What Antiviruses do you guys like?

I just want someone to tell me truly what is the best out there? Why is that so hard exactly? Yes there are MANY of them, but there has to be one!

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

7 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

I just want someone to tell me truly what is the best out there? Why is that so hard exactly? Yes there are MANY of them, but there has to be one!

Free or paid?

32 minutes ago, _RYZE_ said:

Free or paid?

I don't mind paid. I guess what's the best paid, and what's the best free. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

4 hours ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

I'm not sure about paid.. but I believe the best FREE antivirus is Avira.

9 hours ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

One of my friends on Twitter said "Avast is the best free one, Kaspersky is the best paid one, hands down... for scanning I use SuperAnti Spyware, MBAM, Spybot and ADW cleaner,  bit defender is trash, basically as secure as a flour sifter... keeps out big things, small things breeze right through." 

Is that true what he said? 

While Kaspersky is among the best, there's really no basis for saying that Bitdefender is "trash" when the numbers and reviews say otherwise. That sounds like a guy who has formed his opinions without actually trying any of the products that he's bashing. Antivirus programs also tends to sometimes let PUP and similar software in and neither KAspersky nor Bitdefender will block every little PUP that exists, simlply because it isn't their job. That's why we run Malwarebytes on the side; in order to pick up those little anoying things that often aren't entirely malicious, but rather just plain annoying.

A lot of people seem to have strong, irrational feelings towards some secuirty products.  Some of his claims doesn't realy have any basis in reality at all. Spybot has been largely abandoned by most serious users(that piece of software has just been going downhill the past years), but SAS and MBAM are still widely used, and preferred by a lot of people.

I personally prefer Windows Defender because it is the least intrusive of all major antivirus and security software. It's also the lightest and I don't need the ads from a paid antivirus to try their other products. 

On 05/07/2017 at 2:08 PM, Josh_Grid21 said:

To be honest, Avast is easily beaten by Avira, not being biased I switched from AVAST to Avira for a reason.

5 hours ago, Milo Thatch said:

I personally prefer Windows Defender because it is the least intrusive of all major antivirus and security software. It's also the lightest and I don't need the ads from a paid antivirus to try their other products. 

Get something else if you go on sketchy websites.

I mean hopefully windows defender and common sense will be enough I hope. :/ 

I don't really like that people here are talking about "common sense". "Common sense" is also the wrong way to put it I think, and in my opinion it sounds really cocky. It would be more correct to talk about general internet knowledge rather than common sense. It's also not something you can quantity in a binary manner. 

So people here saying "Windows defender and common sense" are actually saying "Run Windows defender and read up alot on internet security to compensate for the lacking protection". I don't think that advice is fair to give unless we're very sure about the user's level of experience and use cases.

Not a rant, but I'm seeing a lot of people putting it like that, and I don't think that's the right way to put it. It's not to hate on Windows Defender either despite both the performance and detection rates sucking a bit.

20 hours ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

I mean hopefully windows defender and common sense will be enough I hope. :/ 

Don't risk it get Avast or Avira + Malwarebytes FREE or Hitman Pro,

I recommend Avira though

3 hours ago, _RYZE_ said:

Don't risk it get Avast or Avira + Malwarebytes FREE or Hitman Pro,

I recommend Avira though

Who makes Avira, because I heard somewhere, or I thought, that software came out of China? Also is Kaspperski any good?

On 7/7/2017 at 11:54 PM, Vielo said:

Get something else if you go on sketchy websites.

What are you even talking about? 

On 10/07/2017 at 4:36 AM, Josh_Grid21 said:

Who makes Avira, because I heard somewhere, or I thought, that software came out of China? Also is Kaspperski any good?

Avira comes from Germany, Kaspersky is really great! But I THINK you would be better off going with AVAST FREE + Hitman Pro.

Hitman Pro is paid and only and second opinion scanner which is a scanner you use just in case your antivirus does not catch the Malware/viruses but it uses the same engine/signatures as Sophos,Bitdefender and Kaspersky so thats really good!

You should also use Malwarebytes alongside Hitman Pro and Avast, and if you can't pay for Hitman Pro after the 30 day trial ends,

get Zemana.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Milo Thatch said:

What are you even talking about? 

I think he means suspicious or untrusted websites.

Stop misusing software to circumvent your missing security precautions.

Write in C.

Once upon a time there was a computer connected to the internet. It ran WinXP, didn't have AV software at all and all of the family members weren't tech savvy. One day the youngest one(me, still in middle school) noticed that there was something wrong with the computer and decided to install an AV software. But there was a catch. When he tried to write any AV software in google search every browser would immediately shut down. then he asked older brother to find some AV. They borrowed Kaspersky from a friend, but the installation proccess shut down after couple of seconds. Then they tried Panda, but launcher wouldnt even open. ESET launched but detected no viruses at all. the list of brave AV goes on and on, and noone could defeat viruses. Until one day they brought Dr.Web CureIt to battle malicious software. That doctor scanned for hours, finding billions of infected files. But... after all the cleaning and deleting viruses Windows couldnt launch.

After that we installed Linux on a home PC.

Sorry for bad Ingrish

On 7/17/2017 at 10:25 PM, Dat Guy said:

Stop misusing software to circumvent your missing security precautions.

Who are you talking to?