Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ekin

[Updated with final Review] Vega FE Benchmarking by PCPER

Recommended Posts

Ugh I mean who cares, can we wait for RX proper card targeted at proper software and drivers. I get the early results is nice to see, but don't be impatient and calm down and wait to see RX Vega with proper clocks and cooling and definitely drivers.


Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Ugh I mean who cares, can we wait for RX proper card targeted at proper software and drivers. I get the early results is nice to see, but don't be impatient and calm down and wait to see RX Vega with proper clocks and cooling and definitely drivers.

Anyone who was holding out for Vega, they are the ones who care.

 

This is the exact same chip and memory that will launch with RX Vega. Thusly everything about this card will be the same as the RX Vega

 

The only things that will change are:

 

1: Drivers (And if AMD launched a professional card that is designed (as advertised) to be for creators who game and gamers who create without proper driver support... that would be both stupid and contemptuous towards those who are spending $1000 to $1500 for this card.)

 

2: clock speed: with an AIO water cooler they MIGHT see another 100-150 Mhz, AMD aimed for 1600Mhz, normal clocks are 1400-1500 Mhz on air so 1600-1700 seems resonable under water.

 

 

My Thoughts:

 

150Mhz more will not make this card a 1080Ti competitor, it will make it a 1080 competitor... which means it needs over a 30% performance increase from drivers alone or this card will not be a high end competitor.

 

This card feels like it should have been out 1 year ago but... I'm guessing that

1: AMD was having trouble hitting their desired clock speeds and

2: HBM2 is still a very questionable choice for this card, it's very expensive, doesn't have a speed benefit over GDDR5X and is also in short supply because of production difficulties.

 

HBM isnt a good feature if it limits your chip production, doesn't provide a performance benefit and increases your production costs when you're part of a company that is dealing with massive debt and the pure and simple need to just HAVE product available for people to buy.

 

disclosure: I own AMD stock, I do not own Nvidia stock (makes the last 12 months look like a dumb choice right?)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vega... ahh what a shame. For pro workloads it does ok. But for games it looks like big Polaris, not vega. And I doubt that what we saw was 680-690.

I bet it was the hbm that kept them back too long and made the pricing less aggressive. (Side note, goes to show how impressive gddr5x is) 

Also pcper does some top notch stuff. 


Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From my understanding, you can't just switch rasterization modes on the fly which would shows a massive issue in Vega's marketing and actual final architecture.


Main Gaming PC - i7 8700k 5GHz 1.375v - EVGA Hybrid 2080 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Corsair H115i - EVGA 3000MHz - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 512GB - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

 

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB

 

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jman629 said:

That's the thing though, if they devote themselves to mid range they will eventually fall behind. Cause what's high end now eventually trickles down to mid and then low end. They have to keeping shooting for the top. Right now Nvidia's on top of a mountain with a beer and a lawn chair working one handed while AMD is scraping and clawing trying to make it to the top.

Absolutely, every company has to aim to be the biggest and best.  Half my point is actually just that, it's just that AMD seem to be, for all intents and purposes, only managing the middle ground.  I know it's hard for them with such a restricted budget to manage better hardware sooner, but they could at least manage their PR and marketing at that end better.


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxxtraxx said:

This card feels like it should have been out 1 year ago but... I'm guessing that

1: AMD was having trouble hitting their desired clock speeds and

2: HBM2 is still a very questionable choice for this card, it's very expensive, doesn't have a speed benefit over GDDR5X and is also in short supply because of production difficulties.

 

HBM isnt a good feature if it limits your chip production, doesn't provide a performance benefit and increases your production costs when you're part of a company that is dealing with massive debt and the pure and simple need to just HAVE product available for people to buy.

 

disclosure: I own AMD stock, I do not own Nvidia stock (makes the last 12 months look like a dumb choice right?)

 

I think this is entirely HBM2 related. It was a gamble that blew up in their face. A year late to market, a core that is barely better than Fiji, and to make matters worse it has worse bandwidth than the Titan's GDDR5X at the moment. For all the shit Nvidia got about only putting HBM2 in the P100, it was clearly the right choice.

 

19 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Absolutely, every company has to aim to be the biggest and best.  Half my point is actually just that, it's just that AMD seem to be, for all intents and purposes, only managing the middle ground.  I know it's hard for them with such a restricted budget to manage better hardware sooner, but they could at least manage their PR and marketing at that end better.

Their marketing is fucking everywhere. I've commented a lot about how their marketing is overwhelmingly negative compared to their competition. When Nvidia have a new product all of their slides are about how much of a performance gain they have against their old stuff -- "look how good we are". AMD's marketing is always a direct comparison with their competition. Whether it be Ryzen against the 6900k, or Fiji against the 980 Ti.

 

Then there's their names. "EPYC" for professional servers and workstations, seriously!? Then there's the out and out smoke and mirrors. Under-clocking Intel by 1 GHz below its boost to hide the fact that IPC is only half of the equation -- and they don't have the other half, "overclockers dream", "FineWine (aka shit launch drivers)". The straight numbers games (all of the GHz for Bulldozer, "eight" "cores", again for Bulldozer, Hawaii extreme memory bandwidth, ignoring the complete lack of compression that makes this necessary, 390X "all of the vram, we NEED 8GB in 2014", which blew up in their face when they then tried to sell a Fury X with only 4. But you didn't need much because HBM! Which was a lie, as it happened, bandwidth does not make up for amount when you need amount). They have good products, putting Threadripper (again for shite names) across multiple dies is brilliant, but holy crap they are a difficult company to like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Anyone who was holding out for Vega, they are the ones who care.

 

This is the exact same chip and memory that will launch with RX Vega. Thusly everything about this card will be the same as the RX Vega

 

The only things that will change are:

 

1: Drivers (And if AMD launched a professional card that is designed (as advertised) to be for creators who game and gamers who create without proper driver support... that would be both stupid and contemptuous towards those who are spending $1000 to $1500 for this card.)

 

2: clock speed: with an AIO water cooler they MIGHT see another 100-150 Mhz, AMD aimed for 1600Mhz, normal clocks are 1400-1500 Mhz on air so 1600-1700 seems resonable under water.

 

 

My Thoughts:

 

150Mhz more will not make this card a 1080Ti competitor, it will make it a 1080 competitor... which means it needs over a 30% performance increase from drivers alone or this card will not be a high end competitor.

 

This card feels like it should have been out 1 year ago but... I'm guessing that

1: AMD was having trouble hitting their desired clock speeds and

2: HBM2 is still a very questionable choice for this card, it's very expensive, doesn't have a speed benefit over GDDR5X and is also in short supply because of production difficulties.

 

HBM isnt a good feature if it limits your chip production, doesn't provide a performance benefit and increases your production costs when you're part of a company that is dealing with massive debt and the pure and simple need to just HAVE product available for people to buy.

 

disclosure: I own AMD stock, I do not own Nvidia stock (makes the last 12 months look like a dumb choice right?)

 

I'm holding out for Vega myself too. 

 

Proper drivers can be big difference, it's not focused gaming card but just for creators to be able to test it and all not really pushing performance on that part.
As far as clocks we've yet to see with RX Vega though.

 

But compared to Fury X it should be significantly faster though, can't see it be just slightly or worse as far as per stream processor but higher clocks. Doesn't make sense really.

Custom board partners already have the GPU that will end up RX Vega so we just need to wait bit more. AMD did said that drivers for it do need extra time due to architecture.

 

I'm in no rush of an upgrade, but definitely plan soon though. I'm interested to see it.


Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites

Soo... Most likely Vega will be meh. Maybe the actual RX cards'll do better, but I'm doubting it. So, unless nothing changes it looks like my upcoming system will be a 1700x and gtx 1070. Well, if the fucking mining prices ever come down...


Current Rig

i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz 1.4v - EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 @ 1500mhz - 16GB Hyper x Fury 1866 - Asus p8z77-v lk (1$) - 250GB SSD - 2x1TB HDD storage - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

 

FX 8320 Rig

FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB - 16GB RAM - 250GB SSD - CM 212 EVO - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - EVGA 500w Bronze - CM Elite 430 Black

 

Xeon Rig

Xeon e3 1240 @3.3ghz - EVGA GTX 670 - 16GB RAM - 250GB SSD - CM Hyper T2 - Seasonic 500w Bronze- Rosewill Micro ATX

 

Nahelem Rig

i7 860 @ 3.7ghz - 8GB DDR3 - GTX 670 - 250GB SSD

 

And of course, my q6600 rig

q6600 @ 3.4ghz 1.45v - Zalman copper cooler - 8GB DDR2 - GTX 560ti - 250GB SSD

 

Server 1: FX 6100 @ 3.8ghz - 12GB DDR3

Server 2 - q6700 @ 3.2ghz - 8GB DDR3

PFSense router: Core 2 Duo @3.16ghz - 4GB DDR3 - 64GB SSD - 16 port tplink gigabit switch

Openmediavault: 4TB - 4GB DDR2 - q6600

 

The 5$ Laptop (Asus r510c) (+60$ worth of upgrades)

Core i5 i5-3337U 1.8ghz (2.5ghz) - 240gb SSD - 320gb WD Black - 8GB DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

 

HTPC - Wolf In Sheep's Clothing (Crappy HP OEM SFF case and PSU from 2009)

AMD A8 6800k @4.2ghz - GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 - 8GB DDR3 - 250GB SP SSD - Some Asus FM2+ motherboard

 

Bedroom HTPC - The 939 Monster

AMD Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.8ghz - HD 3850 256mb - 4GB DDR400 - 80GB WD Blue IDE - SOCKET 939 BITCHES

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Soo... Most likely Vega will be meh. Maybe the actual RX cards'll do better, but I'm doubting it. So, unless nothing changes it looks like my upcoming system will be a 1700x and gtx 1070. Well, if the fucking mining prices ever come down...

they will soon, as ethereum is going away from gpu mining

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Valentyn said:

The problem with AMD lying is that they did so directly to investors during earnings calls and shareholder meetings. That'll get them in big legal trouble,

Although seeing major performance features like tiled rasterization not even working it looks like  major firmware and driver issues.

 

Still so many unknowns. We've not even seen a Frontier Edition tear down, or even an architectural break down in detail like with other GPU launches.

This just in!  AMD and Nvidia have never lied!  I don't trust either of them, and they both seem to use shady business practices.  However, I have to pick one or the other because the only other competition is *shudders* intel integrated*.


Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  EKWB EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (Black) with Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack+4x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 Reds added | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |



Bifröst(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Soo... Most likely Vega will be meh. Maybe the actual RX cards'll do better, but I'm doubting it. So, unless nothing changes it looks like my upcoming system will be a 1700x and gtx 1070. Well, if the fucking mining prices ever come down...

Raja said the RX ones will be faster, but that could be anywhere on the map like 1%.


Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  EKWB EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (Black) with Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack+4x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 Reds added | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |



Bifröst(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Raja said the RX ones will be faster, but that could be anywhere on the map like 1%.

they have a full month to focus on gaming drivers, this is the biggest chance in the architecture since gcn was born, there will be great improvements

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

they have a full month to focus on gaming drivers, this is the biggest chance in the architecture since gcn was born, there will be great improvements

 

Well, the thing is RX will have just gaming drivers meaning it will have better support.  This card, on the other hand, needs really weird driver support because it's not just a gaming card yet a workstation one too.  Which is most likely why this would have performance issues on that end.


Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  EKWB EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (Black) with Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack+4x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 Reds added | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |



Bifröst(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand their emphasis on gaming. It's like they're trying amd to look as bad as possible. The card fares very well against quadros and destroy the Titan in most tasks except rendering with pipeline similar to renderer closet gaming ones. That was a wrong call for amd to make to release it in this state since now everyone think they have bad cards overall, when there are still odd things to understand. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

MSI Marketing Director (The guy who made the comment about power draw) says "please don't compare this card too much with RX Vega"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...ng_director_dont_compare_vega_fe_too/djmlkk3/
https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/51759395#51759395

AMD staff on twitter: "I think it’s premature to worry about a product’s gaming performance by judging a different product NOT optimized for gaming."
 

 



Well people where hoping that AMD would say something. I guess this is close enough, but no official statement yet.


5820K 4.0GHz | NH D15S | 32 GB RAM | GTX 580 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been pretty disappointed with Vega and the setbacks, if we had this card last year man would it have been good, probably not incredible but would still put them somewhere in the market. Though im still going to buy RX Vega, because I'm sick of all my Blue Green Builds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if it gets a 15% performance boost with optimized drivers, it will be able to match the 1080. So IMO, Vega is too little too late


CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

 

Mice: Logitech G Pro Wireless (main), Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Even if it gets a 15% performance boost with optimized drivers, it will be able to match the 1080. So IMO, Vega is too little too late

That's just drivers, tiled rasterization is still not working either. The "magic sauce" that helped Maxwell slap Kepler.

It's a huge thing for AMD, and can really help performance; yet nothing's working. No one even tested to see if HBCC or the discard accelerators are working either.

You know me, rather open minded for tech, but even I'm a bit jaded at this launch. AMD staying silent on it all bar one marketing dude on twitter doesn't help in the slightest. PcPer haven't even heard back from them about those major features either. I doubt they will over the weekend as well.

This is the type of shambles that should get people their walking papers.


5820K 4.0GHz | NH D15S | 32 GB RAM | GTX 580 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This thing is straight up broken. Nothing else to say. The performance does not at all match the specifications. It's barely faster than a Fury X while having 60% higher clock speeds, 4 times the memory, the biggest architecture change since GCN (7000 series) with a host of new IP blocks including tiled rasterization (which appears to not work hence broken).

 

AMD dropped the ball. Even if firmware and drivers are a complete mess, it doesn't excuse this at all. You don't launch a broken product. Ryzen worked but had some kinks but otherwise performed admirable. This is a shit show.

 

I hope the software just isn't ready to make the card function correctly (not just talking about gaming performance) and that further down the line it actually starts showing the performance it's supposed to and we're not talking just 10-15% off the mark like the RX 480 was at launch.

 

But perhaps the silicon itself is broken but that would be a setback that AMD will have, not a hard time, but an impossible time recovering from within the next couple of years. It is clear that their budget and resources are spread too thin. They don't have the resources to simultaneously do CPU and GPU to their full extent to compete properly so it ends up favoring one or the other. First it was GPUs propping up the company during the Bulldozer days and now it seems they'll have to use Ryzen to make the company stay afloat while using their semi-custom business to make the ledgers look good as they've done for years. Always one part of the company falling behind due to financial constraints.

 

An embarrassing launch. And the radio silence doesn't help. They need to at least show some hard numbers coming from internal testing on the RX Vega that shows a different picture or they might as well hand Nvidia the keys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep seeing that HBM 2 was not the right choice or ill advised, AMD dose not have Nvidia R&D budget. They have to make single die that covers Consumer/PRO Consumer/Enterprise. Nvidia on the other hand can make multiple of dies to cover multiple segments of the market. HBM2 is must  now days when it comes to machine learning and that sorts of workloads.


Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2017 at 11:28 AM, xAcid9 said:

Workstation use FirePro card, no? Vega FirePro is coming as well.

 

This Vega FE is similar to Nvidia Titan imo.

I know

Titan is a workstation/gaming card.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3DOSH said:

I keep seeing that HBM 2 was not the right choice or ill advised, AMD dose not have Nvidia R&D budget. They have to make single die that covers Consumer/PRO Consumer/Enterprise. Nvidia on the other hand can make multiple of dies to cover multiple segments of the market. HBM2 is must  now days when it comes to machine learning and that sorts of workloads.

You're talking as if Nvidia don't reuse the same die as well though. There are Quadros and Teslas that use P102 and 104, just like the GeForce Cards. Only the flagship P100 and V100 haven't seen a gaming variant and that's because they are the halo products. Unless you're Pixar or Elon Musk, you're not buying those.

 

There is a Radeon Pro Duo using the same Polaris GPU in the RX 580. Polaris has multiple dies. The rumours are that Vega will have multiple dies. I don't buy this argument at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2017 at 4:01 PM, Maxxtraxx said:

Name one person that said that very thing about any of the Titan X cards when they came out... They're both "workstation" cards and the Titan X has (for all that matters) Identical performance to the GTX 1080Ti. Will RX Vega not have the same exact chip in it as the FE?

Hi there

I'm mostly talking about drivers, they spent a lot of time on this thing and if it's the performance that it has for that price , then VEGA is a big FAIL!!! but i don't think so, we should wait and see how RX Vega performs in games but again as i said , it seems to be a driver problem

Have a nice day

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×