WD Black sleep mode?

khazad

I'll ask this again because i didn't had any good response, also i've seen that many people have the same problem.

I've bought a new HDD WD Black, i wanted to move some files into it, so after a few hours of copy paste, i checked again and the drive wasn't anywhere, it didn't show on the Disc Manangement neither, so i restarted my pc and then it showd up again.

I use it as a secondary drive, i've been told that probably it went on sleep mode, but what i don't understand is that it wasn't on idle so it couldn't have go in sleep mode if it was still working.

Now i'm moving files into it again, and every hour i check the folders so it doesn't go to sleep mode. So if that's the problem, how can i turn off the sleep mode?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

34 minutes ago, khazad said:

I'll ask this again because i didn't had any good response, also i've seen that many people have the same problem.

I've bought a new HDD WD Black, i wanted to move some files into it, so after a few hours of copy paste, i checked again and the drive wasn't anywhere, it didn't show on the Disc Manangement neither, so i restarted my pc and then it showd up again.

I use it as a secondary drive, i've been told that probably it went on sleep mode, but what i don't understand is that it wasn't on idle so it couldn't have go in sleep mode if it was still working.

Now i'm moving files into it again, and every hour i check the folders so it doesn't go to sleep mode. So if that's the problem, how can i turn off the sleep mode?

hey ... looks like someone has the same problem i have ...

i use a 2.5" WD black as my games drive and another one as my files drive.

the games drive sometimes dissapears ... just like that ... no matter if it's idle or not.

i had games crash on me because of this.

restart the PC and everything is back to normal until it happens again. sometimes it does not happen for weeks or even months but i have seen it happen twice or even three times a day some days. somehow it has gotten better over time with the issue being less frequent now. 

my files drive, wich is the same 500 gb model as the games drive, does not have this issue ... 

does anyone know what exactly is causing this 

6 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

hey ... looks like someone has the same problem i have ...

i use a 2.5" WD black as my games drive and another one as my files drive.

the games drive sometimes dissapears ... just like that ... no matter if it's idle or not.

i had games crash on me because of this.

restart the PC and everything is back to normal until it happens again. sometimes it does not happen for weeks or even months but i have seen it happen twice or even three times a day some days. somehow it has gotten better over time with the issue being less frequent now. 

my files drive, wich is the same 500 gb model as the games drive, does not have this issue ... 

does anyone know what exactly is causing this 

I think it's because of the cables aren't quite well snuggled and it disappears. This is how i have it righ now, probably that's why it disappeared.

Uxetdr2.jpg

Try to snug it well, if it persist check your sata cable with a voltage tester and see if it works.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

11 hours ago, khazad said:

I think it's because of the cables aren't quite well snuggled and it disappears. This is how i have it righ now, probably that's why it disappeared.

Uxetdr2.jpg

Try to snug it well, if it persist check your sata cable with a voltage tester and see if it works.

cables are not the issue i'm arfraid ... i tried different cables and even different SATA ports. also tried different power connectors and even a different PSU