PC crashing due to PSU/poor wall power quality

I have been getting random PC crashes lately, I am 90% sure the crashes are being caused by 1 of 3 things.

1. Poor quality wall power, as I live in an older house/neighborhood

2. Poor quality PSU. It is a Rosewill 1000W, which at the time of purchase had mixed reviews, Bought it cause it was on sale, and cheap.

3. Too low on PC power usage for the 1000W supply. I feel this is the most likely situation as the PC only crashes while idling or under very light work loads, never crashes during gaming, or even long term stress tests.

The Rosewill supply is 80 plus bronze rated, but I feel like the supply is running to close to the edge of its efficiency curve and crashes sometimes due to this.

I am considering either buying a UPS/power conditioner to feed the system clean power, again I do know my area doesn't exactly get the best electricity to the outlets.

Or just buying a higher 80 plus rated, and lower wattage rated PSU.

Advice?

Any recommendations on inexpensive UPS' or power conditioners is welcome.

Thanks

-Mayo

26 minutes ago, MYSTICmayonaise said:

The Rosewill supply is 80 plus bronze rated, but I feel like the supply is running to close to the edge of its efficiency curve and crashes sometimes due to this.

That doesn't make sense. PSUs and their "efficiency curve" are such an overstated thing that it bugs me. You shouldn't bother buying a PSU based on the efficiency of the unit while you're using it (I.E. "curve") and your PSU would be fine at 100% load for several days provided it wasn't baking itself.

26 minutes ago, MYSTICmayonaise said:

I have been getting random PC crashes lately, I am 90% sure the crashes are being caused by 1 of 3 things.

1. Poor quality wall power, as I live in an older house/neighborhood

2. Poor quality PSU. It is a Rosewill 1000W, which at the time of purchase had mixed reviews, Bought it cause it was on sale, and cheap.

3. Too low on PC power usage for the 1000W supply. I feel this is the most likely situation as the PC only crashes while idling or under very light work loads, never crashes during gaming, or even long term stress tests.

I am considering either buying a UPS/power conditioner to feed the system clean power, again I do know my area doesn't exactly get the best electricity to the outlets.

Or just buying a higher 80 plus rated, and lower wattage rated PSU.

Advice?

Any recommendations on inexpensive UPS' or power conditioners is welcome.

Thanks

-Mayo

What is your exact model of PSU, your specs, are you using a surge protector, how hot are the components in your PC, what version of Windows are you running (and has it been reinstalled in an attempt to mend this?)?

Your 80 PLUS efficiency doesn't correlate to quality or really anything but how much power is wasted and turned into heat so don't buy a PSU based on its 80 PLUS efficiency. Check out the guide pinned on this subforum and in my signature to learn more about that.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

13 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

What is your exact model of PSU,

That's what I want to ask OP

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 3:57 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

That doesn't make sense. PSUs and their "efficiency curve" are such an overstated thing that it bugs me. You shouldn't bother buying a PSU based on the efficiency of the unit while you're using it (I.E. "curve") and your PSU would be fine at 100% load for several days provided it wasn't baking itself.

What is your exact model of PSU, your specs, are you using a surge protector, how hot are the components in your PC, what version of Windows are you running (and has it been reinstalled in an attempt to mend this?)?

Your 80 PLUS efficiency doesn't correlate to quality or really anything but how much power is wasted and turned into heat so don't buy a PSU based on its 80 PLUS efficiency. Check out the guide pinned on this subforum and in my signature to learn more about that.

sorry about the late reply

the power supply is a rosewill 1000 watt RBR1000-MS

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182188

Specs:

pc is a intel 5820k OCed to 4.2 (crashes with higher OC or no OC as well)

32gb of GSkill ripjaw ddr4 (over 8 sticks)

nvidia EVGA GTX 1080 FTW (pc also crashed with 2 EVGA SC 780's in sli)

asrock extreme 6 motherboard

and a few hdds and an sdd.

i am using a decent surge protector as well

pc temps are super cool all the time, cpu never goes passed 65 (unless im really stressing it in a benchmark like prime 95)

GPU never goes passed 75C

and running windows 10

and in all my testing the system only crashes when not under load anyway, sitting at idle or while listening to music or watching videos, very light tasks

4 hours ago, MYSTICmayonaise said:

sorry about the late reply

the power supply is a rosewill 1000 watt RBR1000-MS

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182188

Specs:

pc is a intel 5820k OCed to 4.2 (crashes with higher OC or no OC as well)

32gb of GSkill ripjaw ddr4 (over 8 sticks)

nvidia EVGA GTX 1080 FTW (pc also crashed with 2 EVGA SC 780's in sli)

asrock extreme 6 motherboard

and a few hdds and an sdd.

i am using a decent surge protector as well

pc temps are super cool all the time, cpu never goes passed 65 (unless im really stressing it in a benchmark like prime 95)

GPU never goes passed 75C

and running windows 10

and in all my testing the system only crashes when not under load anyway, sitting at idle or while listening to music or watching videos, very light tasks

That PSU is an older Rosewill unit with a 3-year warranty. I might be inclined to recommend a replacement.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

28 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That PSU is an older Rosewill unit with a 3-year warranty. I might be inclined to recommend a replacement.

as in warranty replace?

or just buy a new one.

1 minute ago, MYSTICmayonaise said:

as in warranty replace?

or just buy a new one.

New unit. The Rosewill Quark 550W is pretty cheap and would be a solid replacement.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

New unit. The Rosewill Quark 550W is pretty cheap and would be a solid replacement.

ill look into that, though i will be doing SLI in the future, so looking at something in the 800 watt range

I found a nice (looking and built) one from corsair i will get at sometime soonish

Thank you though

4 hours ago, MYSTICmayonaise said:

Lacking reviews, but 1000W PSU with Bronze efficiency? Sounds quite bad.

Check out @STRMfrmXMN PSU tier list. In your case, get any tier 1/2 PSU.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Lacking reviews, but 1000W PSU with Bronze efficiency? Sounds quite bad.

Check out @STRMfrmXMN PSU tier list. In your case, get any tier 1/2 PSU.

exactly, rosewill has also had some quality issues in regards to their power supply's, at least what I've found researching them.

so its time to switch

5 minutes ago, MYSTICmayonaise said:

exactly, rosewill has also had some quality issues in regards to their power supply's, at least what I've found researching them.

so its time to switch

Rosewill has good and bad units. Don't regard the entire brand (or any brand) by a handful of their products. The Quark I suggested is a very good unit.