Replacing thermal paste on MSI R9 280 (Twin Frozr)

JorenBus

So my R9 280 has been getting pretty hot lately (82°C) and quite noisy.

I have pretty good airflow in my case (NZXT S340) with 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans.

There's pretty much no dust anywhere in my case, including fan filters.

I would like to replace the thermal paste on my GPU to see if it makes any difference in temperatures.

I know it's usually not very hard to do this (just unscrew everything and that's it), but I'm wondering how this process will go on this particular card.

Anyone have any experience with this?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

I've personally done this on a 2nd hand R9 290 Twin Frozr card in an attempt to resurrect it from a previous heat-related death (I took possession of it after buying it as 'dead' off of a client). I unfortunately do not have pictures that i can recall of the inside of the card but there was nothing tricky in the design of the card that would break or be damaged if done in any different manner from that of a regular GTX or AMD cards. 
Simply unscrew all visible screws; Undo the fan connector from the header; and give a little tug to get the heatsink+fans off.

2 hours ago, Flashie said:

I've personally done this on a 2nd hand R9 290 Twin Frozr card in an attempt to resurrect it from a previous heat-related death (I took possession of it after buying it as 'dead' off of a client). I unfortunately do not have pictures that i can recall of the inside of the card but there was nothing tricky in the design of the card that would break or be damaged if done in any different manner from that of a regular GTX or AMD cards. 
Simply unscrew all visible screws; Undo the fan connector from the header; and give a little tug to get the heatsink+fans off.

Allright seems doable, do you think this will have a positive impact on my temperatures?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Just now, JorenBus said:

Allright seems doable, do you think this will have a positive impact on my temperatures?

The chances are likely it would if your cards been running hot for a while already. Just make use of a reputable brand of thermal paste and I see no reason why it would not. In my case - the card no longer had insane overheating to the point of shut-down; as well as coming back to life for regular use in gaming :) (so i sold it for x3 the cost a week later). While you're in there - It wouldn't hurt to clean out any dust that's collected up on the fan blades or fins of the heatsink

13 hours ago, Flashie said:

The chances are likely it would if your cards been running hot for a while already. Just make use of a reputable brand of thermal paste and I see no reason why it would not. In my case - the card no longer had insane overheating to the point of shut-down; as well as coming back to life for regular use in gaming :) (so i sold it for x3 the cost a week later). While you're in there - It wouldn't hurt to clean out any dust that's collected up on the fan blades or fins of the heatsink

Well I just bought a thermal paste that's being made in a large Belgian computer store, I'm guessing that thermal paste will be okay too?

It has a thermal conducitivy 7,8 W/mK so that's cool I guess?