Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can learn an extensive amount of knowledge about designing and building servers on the data centre scale. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Thanks,

Josh

What specifically did you want to know?

At the data center scale, a person wouldn't be building their servers, they would be buying them prebuilt. 

Designing a datacenter architecture might be more what you're thinking of where you would be designing a network of your servers, networking, storage systems, power, and any other things you would have in your project scope. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2017 at 3:52 PM, Windspeed36 said:

What specifically did you want to know?

I essentially want to know where I can become a server architect.

On 7/2/2017 at 4:28 PM, kerradeph said:

At the data center scale, a person wouldn't be building their servers, they would be buying them prebuilt. 

Designing a datacenter architecture might be more what you're thinking of where you would be designing a network of your servers, networking, storage systems, power, and any other things you would have in your project scope. 

And yeah, but somebody builds that somewhere. Where would I get the knowledge to learn how to do that?

Thanks,

Josh

1 minute ago, rosanoman said:

I essentially want to know where I can become a server architect.

And yeah, but somebody builds that somewhere. Where would I get the knowledge to learn how to do that?

I mean they would be built by people who work at Dell/HP/IBM/Supermicro or whatever. If you mean how do they determine the bits that go in for the specific builds, that would probably be a group of people with computer engineering/electronic engineering degrees that try and get drivers that work nicely together but even then there are issues. 

essentially the same as building a desktop .. but with more redundancy built in (power supplys , hdd & ecc ram)

I think more what you are asking about is information systems and computers in general.  I would find a good course on Information Systems.  Server architecture is the same as desktop architecture as a server is only a computer, and could be any computer.  If you are talking about enterprise architecture like in mainframes and the sorts then in my opinion your best bet is to learn from networking events, like go to nearby events and meetups and network with some other IT people.  From my own experience the 'average' people in IT don't go to meetups, but the exceptional people do.  Everyone I've met at the meetups in my area whether it be SQL, Networking, Security, OWASP.   They are all exceptional IT people who know their stuff. 

And if you want to learn, best to learn from people who are interfacing with the equipment on a daily basis.  Also try to learn about IT in general and (don't get them just yet but read the study material) for certifications.  The ones from Microsoft and RedHat and even CompTIA can help you to understand how systems work, and how they are managed in the enterprise.  Good luck!