PCSX2 Emulation with steam launching, widescreen support, cloud saves, "auto" configuration (Tutorial)

So I love me some emulation, getting to play games I missed out on as a kid, making em look better, and In general reliving some awesome games!

But I have had problems with emulation as well, particularly when it comes to things like the PS2, some of these issues extend to other platforms, but today I will be focusing on the ps2/PCSX2 quality of life improvements and making it as easy to live with as possible. 

I also do apologise for the length of this, I have split sections up with spoilers.

DISCLAIMER

Spoiler

Concerning downloading of games and BIOS Emulation is always a grey area with people, do not ask about pirating games or acquiring PS2 BIOS files, this is illegal. The only legal way to go about these things is to Rip your own ISOs from legitimate discs and to dump your BIOS from your own PS2. This is not what this tutorial is focused on, I won't be answering questions about that. That being said let's get started with this tutorial.

The 1st thing you are going to want to do of course is set up your emulator, I won't be going over this since this tutorial is about "quality of life improvements" with the emulator, and there is a wealth of documentation on settings PCSX2 emulator up. So let's get started with steam launching our titles.

• Steam Launching your PS2 Titles
Spoiler

So the 1st thing we are going to do to achieve this is to set up out directories. Install PCSX2 in whatever location you want to keep it in, Following that we are going to make a directory for our isos/roms.

• Directory Setup Tip:  I personally emulate a lot of consoles, the best way I have personally found to set up my directories is I have an "Emulation" folder, within that folder I have a "Consoles" & "ROMs" folder. Within each of those, I have the console manufacturer in question so in this case Sony. Then I have each platform that manufacturer has made within that category. Finally, in the platforms name I have the name of the emulator in question and the version number as an easy way to tell how out of date the emulator might be, the ROMs folder follows the same idea, just without the emulator name folder

Once we have our emulator and games directories setup we are going to go into steam. In the bottom left of steam, you will see "ADD A GAME" we are going to click on that, and "Add a Non-Steam Game"

In the new window that pops up, we are going to select our "pcsx2.exe" executable and "ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS"

So now we have our emulator in steam, but it can't auto launch a title yet. So what we are going to do is right click on the pcsx2 entry in our steam list and go to properties. Then we are going to go into Windows Explorer and navigate to our folder with the actual games. Back in steam we are going to change the name of the steam shortcut, I am going to use Metal Gear Solid 2 as an example, so we will change the name of pcsx2 to "Metal Gear Solid 2"

After that, we are going to go to the "Target" entry field. In here you will have the path that directs our shortcut to the emulator for my use case it looks like this. (Do not omit quotation marks.)

"D:\Games\Emulators\Consoles\Sony\PS2\PCSX2 1.4.0\pcsx2.exe"

To make the game auto launch we need to alter this, after the entry for PCSX2 we are going to put a space. (Be mindful not to delete the quotes,) and then we are going to put the pathway to the iso we are trying to load, so in my case, it would be. (Do not omit quotation marks.)

"D:\Games\Emulators\ROMs\Sony\PS2\Metal Gear Solid 2.iso"

So now the whole target line will look something like this.

"D:\Games\Emulators\Consoles\Sony\PS2\PCSX2 1.4.0\pcsx2.exe" "D:\Games\Emulators\ROMs\Sony\PS2\Metal Gear Solid 2.iso"

And that is, if everything is done correctly now upon launching "Metal Gear Solid 2" in your Steam library it will launch PCSX2 which will then load up MGS2. You may notice that the emulator GUI is still lingering and the game isn't full screen, we are going to get to these facts later on so when you launch it "feels" like a native PC game and you don't have to manually close the GUI and full screen it.

• Widescreen support
Spoiler

To widescreen games on PCSX2 we need to use "cheats" and we will need to get a download, this is a pretty simple process though overall. Do note though this is still going to render the game in its native resolution, we need to tinker with visual settings to push the visuals into "HD." All this will do is make the game fill your entire screen without stretching things.

• -edit concerning widescreen cheats download: I have been informed that PCSX2 already includes widescreen patches in "cheats_ws.rar" which is in your pcsx2 installation directory, so you can just extract that into its folder. But keep in mind these versions might not be the latest version. I only have 3 games "installed" as of writing this and already found a newer patch I already had installed for one, so if you want to get the latest ones read on, if you dont care just skim everything about downloading them and adapt the guide a bit for your use case.

The 1st thing we are going to want to do is download our widescreen patches. you can get them here.

Simply download the .rar at the bottom of the linked post, and put it somewhere you intend to keep it and extract the rar. I personally put them in the cloud so I know exactly where they are.  Do make sure to try to keep your widescreen patches up to date by seeing if the above post was edited since new ones are made and they get refined overtime. 

Once that is done we need to then tell pcsx2 to output in 16:9, we do this by going to: Config > Video (GS) >  Window Settings > Aspect Ratio: Widescreen (16:9)

Now that we have done that we are going to go to our extracted widescreen patches folder and find our game. 

there are 4 major folders we need to be focused on here.

• NTSC-J for Japanese games
  • NTSC-K for...Korean games? I'm not sure here.
  • NTSC-U for North American games
  • PAL for European games

You need to go into the folder for the games region that applies, for example, if I have a Japanese Metal Gear Solid 2 I wanna widescreen, I need to go look for my patch in NTSC-J the NTSC-U one wont work, and vice-versa.

So head into the folder of the corresponding region and find the title of the game you are trying to fix, once there copy the .pnach file within the folder, then go back to your pcsx2 install directory, place the file in the folder labeled cheats_ws and we are done, if done correctly MGS2 will now be in widescreen, of course no other games we launch will be until we find and move that titles .pnach file.

• Cloud Saves
Spoiler

This was a HUGE sticking point for me with emulators, I love doing it but I mostly do play new titles, and I reformat my machine usually once a year. so sadly I lose progress on emulated titles. I am going to be focusing on cloud saving the virtual memory cards for PCSX2 rather then save states simply because it is easier and save states are not compatible across newer iterations of pcsx2 where is the virtual memory cards are.

For this tutorial I am going to be using OneDrive because its built into windows and I have 30gb with it, so if you use things like Google Drive or Dropbox I'm afraid you are going to have to do your best to adapt this section of the guide for yourself.

So the 1st thing I am going to do here is set up our folders in one drive, I use a similar folder layout as I do in the above "Directory Setup Tip" to make things easy to find between various platforms and it looks like this.

OneDrive > Game Saves > Emulators > Virtual Mem Cards > PCSX2

Once our directory is setup go into the pcsx2 install directory and copy the "memcards" folder and place it in the above cloud save directory. Don't bother deleting the old memcards directory it's irreverent, and pcsx2 will make a new one each time its launched. 

Now that we have our folder location make sure that you have 2 files in there, Mcd001.ps2 and Mcd002.ps2, these are your actual memory cards, if they are not there check if they are in the install folder for pcsx2, if they are not there...go... to the PCSX2 forums, I have no idea. 

The last step in this is simply directing pcsx2 to look here for memory cards, so launch the emulator then go too.

Config > Memory Cards

The top text entry field here will be the directory pcsx2 is going to look for your memory cards, click the browse button then go into OneDrive and click ONCE on the memcards folder, you want to highlight the folder, not enter it. Once highlighted click "Select Folder" then finally press OK in the PCSX2 window and you should have cloud saving setup.

• Auto-loading emulator configuration on a per-game basis
Spoiler

This is another major sticking point for emulation for me. there are a billion and one options for configuring and you need to recall settings between games, or write them down. And even then odds are good you are not going to get the most visual fidelity since you are just gonna say fuck it, it runs, good enough.  

What this part of the guide won't help with is finding those optimal settings, you are still going to have to set those up yourself, but what it will do is once you are 100% convinced these are the best settings for this particular game they will then auto-load each time you run the title.

You can do this via normal shortcuts that you leave in your desktop by again editing target lines like we did to make it work on steam but I am going to write this as if we are still launching our game though steam. So lets begin.

So we have our ps2 game launching through steam and the shortcut is working in that PCSX2 Launches, followed by the title in question so as I mentioned before our target line in steam looks something like this.

"D:\Games\Emulators\Consoles\Sony\PS2\PCSX2 1.4.0\pcsx2.exe" "D:\Games\Emulators\ROMs\Sony\PS2\Metal Gear Solid 2.iso"

To start with setting up our auto configuration we need to run the title and do ALL of our settings and get them set up to how we want it, or at the very least make it acceptable. This includes all of the Emulation Settings, GS settings, sound settings, gamepad settings and ect. 

• Tips for finding out ideal emulator settings/a good starting point:  I know this part is a major pain in the ass with PCSX2 but there is something to help ease the pain of just tinkering for hours and its the PCSX2 Wiki. Sadly, as of typing this it is down. But if and when it comes back you can find it here. Not all is lost though, I do have a work around for today, the 1st thing we are going to have to do is go to the pcsx compatibility page. Find the title you are trying to emulate, (make sure you select the right region.)  Click on the title and it will expand a little bit. You will see a "Wiki link" header with a link in under it, right click and "copy link address" Then we are going to go to the Way Back Machine and hope it captured a snapshot of the wiki, so put your copied link in the browse history bar and let it search, try to find the newest working snapshot of the page you are trying to access. in the "Test configurations on Windows" section you will usually find a good starting point for you to start at the very least tinkering if not have the game be entirely playable!

Once you are happy with how the game runs/plays/looks you are going to wanna exit the emulator, you will then need to find your configuration inis, there are apparently 2 possible locations they could be depending on if you used the PCSX2 Installer or the PCSX2 binaries, for what its worth I used the binaries.

• If you used the PCSX2 installer: The default location of the inis are in "My Documents\PCSX2" As for the exact location of the inis with this method I'm not too sure since I haven't used it, but if it is like it is with the binaries you are looking for a "inis_1.4.0" folder.
  • If you used the binaries (.7z): The default location of the inis folder is directly in the folder your pcsx2.exe resides in, as of pcsx 1.4.0 you are looking for a folder called "inis_1.4.0"

Now that we found the inis we need to copy the folder they reside in, in this case with PCSX 1.4.0 we need to copy  inis_1.4.0, past this where you would like to hold your configurations, I personally store these in the cloud too so I have them when I get a new computer/reformat/wanna play on a new system.

Then rename this folder to relate to the game it is for, in this case I will be calling it MGS2-inis

Now for the final step, we are going to go back to steam, and back to our target line, in there we are going add in "--cfgpath=" (without quotes) to the very end of the target field. Make sure you add it to the end and not between the pcsx2.exe target, and the iso target. 

Then immediately after the "=" in --cfgpath= add in the path to your game configuration (surround the path in quotes)

So for me it looks like this at the very end.

--cfgpath="C:\Users\Admin User\OneDrive\PCSX2Configs\MGS2-inis" 

And your whole target line should read something like this.

"D:\Games\Emulators\Consoles\Sony\PS2\PCSX2 1.4.0\pcsx2.exe" "D:\Games\Emulators\ROMs\Sony\PS2\Metal Gear Solid 2.iso" --cfgpath="C:\Users\Admin User\OneDrive\PCSX2Configs\MGS2-inis"

If done correctly PCSX2 will now load up the inis your specific set for MGS2, and while I have not yet tested this, if you make an alteration to the emulators settings it will be saved to the game specific INIs rather then the default ones I have read.

• Extra Commands to Make the Title Feel Like a Native PC Title
Spoiler

Nothing much here but here are a few things you can add to the end of your target line to make it a bit less fiddly and feel more like a proper PC title.

--nogui

This will make it so none of PCSX2s interface will come up when the game is launched. Make sure you are content with the game settings if you use this though since as far as I can tell you cant pull the GUI up again and tinker with emulator settings if something is wrong/needs tweaking unless you manually launch pcsx2 and your game you need to tweek.

--fullscreen

Pretty self-explanatory, will pull your game window up in fullscreen mode.

Just for an example with these 2 commands added your Target field will look something like this. 

D:\Games\Emulators\Consoles\Sony\PS2\PCSX2 1.4.0\pcsx2.exe" "D:\Games\Emulators\ROMs\Sony\PS2\Metal Gear Solid 2.iso" --cfgpath="C:\Users\Admin User\OneDrive\PCSX2Configs\MGS2-inis" --nogui --fullscreen

Anyways that covers it all, hopefully this all made sense and i don't have much in the way of grammar errors, I'm notorious for not fully paying attention and typing and slipping in words that make no sense, I do hope this helps SOMEONE out there and if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them, that is assuming its nothing mentioned in the disclaimer at the top.

I also have no idea why there are random numbers in some of the spoilers, but I can't delete them without removing the spoiler tag... I dont wanna mess up my formating so they are going to stay.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

29 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

So I love me some emulation, getting to play games I missed out on as a kid, making em look better, and In general reliving some awesome games!

But I have had problems with emulation as well, particularly when it comes to things like the PS2, some of these issues extend to other platforms, but today I will be focusing on the ps2/PCSX2 quality of life improvements and making it as easy to live with as possible. 

I also do apologise for the length of this, I have split sections up with spoilers.

DISCLAIMER

Reveal hidden contents

Concerning downloading of games and BIOS Emulation is always a grey area with people, do not ask about pirating games or acquiring PS2 BIOS files, this is illegal. The only legal way to go about these things is to Rip your own ISOs from legitimate discs and to dump your BIOS from your own PS2. This is not what this tutorial is focused on, I won't be answering questions about that. That being said let's get started with this tutorial.

The 1st thing you are going to want to do of course is set up your emulator, I won't be going over this since this tutorial is about "quality of life improvements" with the emulator, and there is a wealth of documentation on settings PCSX2 emulator up. So let's get started with steam launching our titles.

• Steam Launching your PS2 Titles
  Hide contents

So the 1st thing we are going to do to achieve this is to set up out directories. Install PCSX2 in whatever location you want to keep it in, Following that we are going to make a directory for our isos/roms.

• Directory Setup Tip:  I personally emulate a lot of consoles, the best way I have personally found to set up my directories is I have an "Emulation" folder, within that folder I have a "Consoles" & "ROMs" folder. Within each of those, I have the console manufacturer in question so in this case Sony. Then I have each platform that manufacturer has made within that category. Finally, in the platforms name I have the name of the emulator in question and the version number as an easy way to tell how out of date the emulator might be, the ROMs folder follows the same idea, just without the emulator name folder

Once we have our emulator and games directories setup we are going to go into steam. In the bottom left of steam, you will see "ADD A GAME" we are going to click on that, and "Add a Non-Steam Game"

In the new window that pops up, we are going to select our "pcsx2.exe" executable and "ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS"

So now we have our emulator in steam, but it can't auto launch a title yet. So what we are going to do is right click on the pcsx2 entry in our steam list and go to properties. Then we are going to go into Windows Explorer and navigate to our folder with the actual games. Back in steam we are going to change the name of the steam shortcut, I am going to use Metal Gear Solid 2 as an example, so we will change the name of pcsx2 to "Metal Gear Solid 2"

After that, we are going to go to the "Target" entry field. In here you will have the path that directs our shortcut to the emulator for my use case it looks like this. (Do not omit quotation marks.)

"D:\Games\Emulators\Consoles\Sony\PS2\PCSX2 1.4.0\pcsx2.exe"

To make the game auto launch we need to alter this, after the entry for PCSX2 we are going to put a space. (Be mindful not to delete the quotes,) and then we are going to put the pathway to the iso we are trying to load, so in my case, it would be. (Do not omit quotation marks.)

"D:\Games\Emulators\ROMs\Sony\PS2\Metal Gear Solid 2.iso"

So now the whole target line will look something like this.

And that is, if everything is done correctly now upon launching "Metal Gear Solid 2" in your Steam library it will launch PCSX2 which will then load up MGS2. You may notice that the emulator GUI is still lingering and the game isn't full screen, we are going to get to these facts later on so when you launch it "feels" like a native PC game and you don't have to manually close the GUI and full screen it.

• Widescreen support
  Reveal hidden contents

To widescreen games on PCSX2 we need to use "cheats" and we will need to get a download, this is a pretty simple process though overall. Do note though this is still going to render the game in its native resolution, we need to tinker with visual settings to push the visuals into "HD." All this will do is make the game fill your entire screen without stretching things.

The 1st thing we are going to want to do is download our widescreen patches. you can get them here.

Simply download the .rar at the bottom of the linked post, and put it somewhere you intend to keep it and extract the rar. I personally put them in the cloud so I know exactly where they are.  Do make sure to try to keep your widescreen patches up to date by seeing if the above post was edited since new ones are made and they get refined overtime. 

Once that is done we need to then tell pcsx2 to output in 16:9, we do this by going to: Config > Video (GS) >  Window Settings > Aspect Ratio: Widescreen (16:9)

Now that we have done that we are going to go to our extracted widescreen patches folder and find our game. 

there are 4 major folders we need to be focused on here.

• NTSC-J for Japanese games
  • NTSC-K for...Korean games? I'm not sure here.
  • NTSC-U for North American games
  • PAL for European games

You need to go into the folder for the games region that applies, for example, if I have a Japanese Metal Gear Solid 2 I wanna widescreen, I need to go look for my patch in NTSC-J the NTSC-U one wont work, and vice-versa.

So head into the folder of the corresponding region and find the title of the game you are trying to fix, once there copy the .pnach file within the folder, then go back to your pcsx2 install directory, place the file in the folder labeled cheats_ws and we are done, if done correctly MGS2 will now be in widescreen, of course no other games we launch will be until we find and move that titles .pnach file.

• Cloud Saves
  Reveal hidden contents

This was a HUGE sticking point for me with emulators, I love doing it but I mostly do play new titles, and I reformat my machine usually once a year. so sadly I lose progress on emulated titles. I am going to be focusing on cloud saving the virtual memory cards for PCSX2 rather then save states simply because it is easier and save states are not compatible across newer iterations of pcsx2 where is the virtual memory cards are.

For this tutorial I am going to be using OneDrive because its built into windows and I have 30gb with it, so if you use things like Google Drive or Dropbox I'm afraid you are going to have to do your best to adapt this section of the guide for yourself.

So the 1st thing I am going to do here is set up our folders in one drive, I use a similar folder layout as I do in the above "Directory Setup Tip" to make things easy to find between various platforms and it looks like this.

OneDrive > Game Saves > Emulators > Virtual Mem Cards > PCSX2

Once our directory is setup go into the pcsx2 install directory and copy the "memcards" folder and place it in the above cloud save directory. Don't bother deleting the old memcards directory it's irreverent, and pcsx2 will make a new one each time its launched. 

Now that we have our folder location make sure that you have 2 files in there, Mcd001.ps2 and Mcd002.ps2, these are your actual memory cards, if they are not there check if they are in the install folder for pcsx2, if they are not there...go... to the PCSX2 forums, I have no idea. 

The last step in this is simply directing pcsx2 to look here for memory cards, so launch the emulator then go too.

Config > Memory Cards

The top text entry field here will be the directory pcsx2 is going to look for your memory cards, click the browse button then go into OneDrive and click ONCE on the memcards folder, you want to highlight the folder, not enter it. Once highlighted click "Select Folder" then finally press OK in the PCSX2 window and you should have cloud saving setup.

• Auto-loading emulator configuration on a per-game basis
  Reveal hidden contents

This is another major sticking point for emulation for me. there are a billion and one options for configuring and you need to recall settings between games, or write them down. And even then odds are good you are not going to get the most visual fidelity since you are just gonna say fuck it, it runs, good enough.  

What this part of the guide won't help with is finding those optimal settings, you are still going to have to set those up yourself, but what it will do is once you are 100% convinced these are the best settings for this particular game they will then auto-load each time you run the title.

You can do this via normal shortcuts that you leave in your desktop by again editing target lines like we did to make it work on steam but I am going to write this as if we are still launching our game though steam. So lets begin.

So we have our ps2 game launching through steam and the shortcut is working in that PCSX2 Launches, followed by the title in question so as I mentioned before our target line in steam looks something like this.

To start with setting up our auto configuration we need to run the title and do ALL of our settings and get them set up to how we want it, or at the very least make it acceptable. This includes all of the Emulation Settings, GS settings, sound settings, gamepad settings and ect. 

• Tips for finding out ideal emulator settings/a good starting point:  I know this part is a major pain in the ass with PCSX2 but there is something to help ease the pain of just tinkering for hours and its the PCSX2 Wiki. Sadly, as of typing this it is down. But if and when it comes back you can find it here. Not all is lost though, I do have a work around for today, the 1st thing we are going to have to do is go to the pcsx compatibility page. Find the title you are trying to emulate, (make sure you select the right region.)  Click on the title and it will expand a little bit. You will see a "Wiki link" header with a link in under it, right click and "copy link address" Then we are going to go to the Way Back Machine and hope it captured a snapshot of the wiki, so put your copied link in the browse history bar and let it search, try to find the newest working snapshot of the page you are trying to access. in the "Test configurations on Windows" section you will usually find a good starting point for you to start at the very least tinkering if not have the game be entirely playable!

Once you are happy with how the game runs/plays/looks you are going to wanna exit the emulator, you will then need to find your configuration inis, there are apparently 2 possible locations they could be depending on if you used the PCSX2 Installer or the PCSX2 binaries, for what its worth I used the binaries.

• If you used the PCSX2 installer: The default location of the inis are in "My Documents\PCSX2" As for the exact location of the inis with this method I'm not too sure since I haven't used it, but if it is like it is with the binaries you are looking for a "inis_1.4.0" folder.
  • If you used the binaries (.7z): The default location of the inis folder is directly in the folder your pcsx2.exe resides in, as of pcsx 1.4.0 you are looking for a folder called "inis_1.4.0"

Now that we found the inis we need to copy the folder they reside in, in this case with PCSX 1.4.0 we need to copy  inis_1.4.0, past this where you would like to hold your configurations, I personally store these in the cloud too so I have them when I get a new computer/reformat/wanna play on a new system.

Then rename this folder to relate to the game it is for, in this case I will be calling it MGS2-inis

Now for the final step, we are going to go back to steam, and back to our target line, in there we are going add in "--cfgpath=" (without quotes) to the very end of the target field. Make sure you add it to the end and not between the pcsx2.exe target, and the iso target. 

Then immediately after the "=" in --cfgpath= add in the path to your game configuration (surround the path in quotes)

So for me it looks like this at the very end.

--cfgpath="C:\Users\Admin User\OneDrive\PCSX2Configs\MGS2-inis" 

And your whole target line should read something like this.

"D:\Games\Emulators\Consoles\Sony\PS2\PCSX2 1.4.0\pcsx2.exe" "D:\Games\Emulators\ROMs\Sony\PS2\Metal Gear Solid 2.iso" --cfgpath="C:\Users\Admin User\OneDrive\PCSX2Configs\MGS2-inis"

If done correctly PCSX2 will now load up the inis your specific set for MGS2, and while I have not yet tested this, if you make an alteration to the emulators settings it will be saved to the game specific INIs rather then the default ones I have read.

• Extra Commands to Make the Title Feel Like a Native PC Title
  Reveal hidden contents

Nothing much here but here are a few things you can add to the end of your target line to make it a bit less fiddly and feel more like a proper PC title.

--nogui

This will make it so none of PCSX2s interface will come up when the game is launched. Make sure you are content with the game settings if you use this though since as far as I can tell you cant pull the GUI up again and tinker with emulator settings if something is wrong/needs tweaking unless you manually launch pcsx2 and your game you need to tweek.

--fullscreen

Pretty self-explanatory, will pull your game window up in fullscreen mode.

Just for an example with these 2 commands added your Target field will look something like this. 

D:\Games\Emulators\Consoles\Sony\PS2\PCSX2 1.4.0\pcsx2.exe" "D:\Games\Emulators\ROMs\Sony\PS2\Metal Gear Solid 2.iso" --cfgpath="C:\Users\Admin User\OneDrive\PCSX2Configs\MGS2-inis" --nogui --fullscreen

Anyways that covers it all, hopefully this all made sense and i don't have much in the way of grammar errors, I'm notorious for not fully paying attention and typing and slipping in words that make no sense, I do hope this helps SOMEONE out there and if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them, that is assuming its nothing mentioned in the disclaimer at the top.

Nice work.. i suppose you could make quick batch files for each of the games so you don't have to do it everytime you reinstall, putting the batch files with the executable (one folder with batchfiles is easier to restore than one batch in each game folder)
which in your example would be something like 

@ Echo off
pcsx2.exe D:\Games\Emulators\ROMs\Sony\PS2\Metal Gear Solid 2

(excuse my poor batch making skills :P )

and you should be able to add those to steam directly without any configuration needed

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU