US senate to ban Kaspersky products

NumLock21

A draft of the "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018" — which approves the budget and policies for US defensive projects — outlines a ban on the usage of Kaspersky Lab software products at DOD facilities under the explanation that the Russian antivirus vendor "might be vulnerable to Russian government influence."

US is concerned about Kaspersky products because the founder Eugene Kaspersky, was trained in the KGB, who worked as a Soviet intelligence officer in the Red Army. -_-

Looks like Washington DC needs a lot of aluminum!

17050217160195.jpg

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/senate-gets-ready-to-ban-kaspersky-products-as-fbi-interviews-companys-us-employees/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Good thing I dont use anything other than Windows Defender and MacOS! xD

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, pzspah said:

Which are both American products, dun-dun-dun!

xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Used to use Kaspersky on Win 7. Always BSOD for some reason while using it. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

I read somewhere that Kaspersky will let the US government to take a look at their source code. 

Kaspersky worked beautifully for me for a good half-decade, had one issue with it once upon a time where it kind of corrupted and treated Windows files as viruses, but otherwise, good but not as good as ESET Nod32 with Malwarebytes.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Good thing I dont use anything other than Windows Defender and MacOS!

raw.gif.dd745557548b2fcd886e2913dd407e86.gif

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

does it have automatic back door privileges for updating?

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

So, that means that everyone else is quite right in thinking the same thing about software from US based companies....

Of course!

U.S. Agencies Said to Swap Data With Thousands of Firms

Project Chess: How U.S. Snoops On Your Skype

Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

So basically, it'll be illegal to use Kaspersky here? I've been using it for 8 years with no problems, and still do.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

So basically, it'll be illegal to use Kaspersky here? I've been using it for 8 years with no problems, and still do.

Misleading title by OP.

outlines a ban on the usage of Kaspersky Lab software products at DOD facilities

Of course, it's much easier to simply ban one software vendor (when there are plenty of alternatives) than to sit down and try and work out if an actual threat exists.

From a financial view point this is a no brainer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

ESET Nod32 with Malwarebytes.

You are my favorite person of the day.

Also, not looking forward to all of the people coming in going "russians are hacking my computer. sell me mcafee!"

Third-party antivirus products typically make the OS more vulnerable.  They typically add a self signed certificate in order to use real-time scanning.  Malicious actors typically try to find flaws in these components to execute remote code.  Tavis Ormandy has done a couple of write-ups on the subject.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

12 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

US is concerned about Kaspersky products because the founder Eugene Kaspersky, was trained in the KGB, who worked as a Soviet intelligence officer in the Red Army. -_-

Looks like Washington DC needs a lot of aluminum!

I can't really say anything about that since it's quite speculative and I don't posses the credentials to properly refute or confirm the allegations but I'l say this, I trust a Russian company more who earned multiple positive reviews on their security products (I even bought a 1 year subscription) for the security of my computers rather than an American company in Redmond, WA who can't make up their minds and fragments their own platform under the pretense of security. 

Also, CEO Eugene Kaspersky responded to the allegations from his personal blog just right now. I encourage everyone to read it.

https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2017/06/30/keeping-cybersecurity-separate-from-geopolitics/

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

I've started using Kaspersky Lab it since 2011 and it saved my college thesis from being hidden by a nasty worm that Microsoft Security Essentials can't detect. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

So, that means that everyone else is quite right in thinking the same thing about software from US based companies....

And going even further: US companies actually produce quite a bit of hardware too so if the rest of the world was to use that mentality it would basically cripple the internet.

Note that Russia does this already: They already wanted to build their own processors iirc.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 6/30/2017 at 7:16 PM, pzspah said:

Which are both American products, dun-dun-dun!

While you are correct, let's be fair and realize that the Russian government probably has an equal amount of self interest.

Turns out, the more power you give a person, the more they will abuse it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs