Did my SSD just fail? "Write protected from chkdsk"

Blucyrik

hey all,

I was simply playing games when all of a sudden my system crashed (cant remember the error code) but when the system restarted my computer wasn't able to find a boot device. I then checked the BIOS and lo and behold my SSD was still being detected. I tried booting directly to it and still no luck. I then grabbed one of my thumb drives with a copy of windows 10 on it and booted into it and tried to repair the drive, still no luck! I also tried opening command prompt and running "chkdsk /r c:" and it gave me the following error message:

"Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected"

I've heard on Intel SSD's that once they've reached a certain number of cycles they lock themselves into read only mode and then just die. The drive is a 120gb Sandisk SSD so I don't think that's the case, any ideas?

Thanks!

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

25 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

put the drive in anouther system or boot from a usb and look at the smart data.

sorry for the late reply, but I plugged the drive into a second system and HDtune and crystaldiskinfo both say the drive is fine. I can also access all of the files, none of them are corrupted. it's as if windows shot itself in the foot and now refuses to boot, even though all of the data is still there on the drive.

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

On 7/3/2017 at 9:06 PM, Blucyrik said:

hey all,

I was simply playing games when all of a sudden my system crashed (cant remember the error code) but when the system restarted my computer wasn't able to find a boot device. I then checked the BIOS and lo and behold my SSD was still being detected. I tried booting directly to it and still no luck. I then grabbed one of my thumb drives with a copy of windows 10 on it and booted into it and tried to repair the drive, still no luck! I also tried opening command prompt and running "chkdsk /r c:" and it gave me the following error message:

"Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected"

I've heard on Intel SSD's that once they've reached a certain number of cycles they lock themselves into read only mode and then just die. The drive is a 120gb Sandisk SSD so I don't think that's the case, any ideas?

Thanks!

The boot drive is write protected from chkdisk. Try running the same command on another drive that is not an OS drive.

If I were to run that command on my SSD I would get the same result, Windows is just that way.

SpeedFan can analyze SMART data.

Some SSDs don't do too well when formatted with EFI partitions, I had a SanDisk a while back that I tried to put W8 on and it killed the drive.

Try 'chkdsk /f /r /x /b'