Overclocking Laptop GTX 1050M

On 7/3/2017 at 1:17 AM, themctipers said:

gpuboost 3 already does this for you, even with a 1070 all i lose is 50mhz going from gpuboost to manual overclocking.

You're power limited to all hell, is why. The cards have 35W less than the desktop reference cards while having MORE cores and the same clockspeed ranges. Physics says "hello, here are my laws".

On 1/17/2018 at 10:49 AM, Tobian Maps said:

Hi. I'm the owner of Dell 7567 i7 + 1050ti. And there is the problems with Power Limit throttling when it can't even touch base frequencies.
Take a look at the screenshots

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 2.jpg

And the funniest screenshot comes below this text - it Happens ONLY When Intel Dynamic Management and Thermal Framework is NOT deleted from system (causing CPU throttling when GPU under load - sounds LOL but Its's a Dell baby xD)
7.jpg
My i7 7700HQ already undervolted by -110mv. This is not thermal problem, I think it's caused by VBios settings which I can't modify.

Tried so much solutions and none of them helps. I'm not alone with this problem, know at least 10 guys with same problems.
Problem happens not only in Furmark but in games too, not so often and more chance to see it in heavy games like Tera Online, sometimes happens even in Dota 2. You losing half of your fps for ~5 seconds when it comes...

Furmark will kill your clock below base by design though. Because it overstresses the VRM/power delivery systems. It's built to fail doing them by default from Nvidia afaik.

As for your CPU throttling problem... welcome to laptops, where nobody builds a laptop to handle the parts they shove in then overcharge for.

On 7/3/2017 at 1:06 AM, Dhruv Ghayal said:

I have Asus Fx553VD Laptop, a gtx 1050 with i7 7700hq and 8gb ram. My gpu is running well under 80 degrees while gaming, so I want to overclock it but before doing so I want an expert opinion on it. My gpu is holding 1749Mhz at 75* while playing GTA 5, I know that I can't tweak voltage gpu and even I dont want to do so,also no memory clock tweaking, I just want to increase core clock. But I am concerned about power consumption, as I have only 120Watt Asus laptop adapter. Can someone guide me. I had tried once to increase my core clock to 1354+100 and it ran well, also I had compared my model with GL553VD and GL553VE ( here's the link https://www.asus.com/in/Product-Compare/?products=PTiGzQUcHni0Hl2z,AnpBtRKze8FjApcm,mhTbsgvqzVP8ruaj&b=1 ) while comparing all 3 models I found that all having same 120Watt adapter so I think my laptop is the base model of high end Asus Rog GL553. I wounder how GTX 1050ti is working with 120Watts only.

ASUS probably has locked your stuff down heavily. If you're at 1749MHz at 75C, then you're power limited or firmware limited, or maybe the cooling is such shit on the unit that it isn't handling the VRM cooling properly and your core clock is suffering as a result. I couldn't tell you. But what you can do is check MSI Afterburner and use its voltage adjustment abilities, force voltage to something like 0.95v maximum at 1800MHz+ and you might be able to squeeze more power out of it.

Here's the big thing. You have no method of increasing TDP allowance, therefore you cannot overdraw your power brick. Overclocking or not doesn't matter. The card WILL NOT pull over the limit set in its vBIOS, so whether you're getting 2000MHz or 1600MHz, if it's under sufficient stress, isn't firmware limited (ASUS does that, thermal throttle at 75c for some of their units, don't put it past them, they're a garbage notebook ODM/OEM, extremely anti-consumer) and isn't thermal throttling, then you're drawing the same amount of power regardless of the speed (it probably changes with game loads etc).

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

27 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

You're power limited to all hell, is why. The cards have 35W less than the desktop reference cards while having MORE cores and the same clockspeed ranges. Physics says "hello, here are my laws".

Furmark will kill your clock below base by design though. Because it overstresses the VRM/power delivery systems. It's built to fail doing them by default from Nvidia afaik.

As for your CPU throttling problem... welcome to laptops, where nobody builds a laptop to handle the parts they shove in then overcharge for.

ASUS probably has locked your stuff down heavily. If you're at 1749MHz at 75C, then you're power limited or firmware limited, or maybe the cooling is such shit on the unit that it isn't handling the VRM cooling properly and your core clock is suffering as a result. I couldn't tell you. But what you can do is check MSI Afterburner and use its voltage adjustment abilities, force voltage to something like 0.95v maximum at 1800MHz+ and you might be able to squeeze more power out of it.

Here's the big thing. You have no method of increasing TDP allowance, therefore you cannot overdraw your power brick. Overclocking or not doesn't matter. The card WILL NOT pull over the limit set in its vBIOS, so whether you're getting 2000MHz or 1600MHz, if it's under sufficient stress, isn't firmware limited (ASUS does that, thermal throttle at 75c for some of their units, don't put it past them, they're a garbage notebook ODM/OEM, extremely anti-consumer) and isn't thermal throttling, then you're drawing the same amount of power regardless of the speed (it probably changes with game loads etc).

IMG_8854.PNG.849c6d82dbaaec9202c3dd78fde48447.PNG

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.