All Purpose HTPC (Budget friendly)

Hello,

I wanted to see what people thought of the HTPC build i've recently completed.  Obviously due to case i'm limited for certain graphics options; however this was something that the wife wanted to not be an eyesore so keep this in mind.

Reasons for building:

1. Replacement of the Blu-Ray drive that was beginning to die
  2. Multifunctional PC for browsing the internet, being a Plex server to host all of my media, and routing streaming services (Netflix/hulu/spotify, etc) through my 7.1 home theater amp.
  3. Occasional gaming in HD (1080P, with the ability to upgrade for 4k gaming at a later point if needed).
  4. Neat, organized and simple, not a big eyesore and small form factor case to blend in to A/V equipment.

My result is the following parts list from PCPartPicker:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/amorshc/saved/sPfRBm

While PCPartPicker shows a sticker cost of $1,300+USD, actual cost was nearing $550 (After MIR, discounts, etc.).

Here's the price breakdown 3 weeks after the i5-7600k was released to the market and retailers I purchased from:

• Intel Core i5-7600K $159.96 - Micro Center - Open Box
  • ASRock Z170m Extreme 4 $92.48 - NewEgg Open Box - $30 MIR = $62.48 Total (After MIR)
  • MSI GTX 1050 2GT LP $96 - Ebay - $20 MIR - $76 Total (After MIR)
  • SK Hynix SC300 $40.00 - Ebay
  • Corsair CX600M $40 - Ebay
  • LG UH12NS30 $35 - Ebay
  • Lian Li PC-C37B $65 - Local seller
  • Logitech K400 $19.99 - Fry's - Sale price
  • Artic Freezer 11LP $15.55 - Amazon Warehouse sale (Returned due to not performing correctly, defective)
  • Scythe Big Shuriken 2 RevB $22.40 - Amazon Sale (*Replaced the Artic Freezer 11LP, refund applied to this purchase) (Total cost was $6.85)
  • Patriot Extreme Viper Elite 8GB DDR4-3200Mhz kit $50.75 - Amazon Warehouse Deal (Ended up RMAing the memory, due to one stick being DOA), replacement from Patriot was the Patriot Viper 4 DDR4-3200Mhz as they were out of stock of the VE kits)

The Apevia fans below were included in my case, I already had Windows 10, the thermal paste and the 5TB external I purchased years ago, so I did not factor these into the actual cost.

Over all I don't think it's a half bad multifunctional PC that will allow me to play Blu-ray's, stream media both to and from the PC, and occasional gaming.  Any recommendations/upgrades anyone would suggest, I would love to hear the thoughts on this.  Also keep in mind that if I was going to change cases, I would want something smaller than the PC-C37 case while not being a "Tower"  It needs to be similar sized or smaller than a home theater amplifier or large boot shoe box.

I'll upload photos of this later as I don't have the PC build process with me.

4 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

You don't need a i5 7600k go with a pentium g4560 instead it'll do just fine

I'm curious of the reason you say this?  

Obviously as I mentioned, I already have purchased and built this PC.  But why would I want to go to a pentium G4560 especially since its only got 2 cores.

2 minutes ago, Amorshc said:

I'm curious of the reason you say this?  

Obviously as I mentioned, I already have purchased and built this PC.  But why would I want to go to a pentium G4560 especially since its only got 2 cores.

it's got 4 threads also this stuff doesnt require much power

24 minutes ago, Amorshc said:

Multifunctional PC for browsing the internet, being a Plex server to host all of my media, and routing streaming services (Netflix/hulu/spotify, etc) through my 7.1 home theater amp.

Should have clarified a little better.  In being a plex server - i'm also ripping my blu-rays and converting them to MKV files with makeMVK.  That would be more taxing on the pentium vs the i5.