Ghettomodding fans - cutting corner tubes

Hello guys i have ordered some rubber fan screws and i ran into a problem with these "tubes" between holes in the corners of the fan. Can i cut them out? Wont it affect structural strength of the fan?

Thanks!

IMG_20170702_193627_01.jpg

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

15 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Hello guys i have ordered some rubber fan screws and i ran into a problem with these "tubes" between holes in the corners of the fan. Can i cut them out? Wont it affect structural strength of the fan?

Thanks!

IMG_20170702_193627_01.jpg

the tubes are for the fastening screws.. if you are using rubber plugs, cutting below the plug and leaving the inner ring intact should be ok, but it might be weaker at stopping vibration..

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

50 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Thanks!

It will weaken the rigidity of the fan slightly but those are also where the self tapping screws cut threads into the fan frame so removing it may lead it to the inability to screw them in in the future.  

-Moved to Modding Section- 

On 7/2/2017 at 11:06 PM, W-L said:

It will weaken the rigidity of the fan slightly but those are also where the self tapping screws cut threads into the fan frame so removing it may lead it to the inability to screw them in in the future.  

-Moved to Modding Section- 

Is it odd that none of my fans have said tubes and that the self tapping screws actually tap into the fan frame? o.O

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

7 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

Is it odd that none of my fans have said tubes and that the self tapping screws actually tap into the fan frame? o.O

I guess that is true some just have a corner frames, or a plastic sleeve for the screw to bite into.