Steam Link Latency/Speed

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

First thing I would try is plugging directly into the router and testing. If the problem goes away, it's almost certainly the powerline adaptors. I'd also advise checking your powerline adaptor's port speed. An awful lot of them advertise 500Mbps or similar bandwidth but only actually use a 100Mbps port. 

I've just received and set up my shiny new Steam Link because it was on sale.

My PC is in my room, and my router is downstairs.

My PC is wired to my router via Powerline, and steam link is Ethernet directly to the router.

Except for the Powerline adaptor (which is 500Mb/s), everything in the chain is gigabit.

I'm experiencing a lot of dropouts and latency issues with the steam link when using to play Dirt 3 (all I've tested so far).

I'm using the router supplied by my ISP (BT home hub 5).

My question is really, what can I do to improve performance?

My initial thought was get a new router, but I wanted to check this is probably the source of the issue, before I go shelling a load of money on a new router.

Anyone experienced anything similar on the home hub 5 and found a new router solved their problem?

Thanks!

First thing I would try is plugging directly into the router and testing. If the problem goes away, it's almost certainly the powerline adaptors. I'd also advise checking your powerline adaptor's port speed. An awful lot of them advertise 500Mbps or similar bandwidth but only actually use a 100Mbps port. 

Steam link should really be 100% wired, and going off what you're saying, it seems it isn't. Mine is fully wired and is fine, so all I can recommend is you get a long Ethernet cable and run it downstairs. You can get them pretty cheap. Think I got a 20m one for about £6.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

8 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

Steam link should really be 100% wired, and going off what you're saying, it seems it isn't. Mine is fully wired and is fine, so all I can recommend is you get a long Ethernet cable and run it downstairs. You can get them pretty cheap. Think I got a 20m one for about £6.

It is 100% wired, lol.

Long Ethernet cable isn't an option, as my rooms on the third floor and the router is downstairs.

Can't move the router because it's near the adsl port, can't move my room becuase it's a room ?

8 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Might have a look into my power line adapters before changing the router then. 

Don't have an easy way of plugging my pc into the router and testing, although I could try my dad's laptop... 

I'll do that later and report back. 

New powerline adapters should be cheaper than a new router so this doesn't sound all that bad. 

Any recommendations on good ones? 

14 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Turns out you're right, it's a 500Mbps adapter with a 100Mbps port... not really sure how this is legal, but looks like time for an upgrade!

Thanks for your help :)

10 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

It is 100% wired, lol.

Long Ethernet cable isn't an option, as my rooms on the third floor and the router is downstairs.

Can't move the router because it's near the adsl port, can't move my room becuase it's a room ?

Might have a look into my power line adapters before changing the router then. 

Don't have an easy way of plugging my pc into the router and testing, although I could try my dad's laptop... 

I'll do that later and report back. 

New powerline adapters should be cheaper than a new router so this doesn't sound all that bad. 

Any recommendations on good ones? 

Sorry mate, I misread your post then. Seems like you may have found the cause of the problem though. I take it everything was fine when you plugged it directly in to the router. Hopefully you get it sorted anyway.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

18 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

Sorry mate, I misread your post then. Seems like you may have found the cause of the problem though. I take it everything was fine when you plugged it directly in to the router. Hopefully you get it sorted anyway.

No worries mate.

Hopefully, I haven't actually tested it yet but plan to today.

I'll post back here with results :)

On 30/06/2017 at 4:08 PM, leelaa14 said:

On 29/06/2017 at 9:05 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

Bought new powerline adaptors yesterday, made sure I got ones with a Gigabit port.

Now working wonderfully with very few frame drops and much better latency.

Thanks very much guys :)

Saved me wasting money on a new router :D

1 hour ago, rhyseyness said:

Bought new powerline adaptors yesterday, made sure I got ones with a Gigabit port.

Good to know. 

A lot of consumer networking equipment has a load of BS marketing, which sucks. 

2 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

Very nice, I run my steam link at 720p in the streaming settings which helps with the latency by a huge amount. I sit about 2-3m back though so it's not as noticeable in the resolution change.