ULTIMATE RGB PC Build Guide

9 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Well, then I guess it's not LTT :P this was the last time we would have access to it.

If you build it, we will watch. 

I'm sure you can find space to build a completely non functional kitchen.....

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Really cool video. 

Now upload the "Linus fall down from the table " part. 

xD

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

RGB is the new Black

RGB is the truth

Be RGB

Umm ... pick Ryzen with Wraith cooler and you just bought one hell of a content creation CPU plus saved other $100 for AIO cooler. You're welcome :D

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

The point of this build is not price to performance or even "the best performance" - it's "the RGB-ness," and to facilitate that our guys chose to use this board, which just so happened to be an Intel board. Nothing more than that.

19 minutes ago, SanityAgathion said:

Umm ... pick Ryzen with Wraith cooler and you just bought one hell of a content creation CPU plus saved other $100 for AIO cooler. You're welcome.

learn to read.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

if i made such a system. that'd be solid blue within a week of building it..

on that note..

Spoiler

879684e8c7.jpg

9ee4c2bdb2.jpg

769c6c6bd3.jpg

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

learn to read.

I read, thank you very much, but you may need to learn how to use your imagination a bit. I was just trying to point out that when going full-force on RGB, go full force. RGB on CPU cooler is one more RGB in your system.

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

The Core i5 is a fine choice for gaming, and if I'm not mistaken what Linus says is that if you're interested in content creation and only want to change out one part from this build he would recommend upgrading to a Core i7.

The point of this build is not price to performance or even "the best performance" - it's "the RGB-ness," and to facilitate that our guys chose to use this board, which just so happened to be an Intel board. Nothing more than that.

@Its Not Important still has a point with part selection, with a good number of people stating that you can still get better performance with a Ryzen 5 CPU and still have the RGB ridiculousness if that's your intended goal (with no regard to price-to-performance).

Here's page 4 of Gamers Nexus review of the Ryzen 5 stack. Page 3 has all the Blender workload with synthetics (I still consider Cinebench kind of real-world, as the benchmarking utility is based off of Maxon's Cinema 4D 3D modeling and animating tool, something I've used before in the past) http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2875-amd-r5-1600x-1500x-review-fading-i5-argument/page-4

3 hours ago, Its Not Important said:

There is absolutely no reason to buy i5 when there is Ryzen around. ESPECIALLY for "Content Creation" 

Now let me critique some part selection.

---

Case: As good as the In-Win 805 Infinity looks, it is god-awful functionality-wise and I wouldn't recommend that case or have chosen it (Like a car that looks good but is unreliable). You can still combine form and function with a case that cools all the components well and has all the looks (such as the Cougar Panzer). It is not that difficult at all.

CPU: Like what a lot of people are saying, you can get better for similar pricing with the AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs. Sure its averages are lower, the 1% and 0.1% percentile lows are better in gaming, and it has the threads to boot for content creation. Intel's i5's aren't that great in the long run, and the new product stack for what people should be going for is Intel Core i7's on the mainstream end solely for gaming and moderate content creation (4c, 8t), Ryzen 5's for gaming and content creation (4c, 8t or 6c, 12t), and Intel Pentiums (at least for now) for the rock-bottom of gaming (Any of Intel's Core i3's makes zero sense with the Pentium G4560's 2 cores and 4 threads). Short-term: Mainstream Core i7 -> Ryzen 5 (any one of them) -> Intel Pentium G4560.

Everything else is good though. I (like a lot of people) would have liked to seen a PC build similar to this with the following part selection (I live in California with an 8% sales tax, so keep that in mind):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($248.38 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H110i 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($120.94 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - CROSSHAIR VI HERO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($279.37 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($849.94 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($490.32 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) 
Case: Cougar - Panzer ATX Mid Tower Case  ($97.18 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.58 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit  ($143.37 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Corsair - HD120 RGB 54.4 CFM  120mm Fan  ($29.14 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Corsair - HD120 RGB 3-Pack w/Controller 54.4 CFM  120mm Fans  ($86.38 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Corsair - HD140 RGB 74.0 CFM  140mm Fan  ($35.62 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Corsair - HD140 RGB 74.0 CFM  140mm Fan  ($35.62 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($183.58 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Corsair - GLAIVE RGB Aluminum Wired Optical Mouse  ($75.58 @ Amazon) 
Headphones: Corsair - VOID 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($64.78 @ Amazon) 
Other: NZXT Internal USB Hub 
Other: Corsair - Gaming Mouse Pad - Black  ($68.77 @ Newegg) 
Other: CORSAIR Lighting Node PRO CL-9011109-WW, RGB Lighting Controller with 
Other: Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro (CL-9011110-WW)  ($75.58 @ Newegg) 
Other: Zadak 511 RGB SHIELD 240GB SSD 
Other: Asus ROG SLI HB Bridge (3-slot spacing) ($53.98)
Total: $3068.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-03 17:08 EDT-0400

It's just as stupid with all the RGB and poor price-to-performance ratio, but it makes much more sense compared to the Intel Core i5 version of it, and potentially performs better.

The K95 RGB Platinum is even more ridiculous in terms of quantity with the RGB lighting, the Glaive RGB Aluminum has some restraint with the RGB lighting along with the Void RGB, and the MM800 Polaris (Identified as Corsair - Gaming Mouse Pad - Black by PCPartPicker)

The Cougar Panzer (as reviewed by @JayzTwoCents) has much better functionality. You can still rig it up with RGB through the implementation of the Corsair Lighting Node Pro or the NZXT Hue+ (I chose the former as it was something used in the video, but the latter works just as well, plus I wanted to keep the number of lighting utilities down to two (Asus Aura + Corsair Link)). It does have it's quirks, but the functionality you get out of the case far outweighs them. I would choose the Thermaltake Core G21 because it looks a little bit more restrained in looks, but that's not out yet.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Re:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($248.38 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H110i 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($120.94 @ Amazon) 

Really, what about Ryzen 7 with Wraith MAX? That cooler is RGB as well, I just do not know whether it syncs with any currently used ecosystem. Wraith coolers are not bad either, well, unless you want to overclock. I obtained one with FX8370 and it's really silent.

14 minutes ago, SanityAgathion said:

RGB on CPU cooler is one more RGB in your system.

um...hello? The H110i has RGB under the Corsair logo on the CPU block. Plus it has the RGB fans installed onto the radiator.

So it has more RGB than the little Wraith cooler. Which for this build is what matters. As you say, go "full force"

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, SanityAgathion said:

Really, what about Ryzen 7 with Wraith MAX? That cooler is RGB as well, I just do not know whether it syncs with any currently used ecosystem. Wraith coolers are not bad either, well, unless you want to overclock. I obtained one with FX8370 and it's really silent.

The AMD Wraith Max is an OEM part, and therefore is not included. The maximum stock cooler you can get retail is the Wraith Spire.

I chose the Ryzen 5 1600X because it is similarily priced to the Intel Core i5-7600K.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

How was this not sponsored lol.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if it was because I saw Corsair's PR person wearing those same exact sunglasses.

And for the greenscreen I think that was manual as you can see it isn't in one solid color.

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

um...hello? The H110i has RGB under the Corsair logo on the CPU block. Plus it has the RGB fans installed onto the radiator.

So it has more RGB than the little Wraith cooler. Which for this build is what matters. As you say, go "full force"

OK sorry I just learned that Wraith Max is not available for purchase on retail. that's a shame.

Anyway, let's continue our arguement about "the RGBiest CPU cooler". Would let's say Noctua NH-U12S or NH-L12 with another Corsair RGB fan cut it? As for RGB fans on radiator - you do need radiator in order to install fans in case.

1 minute ago, SanityAgathion said:

Anyway, let's continue our arguement about "the RGBiest CPU cooler". Would let's say Noctua NH-U12S or NH-L12 with another Corsair RGB fan cut it? As for RGB fans on radiator - you do need radiator in order to install fans in case.

The upcoming Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi has the most RGB on an air cooler, and is compatible with NZXT CAM software rawr_plz_by_wasudo.gif

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

I'm confused, that nobody mentioned that the build guide didn't mention thermal paste (and didn't show applying it). Maybe everybody was blinded by the RGB lights or I'm the one who is blind :D

If I'm not completely blind, I'm certainly deaf, because he mentioned it. BTW, is it possible to delete similarly embarrassing comments?

Edited by Murphistic

4 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Why did they get booted out of that house again? Is it because of the noise they make? I don't really know the story because the first time I saw Linus was back in 2015 in his Techquickie channel I think around April or May. 

From what I remember they had to move out because they were operating a business from a house in the residential zone. Their new warehouse office is in business/office zone.

Sent from my Casio fx-991ES

But how were you filming in the old kitchen!?

oooh, wait. Have you built a kitchen set in the warehouse??

41 minutes ago, SanityAgathion said:

OK sorry I just learned that Wraith Max is not available for purchase on retail. that's a shame.

Nope. Triple fan NH-D14/15 is the way to go for air. Throw three RGB fans on it and your sorted. 

That's if you absolutely don't want the possibility of four fans on an AIO for all the RGB. 

I had to double-check to make sure I was reading 2017 and not 2015! Damn kitchen!

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

You guys can't be happy if others are happy right?

They do an amazing build and you have to come, get angry, throw shit everywhere and go to another place to throw even more shit.

At this point i don't even know why linus bothers to make videos ...

has anyone been able to find the product page for the LED seagate harddrive linus was talking about in the video?

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

Warning: Wall of text

This video is horrible. A i5 7600K is horrible compared to the Ryzen 5 1600X in everything apart from gaming. Then, he goes out and recommend the FRICKEN i7 7700K for content creation. The i7 7700K. This video is probably sponsored by Intel. 4 cores and 8 threads will get demolished by the 8 cores and 16 threads of the Ryzen 7 1700 in content creation. Can't stop ranting about this.

EDIT: Spam aspect of the comment removed by @nicklmg

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

24 minutes ago, JDE said:

This video is horrible. A i5 7600K is horrible compared to the Ryzen 5 1600X in everything apart from gaming. Then, he goes out and recommend the FRICKEN i7 7700K for content creation. The i7 7700K. This video is probably sponsored by Intel. 4 cores and 8 threads will get demolished by the 8 cores and 16 threads of the Ryzen 7 1700 in content creation. Can't stop ranting about this.

You should read my post regarding this if you haven't yet _happy__by_cookiemagik.gif

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

PLz Linus, use dedicated 8 pins for the GPU's. I cringe every time I see something like that. And that visible cable tie.... Nice shoes though. ;) I the system would have benefited from custom water cooling (clear), rgb water reservoirs are a thing now, see ENERMAX NEOChanger for an example (which works with AURA Sync btw). Yes, would have been more expensive and time consuming, BUT they put Ultimate (in caps) as the title.