2 Gamers 1 GPU, is it even possible?

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
2 minutes ago, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

I will use my main system for renders and game recording, so there's no way I can buy 2 cheap ones just to play games. But I just wanted to ask if I can run CS:GO like games veeery well, can't I divide it to play with my brother, in the cheapest way. What a simple question right? I wait for a simple awnser tho but... :/ 

your "simple answer" is just above you.

or if you need it even more simple: no.

Hi guys, I wanna build a new PC soon but me and my brother wanna play CO-OP some not AAA title games, like CS:GO, so we don't need like 1080Ti. My question is if so GTX 1060 is can hold up these games really well like 200 fps, can I use it to build 2 gamers 1 Tower? Like 200 divided by 2 is 100 :D and considering the drop caused by this non efficient setup, say it 60 fps. Would it be possible? Like how efficient will be the system? I'll use a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU so I don't think we will have a bottleneck here. A quick help will be appreciated :) And sorry for my so so english.

Probably is that there is no way to split the gpu up so you can do this. You can make it so that you have multiple users with multipoint, but then you can't play most games. 

Your best option is just buying a cheap desktop or habving your friend bring their desktop over.

mby get two cheap cards like dual RX560 or something and do the unraid stuff like linux did in his video

but you'll still need a second set of periferals

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably is that there is no way to split the gpu up so you can do this. You can make it so that you have multiple users with multipoint, but then you can't play most games. 

Your best option is just buying a cheap desktop or habving your friend bring their desktop over.

Will buying like GT 1030 (which can handle games fairly well) let him play games on his monitor seperated from my GPU?

Just now, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

Will buying like GT 1030 (which can handle games fairly well) let him play games on his monitor seperated from my GPU?

get a used 750ti or rx270/370, 1030 is not worth getting 

yea, but you need to install linux on the system and do a lot of software configuration. Really its not worth it.

also nvidia gtx cards don't really like passthrough, so get amd if you can or deal with some more configuration.

The 1030 isn't a gaming card and no one should buy it. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I think you could make it work with a single card too. Form my experience, vmware player can run some less demanding titles in a vm. Although it only allows 2gb vram per vm and performance varies significantly between games.

We haven't buy the actual computer yet, so I'm open to any ideas but considering the budget. I want to get at least 60 fps at high graphics on CS:GO both monitors. Is there's a shortcut to that? Cause we wanna play CO-OP really bad :D But again I need something power like GTX 1060 for my own, I can prefer GTX 1050Ti and use budget for an used 750Ti like you guys mentioned up there. But would it be worth it and will it work?

Edited by LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ

16 minutes ago, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

We haven't buy the actual computer yet, so I'm open to any ideas but considering the budget. I want to get at least 60 fps at high graphics on CS:GO both monitors. Is there's a shortcut to that? Cause we wanna play CO-OP really bad :D But again I need something power like GTX 1060 for my own, I can prefer GTX 1050Ti and use budget for an used 750Ti like you guys mentioned up there. But would it be worth it and will it work?

your much better off just builidng 2 cheaper systems. Look at something like a old dell optiplex for about 100 bucks and put a gpu in it.

the issue is simple:

developing software for this costs money, the enterprise needed efficient cpu virtualisation and is willing to pay good money for it.

no one in their right mind will pay that kind of money for efficient GPU virtualization, as well as the current VM platforms' biggest customers being the server market, who dont really need gpu performance in VMs, if they need GPU performance, they just get dedicated GPU nodes.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

your much better off just builidng 2 cheaper systems. Look at something like a old dell optiplex for about 100 bucks and put a gpu in it.

I will use my main system for renders and game recording, so there's no way I can buy 2 cheap ones just to play games. But I just wanted to ask if I can run CS:GO like games veeery well, can't I divide it to play with my brother, in the cheapest way. What a simple question right? I wait for a simple awnser tho but... :/ 

2 minutes ago, LOLLIPOPSJSJSJ said:

your "simple answer" is just above you.

or if you need it even more simple: no.

• 1 year later...

I already have a 1080 ti, and I don't have the budget to build another computer, is there a way to 1 GPU 2 gamers?

The problem is that GPUs, despite having groups of execution unit that you can effectively call a "core", is still seen to the system as one cohesive unit. Whereas each core on a processor is seen to the system as a separate unit. However I'm not sure if this is how the drivers present the GPU or if the hardware presents itself as a single unit.

You could probably do 2 gamers, 1 GPU, but that requires work from the drivers to interleave submission of command lists to the GPU and also limiting the amount of VRAM each user has access to.

• 2 years later...

I disagree with the selected answer. From what I've seen, it's very possible to run multiple systems off a single GPU especially today. It's called GPU-partitioning in Windows. There is a special driver setup to get it working, but you don't necessarily need that either.

I setup Aster and had it working for multiple users on a single GPU with having to mess with custom drivers or GPU-partitioning. I wrote a thread on how you can set it up here:

While my setup uses 2 GPUs, the instructions are the same for a single GPU. Somehow, Windows is able to figure out how to share GPU resources. I was honestly surprised to see it working at all.