Ryzen 7 1700 Overclocking Help

So, I'm having an issue with stability. Sometimes my computer will crash randomly. It happens randomly and rarely but enough that I'm worried that it might happen during something important. I've tested my overclock (3.9 GHz) with AIDA64, OCCT, CPU Z bench and stress test, performance test, cinebench r15, and 4 hours of Prime95 twice. But it still happens, especially when I'm recording and this is sometimes. I've also monitored temps [30~40 C during idle and peaks at 60C (have yet to see it go above 60 even when rendering with premiere pro)]. It's also never at 100% load except during synthetic tests. In fact, it never really goes above 70% load. My CPU's usually around 40~50% when recording. Is there something I'm doing wrong with my overclock settings? *refer to image below*. I've also been trying to get it to stabilize at 4.0 GHz.... with no success. Won't even last a second on prime95 with 1.45V. I would really appreciate help with my current settings but if you guys can help me with more overclocking that would really be amazing. xD. 

Build:

Motherboard: Ga-ax370-gaming k7

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

CPU Fan: Noctua NH-D15

Ram: 16 GB (2x8) Ballistix Sport LT

OS drive: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB PCIe NVMe M.2

GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GEForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition

PSU: Corsair RM750x

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition

Case fans: 4x PH-F200SP (110.1 CFM     |     850 +/- 250 RPM)

EasyTune.png

Edited by Rampakslue

It may simply be you're at the limits of your CPU. Also try Asus Realbench as a stress test, an hour or so I find helps uncover stability more so than Prime95 or Aida64.

There's a small chance it might not be the CPU but the memory interface or otherwise. Maybe do a memtest also?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

What would you recommend for a memory test? and how do I also get my ram to stay stable at 3200MHz? or even 2666 or 2999 b/c I always seem to have problems when it's overclocked above stock even with higher voltages.

memtest86 for ram. Make a boot device outside Windows. Prime95 with a large amount of ram allocated is 2nd best. It stresses the memory controller perhaps more than the ram itself.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Okay, so i've been testing with asus realbench and it keeps crashing. I even upped the voltage to 1.43V after which it crashed again. Is there a temperature limit to the 1700'? because it seemed that each time the temp approached 70 C before crashing. and should I risk upping the voltage to 1.45V? is that a safe long term (at least 3~4 years) voltage?

10 hours ago, Rampakslue said:

Okay, so i've been testing with asus realbench and it keeps crashing. I even upped the voltage to 1.43V after which it crashed again. Is there a temperature limit to the 1700'? because it seemed that each time the temp approached 70 C before crashing. and should I risk upping the voltage to 1.45V? is that a safe long term (at least 3~4 years) voltage?

That's starting to get a bit high on the voltage, and probably not exactly recommended for a longer term as it can have the potential to weaken the lifespan of the CPU. I'd check to be sure you are on the latest UEFI/BIOS and check to be sure it's not something else, like your RAM. If you can rule everything else out, you may have really gotten a chip that won't overclock as far as others. It sucks, but I'd check to see.

12 hours ago, Rampakslue said:

First of all reset bios to factory settings stop using that application and set ram to the profile it should be set on which should be stated on packaging. 

Do NO overclock on the 1700 nothing leave all settings alone first make sure your memory is stable run MEMTEST in windows or boot let it go to 1000% coverage if it shows errors that is where the stability is from. If that happens in the BIOS up SOC voltage to 1.05V and DDR4 voltage to 1.4V if that fails increase SOC to 1.1V but don't go above 1.2V on SOC. 

Once you got your memory stable at 1000% coverage 400% minimum using memtest then you can start overclocking your CPU. Ryzen is very picky about ram even with the latest v1.0.0.6 AGESA. With that said make sure you are on the latest BIOS before even doing anything with ryzen. 

Now once that is all done and it needs to be done first you can go on and start overclocking Ryzen. First i recommend seeing what you can get with 1.2V-1.3V-1.4V each setting i would not go above 1.425V ever as that is the limit Amd said with 1.4V being even better. 

Thanks, I'm going to go back and try incremental voltage increases after resetting. Oh, and I don't use Easytuner, I just had it up to show my settings

19 minutes ago, Rampakslue said:

Thanks, I'm going to go back and try incremental voltage increases after resetting. Oh, and I don't use Easytuner, I just had it up to show my settings

Good just keep us informed,

My CPU for example does 1.1V 3.5Ghz just fine Then it needs 1.2V to go to 3.7Ghz and then 1.3V for 3.8Ghz(actually at 1.3V 3825Mhz right now). 

For stability after i make sure my ram is stable i use Cinebench R15 back to back 10 times then i move onto a movie encode using Handbrake H.264  which takes 40min or so if it passes i call that stable enough for me. Ryzen fails pretty easily when its not stable under my tests for example at 3850mhz my CPU will crash in just 15min or so in handbrake but i've been encoding movies all day at 3825mhz. 

Not having ram stable also makes a system generally feel slow and odd behaviors happen like chrome crashing or something. 

I'm trying to work on the Ram first b/c it has the least amount of options for OC. It refuses to stay stable at 3200MHz even with 1.45V, i'm gonna try 2933MHz rn @1.4V

Yeah give that a try also set SOC voltage to 1.1V at least 

Ah, I think I gotta give up on 3.9 GHz because during my fourth test, which it failed either way, the vcore creeped up to 1.45~1.47. I think I'm just gonna have to settle for 3.8 or 3.85 GHz. 

This link is my spreadsheet which i'm going to keep updating as I test. 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mbyfqec8hwws3SfwVRGqO5uUB7nC0JTJHaHiFZL8EPY/edit?usp=drivesdk

41 minutes ago, Rampakslue said:

Ah, I think I gotta give up on 3.9 GHz because during my fourth test, which it failed either way, the vcore creeped up to 1.45~1.47. I think I'm just gonna have to settle for 3.8 or 3.85 GHz. 

This link is my spreadsheet which i'm going to keep updating as I test. 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mbyfqec8hwws3SfwVRGqO5uUB7nC0JTJHaHiFZL8EPY/edit?usp=drivesdk

At stock settings are you able to pass in MEMTEST for 1000% coverage? 

CPU overclocks will not be stable if memory isn't. Some memory with Hynx chips like mine SUCK terribly with Ryzen i got lucky and pass at 2933mhz even though my ram is 3200. But i'm not stable at that to i hit 1.1V SOC and 1.4V on the Dram. 

Also you are on the latest BIOS right?

Lastly its your hardware but i really wouldn't go above 1.425V and don't worry at that voltage my 1700 can barely pass a few runs of CineBench at 4.0Ghz. 

However at this time i noticed i need 1.35V for 3.9Ghz. 

well, I didn't test my Ram with memtest. I did an hour of Prime95 with 12GB of Ram. custom test. could my ram be the problem?

Yes it can be but its always best to start their and then overclock with Ryzen. 

Just set it to run at night if you don't want to stay up for it to reach 1000% coverage. 

how long does It usually take? If it takes a long time, and I want to use my computer today, should I leave my system at 3.8GHz? I haven't tested it with ASUS realbench yet. Should I set everything to auto and set the multiplier to 37 (b/c 1700 supports 3.7GHz to XFR) and reset my ram back to stock (2400MHz) and then test the ram before I sleep?

34 minutes ago, Rampakslue said:

how long does It usually take? If it takes a long time, and I want to use my computer today, should I leave my system at 3.8GHz? I haven't tested it with ASUS realbench yet. Should I set everything to auto and set the multiplier to 37 (b/c 1700 supports 3.7GHz to XFR) and reset my ram back to stock (2400MHz) and then test the ram before I sleep?

Just wait to night time or something mine took 4 hours to get to 1000% coverage what you need to do is open 16 MEMTEST at once and set each one to 850MB of memory to be tested do this at your targeted memory speed that you want. 

Once that is done i'm confident that if it says no errors occurred you are fine.