his degree.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I wouldn't say economics is a waste of time, it's probably one of the better courses to take. Even if it's just to help further your understanding of how a business works

I agree but you can learn about founding a business by reading some books and so on. You don't need to study economics for that. You also have to keep in mind that you have a huge competition because a lot of people study it. 

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

What was you reason for unsubbing? I almost did but a few of their latest videos have started to up the content quality.

I didn't like the content over the past year + I play way less PC now + I basically only watched the WAN show + I did unsubscribe from quite a few channels as I dont want to be distracted by all the new videos....

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

-snip-
I agree but you can learn about founding a business by reading some books and so on. You don't need to study economics for that. You also have to keep in mind that you have a huge competition because a lot of people study it. 

I didn't like the content over the past year + I play way less PC now + I basically only watched the WAN show + I did unsubscribe from quite a few channels as I dont want to be distracted by all the new videos....

You can learn literally anything by reading some books. That's generally how learning takes place.

Lots of people take it because it's useful, and is the base of a lot of different degrees.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

in my experience, if you take a year off, you likely wont go back to school.

something will always get in the way

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

19 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

...hardware and a lot of stuff that you could never afford to touch on your own...

Don't forget the support infrastructure around that, as the content in it's raw uncompressed form is usually hundreds of GBs i.e. fiber based networking and large (fast) storage capabilities.

And I'm literally sitting in an office as I type this right now...

...and I wouldn't be in this office if I hadn't spent 3 years learning how to do this.

Otherwise known as procrastinating :D

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

On 7/4/2017 at 8:11 PM, Hana said:

-snip-

I just want to say, with media and game design, you need to have a pretty good idea of what youll want to be doing with it. the games job market is sooooooooo tight right not. and if you are unsure if you want to employers will sense it. as before mentioned with media games works quite similar, most of the time employers will rather see a portfolio of actual work and maybe some contracts. as opposed to a grade on a piece of paper that says you know how game engines work. 

Personally, the television production one looks cool. and out of the three it makes the most sense IMO.

I just finished doing a 2 year course in game design and its just a pile of crap. NONE of the information you need comes from education, in face ill go as far as saying youre better off on your own. Unless you already have experience or better a mastery in art/code/management youre going to struggle.

Good luck on your choices though :)

As for the last bit Id love to work for LTT too but its just one of those things. I just got an apprenticeship/paid internship in computter configuration :) 

Get a job before degree. Most people do not end up in the same area they studied

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

20 hours ago, Tsuki said:

in my experience, if you take a year off, you likely wont go back to school.

something will always get in the way

Yep, I know many in my Guard unit that has occurred with.  (Deployments don't help either)

Person takes a break and never gets back into the mood set of working on the degree.

But yeah, degree major flipping is going to occur.  I am even flipping around my major (more of have background in one and the other as primary).   Also, in the States, especially IT, get on hands job experience (plus, contacts within the field of interest).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Yep, I know many in my Guard unit that has occurred with.  (Deployments don't help either)

Person takes a break and never gets back into the mood set of working on the degree.

But yeah, degree major flipping is going to occur.  I am even flipping around my major (more of have background in one and the other as primary).   Also, in the States, especially IT, get on hands job experience (plus, contacts within the field of interest).

for me personally, i took a year off, then one year turned into 4 years because i didnt want to manage full time work and full time school. after i joined the Guard i decided to actually try (since the army was gonna pay for it). didnt go so well, decided i hated it lol had taken so much time off,  i couldnt get back into the rhythm of school work and ended up flunking out in the first quarter. it worked out though, my hands on experience between work and what i learned in the army (25U) has done me pretty well so far.

everybody has a different story, i just know how hard it is to get back into school once you've stopped.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

21 hours ago, Tsuki said:

for me personally, i took a year off, then one year turned into 4 years because i didnt want to manage full time work and full time school. after i joined the Guard i decided to actually try (since the army was gonna pay for it). didnt go so well, decided i hated it lol had taken so much time off,  i couldnt get back into the rhythm of school work and ended up flunking out in the first quarter. it worked out though, my hands on experience between work and what i learned in the army (25U) has done me pretty well so far.

everybody has a different story, i just know how hard it is to get back into school once you've stopped.

Yeah, it is tricky with Guard, job, and trying to do school.

Myself, I am stuck between a big decision.  Take the job offer or continue with my schooling and fitting my Guard weekends and annual training weeks in (don't want to give up my Guard spot: good hands on with IT equipment and training).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU