Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miguel552

What to buy with current prices...

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey everyone, so I'm finishing my PC and right before I could buy a GPU, the prices went up. So I'm wondering on what to do, which should I buy. Here's the rest of my specs. Thanks everyone in advanced.

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus - Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($116.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY - CS1311 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.44 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.49 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer - XB240H ABPR 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor 
Total: $1034.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-29 13:02 EDT-0400

Link to post
Share on other sites

what gpu were you looking at? 1080's are still kind of the same price as they used to be


~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

what gpu were you looking at? 1080's are still kind of the same price as they used to be

Well, I was looking into the 1070, since I only have a 1080p 144Hz monitor, and they were like $300. With the price now for them, I might as well get a 1080, but I can't really afford that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Miguel552 said:

Well, I was looking into the 1070, since I only have a 1080p 144Hz monitor, and they were like $300. With the price now for them, I might as well get a 1080, but I can't really afford that.

only thing you can do is wait. if you need the pc now for work or college or so, you can buy it now and use the igpu. otherwise i'd wait till prices drop down or search for a used gpu


~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

only thing you can do is wait. if you need the pc now for work or college or so, you can buy it now and use the igpu. otherwise i'd wait till prices drop down or search for a used gpu

I already have everything built in, except RAM and GPU, I could maybe buy a 1080 but with only a 1080p monitor, I think it would be a waste of money, wouldn't it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

I already have everything built in, except RAM and GPU, I could maybe buy a 1080 but with only a 1080p monitor, I think it would be a waste of money, wouldn't it?

not in the long term ... it will take longer before you need to upgrade it again

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

not in the long term ... it will take longer before you need to upgrade it again

That's true.

Link to post
Share on other sites

could go used 980 ti on eBay. would also recommend getting the 7700k instead of 6700k. 

 

The evo 212 will probably limit your overclock and I would recommend going corsair h100i instead. Also get a Samsung m.2 ssd instead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Miguel552 said:

Well, I was looking into the 1070, since I only have a 1080p 144Hz monitor, and they were like $300. With the price now for them, I might as well get a 1080, but I can't really afford that.

I'm in the same boat. I was going to buy a 1070 and then prices skyrocketed, so I bought a 1080. Who knows how long prices will stay inflated.

 

I recommend checking out Kinguin.com for a Windows 10 OEM key. I got mine for $36. That $50 can go somewhere else, or into your pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya 1080 for sure. It and the lower end cards are the only ones not affected by the whole mining thing. RIP 1060, 1070. While I am on the topic does anyone know what people are doin going out and buying mass numbers of 1060s for mining. You can't sli them. Is sli unnesccary because I know the gpus don't actualy push any frames mining

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adata SU800 525GB SSD is currently on sale on Newegg for $140. It's a few bucks cheaper for some more storage space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kd4lif3 said:

Ya 1080 for sure. It and the lower end cards are the only ones not affected by the whole mining thing. RIP 1060, 1070. While I am on the topic does anyone know what people are doin going out and buying mass numbers of 1060s for mining. You can't sli them. Is sli unnesccary because I know the gpus don't actualy push any frames mining

From what I understand, they're all used separately not in SLI

Link to post
Share on other sites

SLI is not required for mining, folding, nor boincing.


Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X, 5960X J Batch

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 1070 Hybrid, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

 

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TomR said:

How is 30% more money for 27% more performance not worth it, especially when you're comparing used vs. new?

GTX 1080 will yield roughly the same performance as the 980 Ti (both overclocked of course). Only the 1080 Ti is better than the 980 Ti. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bomerr said:

GTX 1080 will yield roughly the same performance as the 980 Ti. 

No, it won't.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1070 is actually significantly better in mining than the 1080.

 

source:

 

The cheapest 1070 you can actually find in stock on pacpartpicker is an EVGA Hybrid for $490 on newegg. For $10 more you could have an MSI Duke GTX 1080 from newegg. xD

 

You're just going to have to spend $500 on a 1080 or wait out the ether bubble. Luckily the 1080 sucks at mining when compared to the 1070, so maybe it won't go up much.


My system

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  Board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-2400 CAS 11  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD0: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM

HDD1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM  HDD2: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro  PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bomerr said:

GTX 1080 will yield roughly the same performance as the 980 Ti (both overclocked of course). Only the 1080 Ti is better than the 980 Ti. 

Sounds like something a 980ti owner would say and not something based on fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Just to clarify, all those parts I already have, I've been building for a couple of months now.

7 hours ago, bomerr said:

could go used 980 ti on eBay. would also recommend getting the 7700k instead of 6700k. 

 

The evo 212 will probably limit your overclock and I would recommend going corsair h100i instead. Also get a Samsung m.2 ssd instead. 

7 hours ago, ZenMonkey said:

I'm in the same boat. I was going to buy a 1070 and then prices skyrocketed, so I bought a 1080. Who knows how long prices will stay inflated.

 

I recommend checking out Kinguin.com for a Windows 10 OEM key. I got mine for $36. That $50 can go somewhere else, or into your pocket.

I always get my Windows keys this way.

7 hours ago, ZenMonkey said:

Adata SU800 525GB SSD is currently on sale on Newegg for $140. It's a few bucks cheaper for some more storage space.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Miguel552 said:

Well, I was looking into the 1070, since I only have a 1080p 144Hz monitor, and they were like $300. With the price now for them, I might as well get a 1080, but I can't really afford that.

I've never seen a 1070 for $300, even before the mining spike. More like $380ish and $350ish with price cuts on specific models. 


SNOWHEART - laptop

Model: TRACER III 17R XTREME VR 800 || CPU: Intel i7-8750H  || RAM: HyperX Impact 16GB || GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 || Storage: Intel 660P 512GB +  AData SX8200 1TB + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB || Display: 1920x1080p 144hz

 

 

PRISIMHEART 2.0 - desktop

Case: FD Meshify C Mini || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Scythe Choten TUF edition || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

 

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Elite || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Steelseries RIval 650 || Monitor: HP Omen 32

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

imo shoot for 1080 [non-ti if you need to save abit]... or if you can find a very good 1080ti below 1150aud equiv or close then shoot for that...

primarily 1070 is not worth it [6-9 days ago i got an asus strix 1080 11gbps @ 750aud... now the 1070 is literally just above at 799aud which is absurd imo given so or more ... [I am referring to asus as an example in this scenario, surely there are lower ones but looking at the big picture 1070 raised by 170aud from what i've seen [629>799]]]

 

kinda ridiculous but then again, you do want the best bang for your buck so imo i'd say go for a 1080... or 1080ti if u can stretchit :)


CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×