Floatplane club without needing a creditcard?

Hi Linus Tech Tips and Floatplane Club,

After seeing Wan show today I decided to subscribe to Floatplane club. But in checkout Paypal requires me to fill in a credit card.
This is because Floatplane club is an automatically renewing subscription. The point is that I am Europian and I do not have a credit card.
That's because we have other payment systems and to make a credit card for just this is not something I like to do. I am using Paypal hardly ones a month already.

Is it possible to create a yearly subscription to Floatplane Club that does not automatically renew, but sends an email two weeks before the term ends asking you to pay for a year again?  
Usually, I adapt to foreign systems because that is how it works, but I do not feel like adding a third payment system just for this one subscription. That is because it complicates stuff.

I believe this makes the Floatplane Club more accessible and that is a good thing, right?

Edit: Fixed spelling/grammar error.

23 minutes ago, Arthurvs said:

Hi Linus Tech Tips and Floatplane Club,

After seeing Wan show today I decided to subscribe to Floatplane club. But in checkout Paypal requires me to fill in a credit card.
This is because Floatplane club is an automatically renewing subscription. The point is that I am Europian and I do not have a credit card.
That's because we have other payment systems and to make a credit card for just this is not something I like to do. I am using Paypal hardly ones a month already.

Is it possible to create a yearly subscription to Floatplane Club that does not automatically renew, but sends an email two weeks before the term ends asking you to pay for a year again?  
Usually, I adapt to foreign systems because that is how it works, but I do not feel like adding a third payment system just for this one subscription. That is because it complicates stuff.

I believe this makes the Floatplane Club more accessible and that is a good thing, right?

Edit: Fixed spelling/grammar error.

Could I know why you even have paypal at all if you didn't add a credit card link to it? I mean, the entire meaning of Paypal is to use your card while keeping it's information hidden. You can use rechargable cards as well instead of directly bank-account linked ones.

17 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Could I know why you even have paypal at all if you didn't add a credit card link to it? I mean, the entire meaning of Paypal is to use your card while keeping it's information hidden. You can use rechargable cards as well instead of directly bank-account linked ones.

Europian payment systems are mostly only used/accepted in Europe. The only company that I am aware of that accepts Europian payment systems but is not from Europe is Alibaba/Aliexpress. For that reason, I have Paypal, a system that is accepted by companies that operate outside of Europe but accepts Europian payment systems itself. The rare moments I buy from a company that does not accept Europian payment systems, I have to transfer that money to Paypal first and then pay through Paypal. Paypal just acts as a "converter" here. So there is nothing linked to my Paypal account.

Update:

Maybe to explain why I really do not want to have a credit card:
When you are buying a house, you usually have to take on a mortgage. The amount of money you loan depends on how large of a payment risk you are.
When you own a credit card, yes just owning one, you are seen as a larger risk, and therefore being able to loan a lot less money.
So that credit card must be really beneficial before I take one because it makes it more difficult for me to buy a house.

6 minutes ago, Arthurvs said:

Europian payment systems are mostly only used/accepted in Europe. The only company that I am aware of that accepts Europian payment systems but is not from Europe is Alibaba/Aliexpress. For that reason, I have Paypal, a system that is accepted by companies that operate outside of Europe but accepts Europian payment systems itself. The rare moments I buy from a company that does not accept Europian payment systems, I have to transfer that money to Paypal first and then pay through Paypal. Paypal just acts as a "converter" here. So there is nothing linked to my Paypal account.

This is news to me. I'm in the UK but would have thought all of our financial systems are almost in tandem with mainland Europe. You're saying the main payment systems in Europe aren't VISA and MasterCard?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

4 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

This is news to me. I'm in the UK but would have thought all of our financial systems are almost in tandem with mainland Europe. You're saying the main payment systems in Europe aren't VISA and MasterCard?

I do not own a VISA or MasterCard. So apparently no. Actually, I do not know how much Europian countries support the system I am using (I am from the Netherlands), I just know that practically every Europian company, that I have bought from, supports it although I have never bought anything from the UK because of shipping costs.

Just now, Arthurvs said:

I do not own a VISA or MasterCard. So apparently no. Actually, I do not know how much Europian countries support the system I am using (I am from the Netherlands), I just know that practically every Europian company supports it although I have never bought anything from the UK because of shipping costs.

What exactly is this system which you can't use with Floatplane club?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Just now, Ezzy-525 said:

What exactly is this system which you can't use with Floatplane club?

When I am buying something online, I use a system called "ideal" (it's a stupid name). When I am in the Supermarket, I just pay with my bank card (swipe and enter pin number). Both the systems are bound by strict rules and must be provided by the banks operating in my country otherwise, you are not allowed to start a bank here. Because the bank is the one responsible for their part of the system, the bank also is responsible for its security. Because of that, the law here can say to banks that is partially their responsibility when someone's money gets stolen and they actually have to prove it's not their fault. It also gives a few other benefits that protect the consumer, but this is what I know from the top of my head.

The point is, Paypal for me, is an international wallet that is filled manually so it can't guarantee to contain money when a renewal subscription is due.

9 minutes ago, Arthurvs said:

When I am buying something online, I use a system called "ideal" (it's a stupid name). When I am in the Supermarket, I just pay with my bank card (swipe and enter pin number). Both the systems are bound by strict rules and must be provided by the banks operating in my country otherwise, you are not allowed to start a bank here. Because the bank is the one responsible for their part of the system, the bank also is responsible for its security. Because of that, the law here can say to banks that is partially their responsibility when someone's money gets stolen and they actually have to prove it's not their fault. It also gives a few other benefits that protect the consumer, but this is what I know from the top of my head.

The point is, Paypal for me, is an international wallet that is filled manually so it can't guarantee to contain money when a renewal subscription is due.

So why not manually fill it this one time for the amount of funds needed for your Floatplane sub?

6 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

So why not manually fill it this one time for the amount of funds needed for your Floatplane sub?

That's what I usually do, but this is a renewal subscription so Paypal requires a credit card for that. So there is enough money in my wallet to pay for a year upfront, but Paypal wants some kind of guarantee that there will be money exactly one year down the road. 

My solution and request: a one-year nonrenewing subscription and if it's possible an email notification that the end of the subscription term is reached and that you have to pay again.
This is by the way how it usually works where I live. I only own one renewing subscription. Even my health insurance is paid up-front for a year and does not renew its self. 

*insert "shut up and take my money" meme here*

8 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Thank you for your interest in this topic by the way.

FYI, you don't need a credit card, but you can also use debit cards.

I'm unclear about this: What happens when you fill in your credit card details onto paypal?

Just now, Sneling said:

FYI, you don't need a credit card, but you can also use debit cards.

I'm unclear about this: What happens when you fill in your credit card details onto paypal?

I do not have a debit or credit card. This is another part of the world where having a credit card is not that common.

1 minute ago, Arthurvs said:

I do not have a debit or credit card. This is another part of the world where having a credit card is not that common.

Mate, how do you pay when you go to a shop? Which country do you live in? I'm also from europe, and I'd like to understand what's your problem to help.

Once we switch to the new Floatplane site, we will support payment methods other than PayPal, and we aren't able to add other methods at the moment. However, PayPal does support debit (bank) cards as well as credit cards.

HTTP/2 203

Just now, Sneling said:

Mate, how do you pay when you go to a shop? Which country do you live in? I'm also from europe, and I'd like to understand what's your problem to help.

When I am shopping online, I use a system called "Ideal" (It's a terrible name, but an easy and safe system). If I have to pay on a website that does not support that system (outside of Europe), I pay with Paypal. To get money onto PayPal I actually use Ideal to transfer that money manually to Paypal before paying.
I live in The Netherlands and I do not know how much europian countries support the Ideal system, I just know that every Europian store I know supports paying with it.

So far there was not trouble paying anywhere in the world by just using Paypal as a sort of "converter". The problem starts when its a renewal subscription because Paypal wants some kind of guarantee that there is money In a year from now. 

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

Once we switch to the new Floatplane site, we will support payment methods other than PayPal, and we aren't able to add other methods at the moment. However, PayPal does support debit (bank) cards as well as credit cards.

Then I sadly have to wait. Having a credit card, yes just having one, makes it harder here to loan money for a house. So a credit card or debit card it not an option.

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

Paypal is still a good system, you cant just make it non-renewal?

That's really disturbing. Maybe someone you know very well could lend you the credit card so that you subscribe, and then fix it to make sure no transactions are taken from it?

2 minutes ago, Sneling said:

That's really disturbing. Maybe someone you know very well could lend you the credit card so that you subscribe, and then fix it to make sure no transactions are taken from it?

The only person I know that has a credit card is an old teacher of mine. Seriously, from at least 50 people, friend family, there is no-one I know of that owns one.

Culture shock ;)

You mentioned "When I am in the Supermarket, I just pay with my bank card (swipe and enter pin number)."

Can this card not be linked to PayPal the same way my debit card links to my PayPal?

Just now, Ezzy-525 said:

You mentioned "When I am in the Supermarket, I just pay with my bank card (swipe and enter pin number)."

Can this card not be linked to PayPal the same way my debit card links to my PayPal?

Yes, it can, but if you do so, you are giving up all your rights on refunds when your money gets stolen because you linked a Payment system that is not controlled by the bank itself to your bank account. You also lose some other consumer rights, but I do not know these from the top of my head.

2 minutes ago, Arthurvs said:

Yes, it can, but if you do so, you are giving up all your rights on refunds when your money gets stolen because you linked a Payment system that is not controlled by the bank itself to your bank account. You also lose some other consumer rights, but I do not know these from the top of my head.

That's a shame. I guess for now you'll have to wait until FPC takes other forms of payment. 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

I just blackmailed Linus with this, and he gave me a subscription for free:

I am not going to Blackmail Linus for a number of reasons:

1. The guy works hard.
2. The guy works hard.
3. The guy works hard.
4. Although I am a student, in this case, I can afford it from my Birthday money.
5. I will always fight for fair things in life... and blackmailing is not fair!

Just now, Arthurvs said:

I am not going to Blackmail Linus for a number of reasons:

1. The guy works hard.
2. The guy works hard.
3. The guy works hard.
4. Although I am a student, in this case, I can afford it from my Birthday money.
5. I will always fight for fair things in life... and blackmailing is not fair!

Dude, it was a joke. Chill out. 9_9

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440