Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrJarhead

thinking of a new psu, thoughts

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

@STRMfrmXMN i know you made the psu tier list and thought your advice would be the best, at the moment i have an evga g1 650 (nex) and looking at your tier list its tier 4, i have had it around 1 year, and it has been fine, however, the fact its tier 4 makes me want to change it.

 

now... the evga g3 is only £5 more than the g2, im guessing its worth the £5 extra?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're not overclocking or mining, you should be fine.


 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

If you're not overclocking or mining, you should be fine.

i dont do either but ive heard some pretty gruesome tales about the quality of the components.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A great resource to use is JonnyGuru's website. (besides the lists that float around on LTT forum)


MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 1080Ti & 1070Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

CORSAIR RIG: CPU:3970X - GPU:2x2080Ti- Ram:16GB - SSD's:3.2TB - HEADPHONES:Sennheiser HD600 - Monitor:35" G-Sync 120hz 3440x1440P - AMP/DAC:Xonar Essence One

PC & CONSOLE GAMER
2020 New PC called "CORSAIR RIPPER": Upgrading from Intel 3970X to AMD 3970X. LOL
AMD 3970X, 2x2080ti, 64GB RAM, 2TB M.2 NVMe only, Corsair/AMD Black Red RGB Themed
Link to post
Share on other sites

While the NEX650G is based on a mediocre FSP Aurum platform, it isn't such a poor power supply that you should feel that you'll need to immediately to spend up to £100 to replace it. It should be fine for your system with an 250~300wDC power draw.

 

Anyways, both of the G2 / G3 aren't bad power supplies; however, unless you need the shorter profile of the G3 (which doesn't seem like it if you got the NEX-G / G1), I would go for the G2 simply because it is quieter and slightly cheaper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
21 minutes ago, quan289 said:

While the NEX650G is based on a mediocre FSP Aurum platform, it isn't such a poor power supply that you should feel that you'll need to immediately to spend up to £100 to replace it. It should be fine for your system with an 250~300wDC power draw.

 

Anyways, both of the G2 / G3 aren't bad power supplies; however, unless you need the shorter profile of the G3 (which doesn't seem like it if you got the NEX-G / G1), I would go for the G2 simply because it is quieter and slightly cheaper.

the g3 does put me off a tad for the simple reason it only has 2 vga inputs, which i think is bad for a 650 watt psu, mine has 4.

 

mind you the g2 is the same, hmm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

the g3 does put me off a tad for the simple reason it only has 2 vga inputs, which i think is bad for a 650 watt psu, mine has 4.

 

mind you the g2 is the same, hmm.

The EVGA 650 G2 and G3 uses two sets of cables with two 6+2 pin PEG each - totaling four PEG cables for a dual GPU setup. This setup should be fine, as it uses thicker 16AWG wires on the PEG cables than the ones found in the NEX-G / G1 series.

 

The G2 / G3 will offer you better build quality, lower audible noise (well, maybe comparable noise the G3 - but it does offer a HDB fan that's less susceptible to bearing noises), and due to it superior, modern design, it will perform vastly better in line / load / crossload regulation, ripple suppression, and transient load response. I would much rather used one of those than the G1 units; however, it just a matter of spending £100 to replace something that already works and having to redo all of the cable managements (the cables will not be compatible).
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 minutes ago, quan289 said:

The EVGA 650 G2 and G3 uses two sets of cables with two 6+2 pin PEG each - totaling four PEG cables for a dual GPU setup. This setup should be fine, as it uses thicker 16AWG wires on the PEG cables than the ones found in the NEX-G / G1 series.

 

The G2 / G3 will offer you better build quality, lower audible noise (well, maybe comparable noise the G3 - but it does offer a HDB fan that's less susceptible to bearing noises), and due to it superior, modern design, it will perform vastly better in line / load / crossload regulation, ripple suppression, and transient load response. I would much rather used one of those than the G1 units; however, it just a matter of spending £100 to replace something that already works and having to redo all of the cable managements (the cables will not be compatible).
 

i dont mind redoing the cables, what upsets me is the fact that a lot of high end psu's come with thick cables, now i dont like them this way, surely they could include single sleeved cables for free rather than charging ridic amounts for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

i dont mind redoing the cables, what upsets me is the fact that a lot of high end psu's come with thick cables, now i dont like them this way, surely they could include single sleeved cables for free rather than charging ridic amounts for them.

So what modularity do you want? Semi or fully modular?


"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

 

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

 

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

So what modularity do you want? Semi or fully modular?

full of course. nothing more than £88 (price of  g3 kek)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

full of course. nothing more than £88 (price of  g3 kek)

I can not find SeaSonic made, but i found This


"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

 

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

 

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

I can not find SeaSonic made, but i found This

apparently evga has longer warranty, the g2/g3 and this corsair are all tier 1's are they.

 

also like the fact the g3 has an eco mode for the fan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

apparently evga has longer warranty, the g2/g3 and this corsair are all tier 1's are they.

 

also like the fact the g3 has an eco mode for the fan.

Well then, get the G3. I think it suits you!

 

wait how long is the warranty that EVGA gives? SeaSonic X Series is getting 7 years

 

and i wonder if they use ACX 3.0 in that PSU...


"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

 

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

 

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Well then, get the G3. I think it suits you!

 

wait how long is the warranty that EVGA gives? SeaSonic X Series is getting 7 years

 

and i wonder if they use ACX 3.0 in that PSU...

10 years, ive found corsair is the same, hmmm.

 

i can get the corsair but with postage it will cost £85, when i can pickup the g3 from ccl for £3 more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

apparently evga has longer warranty, the g2/g3 and this corsair are all tier 1's are they.

 

also like the fact the g3 has an eco mode for the fan.

Corsair updated the warranty for the RMx to 10 years from 7 years, while the 550/650 G2 / G3 is 7 years. You need to get the 750w+ G2 / G3 model to get the 10 year warranty.

 

According to the 850w review, the fanless / eco mode is effectively useless. It had the fan turned on at around <100wDC, and when it spin up, it goes up to 1500RPM. The RM650x and the EVGA Supernova 650 G2 would be quieter options, they are both semi-passive whose has a longer passive mode as well as a more relax overall fan profile (especially the RMx).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, quan289 said:

Corsair updated the warranty for the RMx to 10 years from 7 years, while the 550/650 G2 is 7 years.

 

According to the 850w review, the fanless / eco mode is effectively useless. It had the fan turned on at around <100wDC, and when it spin up, it goes up to 1500RPM. The RM650x and the EVGA Supernova 650 G2 would be quieter options, they are both semi-passive whose has a longer passive mode as well as a more relax overall fan profile (especially the RMx).

the g3 has 10 years, im probably going to go with the g3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

i swear im blind xD, i wont have it 7 years anyway xD.

 

i dont even know what my system pulls, think somewhere around 450-500.

lol, you may have looked at the 750w+ models, as those has the 10 year warranty. But quite honestly, 7 years is plenty either way.

 

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/09/26/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_gaming_x_8g_video_card_review/11

That's with an overclocked 6700k @ 4.7GHz - measurement at the wall, so the relevant power draw after the factoring power supply efficiency is around 300wDC with that GPU overclock they has put on it.

 

Anyways, the G2, G3, and RMx are all excellent power supplies. If you aren't too concern with noise, you would be fine with getting any of them. Enjoy your purchase on whichever you get.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, quan289 said:

lol, you may have looked at the 750w+ models, as those has the 10 year warranty. But quite honestly, 7 years is plenty either way.

 

Anyways, the G2, G3, and RMx are all excellent power supplies. If you aren't too concern with noise, you would be fine with getting any of them.

Also SeaSonic X Series, they are serious with silence


"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

 

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

 

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Also SeaSonic X Series, they are serious with silence

Yeah. They are pretty quiet; although can get on the "loud" side at heavy loads (80% and above - it didn't bothered me but it sure did with some of my colleagues...), but the OP shouldn't need to worry about that with his system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, quan289 said:

Yeah. They are pretty quiet; although can get on the "loud" side at heavy loads (80% and above - it didn't bothered me but it sure did with some of my colleagues...), but the OP shouldn't need to worry about that with his system.

I guess i can pay premium for those X Series, for my old system!


"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

 

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

 

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, quan289 said:

 

5 hours ago, MrJarhead said:

@STRMfrmXMN i know you made the psu tier list and thought your advice would be the best, at the moment i have an evga g1 650 (nex) and looking at your tier list its tier 4, i have had it around 1 year, and it has been fine, however, the fact its tier 4 makes me want to change it.

 

now... the evga g3 is only £5 more than the g2, im guessing its worth the £5 extra?

I was just going to recommend keeping your unit... but OK.

 

The NEX is down so low because it's a group-regulated unit. I don't take value into consideration in the PSU tier list but I feel like I may have unfairly judged the NEX since the Seasonic M12 and S12 are a tier above it while not really being better. The NEX is just a poor buy due to the fact that it's a really expensive group-regulated unit that costs as much as an EVGA GQ/G2/GS/G3.


|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

 

I was just going to recommend keeping your unit... but OK.

 

The NEX is down so low because it's a group-regulated unit. I don't take value into consideration in the PSU tier list but I feel like I may have unfairly judged the NEX since the Seasonic M12 and S12 are a tier above it while not really being better. The NEX is just a poor buy due to the fact that it's a really expensive group-regulated unit that costs as much as an EVGA GQ/G2/GS/G3.

thing is the price of it has risen, but i paid £60 for it, when i paid £60, there were no other fully modular gold rated psus anywhere near that price, they were all £80+.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×