--- IGNORE ---

tintedvision

When I had this issue on cable it was because one of the coax cables was bad off of the splitter.  I had a tech come and he found the issue when testing the lines.

I also forgot to mention that we're using fiber optic cables.

@GW2 How do you put it into bridge mode, when I can't access the router settings / page?

2 minutes ago, tintedvision said:

I also forgot to mention that we're using fiber optic cables.

@GW2 How do you put it into bridge mode, when I can't access the router settings / page?

hows it setup? Here in the states Verizon for instance uses an ONT at the home to convert from Fiber to Copper. They will either convert to Coax or Ethernet. It all depends on if the sub has TV service. If its Coax then a router that instead of having a Ethernet port for the WAN connection it has a Coax connection and supports Moca. 

However, if the fiber setup uses Ethernet to the router, then you could use any router you wanted. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

hows it setup? Here in the states Verizon for instance uses an ONT at the home to convert from Fiber to Copper. They will either convert to Coax or Ethernet. It all depends on if the sub has TV service. If its Coax then a router that instead of having a Ethernet port for the WAN connection it has a Coax connection and supports Moca. 

However, if the fiber setup uses Ethernet to the router, then you could use any router you wanted. 

I'm pretty sure that it's directly wired with Fiber optic cables. I'm not too keen on the whole setup as I just moved here, however I will check it out.

We have TV services connected with the modem as well.

I'll try purchasing a router. Do you have any recommendations for a really good stable dual-link router with 5Ghz and wireless functionality? Will be used for work, streaming & gaming on several devices at once.

18 minutes ago, tintedvision said:

I'm pretty sure that it's directly wired with Fiber optic cables. I'm not too keen on the whole setup as I just moved here, however I will check it out.

We have TV services connected with the modem as well.

I'll try purchasing a router. Do you have any recommendations for a really good stable dual-link router with 5Ghz and wireless functionality? Will be used for work, streaming & gaming on several devices at once.

I just looked up your ISP supplied router. Technically Fiber Internet needs no modem. However, this is a very special router. Ive never seen this config in the states. Basically you have to use their router. So, you need to determine if the Lag spikes are due to poor wireless or if its indeed the router itself. If the lag spikes happen on a wired connection, then your router is shot. You will have to call your ISP for a replacement. 

I have never seen a router with a Fiber connection like the one you have. Here in the states Verizon would use a router with Coax connection to supply internet. 

Called them up and they offered to send a technician to my location to figure out the issue. I have to pay a fee of roughly $150 USD, if the issue is determined to be on our own. Hmm. Might just try to ask them to replace the modem

7 minutes ago, tintedvision said:

Called them up and they offered to send a technician to my location to figure out the issue. I have to pay a fee of roughly $150 USD, if the issue is determined to be on our own. Hmm. Might just try to ask them to replace the modem

$150?!?!!! That's absurd, even if it's somehow on your end.

Hopefully they figure out that it's the modem/router they gave you though since that's almost certainly the culprit at this point.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

$150?!?!!! That's absurd, even if it's somehow on your end.

Hopefully they figure out that it's the modem/router they gave you though since that's almost certainly the culprit at this point.

Yeah definitely. I'd more comfortable with paying a hourly rate, instead of a fixed rate.

Could you recommend me a new router to purchase? I kind of want to try that first. I need a dual-band router capable for streaming, gaming and running on multiple devices. Budget is $100

2 minutes ago, tintedvision said:

Yeah definitely. I'd more comfortable with paying a hourly rate, instead of a fixed rate.

Could you recommend me a new router to purchase? I kind of want to try that first. I need a dual-band router capable for streaming, gaming and running on multiple devices. Budget is $100

The TP-Link Archer C7 is a pretty solid router and should fall within the budget.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

The TP-Link Archer C7 is a pretty solid router and should fall within the budget.

His current box has the fiber connected directly to it. So how is he going to hook fiber up to the Archer C7?

Here is a PDF Manuel on what the OP has: http://www.kustbandet.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=fpVNFrjxjEY%3D&tabid=117&mid=487

Just now, Donut417 said:

His current box has the fiber connected directly to it. So how is he going to hook fiber up to the Archer C7?

Here is a PDF Manuel on what the OP has: http://www.kustbandet.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=fpVNFrjxjEY%3D&tabid=117&mid=487

Good point, I keep forgetting it's a combo unit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, tintedvision said:

Hmm, any other ideas for a good router?

It would be great if I could find it here: https://www.elgiganten.dk/search?SearchTerm=Router&search=&searchResultTab=Products

Your not going to find a router with a fiber connection built in. At least on a consumer grade one. Plus remember your TV is also supplied by the router. Basically your boned. You have to use the box they supply. Like I stated before, here in the US they dont hook the fiber directly to the router. Its hooked up to a converter in the house then converted to copper before it hits the router. You dont have that. You need to get them to replace the router you currently have. 

I have been thinking of the D-Link DIR-842, but I heard someone here say that it was not a good idea since D-Link isn't that reliable.

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Your not going to find a router with a fiber connection built in. At least on a consumer grade one. Plus remember your TV is also supplied by the router. Basically your boned. You have to use the box they supply. Like I stated before, here in the US they dont hook the fiber directly to the router. Its hooked up to a converter in the house then converted to copper before it hits the router. You dont have that. You need to get them to replace the router you currently have. 

I would hook up the router to the modem. I just talked to the support from Stofa (my ISP) and they told me that it wouldn't be a problem. Am I missing anything here? Sorry, I'm a total newbie haha.

Just now, tintedvision said:

I would hook up the router to the modem. I just talked to the support from Stofa (my ISP) and they told me that it wouldn't be a problem. Am I missing anything here? Sorry, I'm a total newbie haha.

Fiber doesnt use a modem.  Also, if your current router is failing hard core, hows connecting another router to it going to solve the problem? You indicated using a cable offers no differences. Your box is fucked. It needs to be replaced. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Fiber doesnt use a modem.  Also, if your current router is failing hard core, hows connecting another router to it going to solve the problem? You indicated using a cable offers no differences. Your box is fucked. It needs to be replaced. 

Yeah I see where you're coming from. I'm calling them now and asking for a replacement.

A technician is coming on Monday. I'll keep you guys updated.

So there is no way for me to attach a router to my setup?

3 hours ago, tintedvision said:

So there is no way for me to attach a router to my setup?

I wouldn't do a router as their box is a router. You could do a wireless AP if you want better wireless. 

If you have a fiber connection coming directly into the "modem" they gave you then its not a modem or even a router, its an ONT. People seem to think ONT only come in the big metal slabs that are screwed to the wall but a lot of brands have one that look exactly like modems/routers. 

So now you will be out $150 bucks because they will come out and find out its not your equipment because fiber ONTs are incredibly reliable and I cant tell you how many times I dispatch because the customers fails to listen to me and just request a dispatch and we go out and the ONT is fine.

Just unplug your router and plug a pc directly into the ONT they provided you IN THE SAME PORT and run some test because that is exactly what they will do. When you do this be advised you are not open to the world as your pc will grab a public lease and there is literally no firewall. 

If you run the test and its fine cancel the appointment and save your money. Also to note. If that is truely fiber coming in the back of the ONT DO NOT TOUCH IT. Dont bend it, dont breath on it, dont unplug it, dont even look at it. Last you need is a charge for another run.

On 7/7/2017 at 6:42 PM, mynameisjuan said:

If you have a fiber connection coming directly into the "modem" they gave you then its not a modem or even a router, its an ONT. People seem to think ONT only come in the big metal slabs that are screwed to the wall but a lot of brands have one that look exactly like modems/routers. 

So now you will be out $150 bucks because they will come out and find out its not your equipment because fiber ONTs are incredibly reliable and I cant tell you how many times I dispatch because the customers fails to listen to me and just request a dispatch and we go out and the ONT is fine.

Just unplug your router and plug a pc directly into the ONT they provided you IN THE SAME PORT and run some test because that is exactly what they will do. When you do this be advised you are not open to the world as your pc will grab a public lease and there is literally no firewall. 

If you run the test and its fine cancel the appointment and save your money. Also to note. If that is truely fiber coming in the back of the ONT DO NOT TOUCH IT. Dont bend it, dont breath on it, dont unplug it, dont even look at it. Last you need is a charge for another run.

Thanks for the insights.

We have problems with the signal to the TV as well as the ONT or whatever is acting up.

Would you be up for a chat in PM? Seems like you're very educated in this area. Just wanna make sure I should cancel the appointment.