AMD announces their new Ryzen Pro series of Desktop CPUs

Misanthrope
2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

ya, this year is a BIG year in releases for AMD.

They still have Ryzen Mobile, Ryzen Pro Mobile, R3, ThreadRipper, RX Vega, Vega Pro, Ryzen APU (desktop) to release. 

the percentage of market they can adress with a single die, is GLORIOUS

Copy Pasta

There are 6 skus to choose from and they are

• Ryzen Pro 7 1700x/8c-16T/3.4, 3.8 turbo/16mb L3/95w tdp
  • Ryzen Pro 7 1700/8c-16T/3.0, 3.7 turbo/16mb L3/65w tdp
  • Ryzen Pro 5 1600/6c-12T/3.2, 3.6 turbo/16mb L3/65w tdp
  • Ryzen Pro 5 1500/4c-8T/3.5, 3.7 turbo/65w tdp
  • Ryzen Pro 3 1300/4c-4T/3.5, 3.7 turbo/65w tdp
  • Ryzen Pro 3 1200/4c-4T/3.1, 3.4 turbo/65w tdp

All of them features

• Built in 128bit aes encryption engine
  • Windows 10 Enterprise security support
  • Support fTPM/TPM 2.0 features
  • Transparent secure memory encryption
  • Secure boot process
  • Trusted applications
  • Secure Production Environment

Difference for enterprise customers

• 18 months platform stability
  • 2 years processor availability. Also available for 4+ years and compatible n-2, n-1 and n+1 generation.
  • Commercial grade wafer, for long term reliability
  • Enterprise class manageability. Industry-leading DASH manageability open standard, available in all AMD Ryzen PRO processors. Enables IT Pros to administer CPU-heterogeneous PC fleet and ensuring they will never get locked into proprietary solution adding cost without meaningful benefit.
  • 3 years commercial limited warranty compared to just 1 year consumer warranty for consumer parts

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, Tedny said:

Is it 2000 series of Ryzen? 

No it is just a Pro version. I would expect the 2000 series being Zen+ or Zen2

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Clock speed is slightly different compared to consumer Ryzen.

Just noticed the entire Ryzen Pro is black/gold even down to the pcb, pins, and IHS

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Personally it's a shame that promoting this encryption features seems to be not nearly enough these days with so many vulnerabilities, ones that were known to government agencies, pop out everyday but  AMD evidently thinks this is still an important feature to target the enterprise consumer.

I actually wouldn't mind being able to make a strong argument to my IT section about being able to get one of these on my next work desktop.  It would be nice to potentially have some extra cores and threads for some of the software I use in the office.

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

AMD announces their new Ryzen Pro series of Desktop CPUs

Also, Why does that background look like the death star plans? lol....

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Just noticed the entire Ryzen Pro is black/gold even down to the pcb, pins, and IHS

I don't think that's a thing... it's just a 3-D render

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Can someone explain to me the security side to this or in how it works?

I would assume its a hardware encryption or at least is better at encrypting and decrypting (and supports mem encryption, which is cool) but where does this come to play when it comes to the software?  Like is the CPU automatically encrypting everything on its own? If so what if a drive is swapped to anther machine, can it read the data? How does this play with software encryption already on a drive? Is this only encryption to RAM only?

I can only rap my head around it being faster with encryption but they are making it seem like it is handling it ALL from the memory to the drive. 

what these Ryzen PRO CPUs lack is a iGPU and corporations that would buy these don't want extra bits and pieces with different warranties attached to their system; plus the extra power these video cards will use

one other thing that AMD does not list is ECC memory support

9 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I don't think that's a thing... it's just a 3-D render

AMD's Ryzen's and Eypc 3D renders became a reality.

10788-ryzen-chip-left-angle-960x548.png

amd-ryzen-5.jpg

17570-epyc-logo-chip-angled-right-1260x7

fad_2017_amd_epyc_lisa_su.jpg

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I would assume its a hardware encryption or at least is better at encrypting and decrypting (and supports mem encryption, which is cool) but where does this come to play when it comes to the software?  Like is the CPU automatically encrypting everything on its own? If so what if a drive is swapped to anther machine, can it read the data? How does this play with software encryption already on a drive?

I can only rap my head around it being faster with encryption but they are making it seem like it is handling it ALL from the memory to the drive. 

The way encryption works on the Pro and Epyc CPUs is that it is encrypted by the CPU security potion and EVEN the data on the ram is encrypted. were the old way of doing it is that the encrypted data had to be dencrypted before it can enter ram which creates a vulnerability if software to snoop into the RAM. so with AMD's new CPU's it can keep the data secure during all stages of its use not just when stored.

• Built in 128bit aes encryption engine
  • Windows 10 Enterprise security support
  • Support fTPM/TPM 2.0 features
  • Transparent secure memory encryption
  • Secure boot process
  • Trusted applications
  • Secure Production Environment

Yet one random group of people with skills will still crack it up... gotta love life .-

Groomlake Authority

Just now, The Benjamins said:

The way encryption works on the Pro and Epyc CPUs is that it is encrypted by the CPU security potion and EVEN the data on the ram is encrypted. were the old way of doing it is that the encrypted data had to be dencrypted before it can enter ram which creates a vulnerability if software to snoop into the RAM. so with AMD's new CPU's it can keep the data secure during all stages of its use not just when stored.

Thank you!

So it is just an encryption between CPU and RAM. I just wasnt sure if it handled encryption on the drive as well. That is a nice feature

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Thank you!

So it is just an encryption between CPU and RAM. I just wasnt sure if it handled encryption on the drive as well. That is a nice feature

I would assume it does the drive too, it is that now that it is part of the CPU Package it removes the issue of RAM snooping. Also for Epyc the encrypted VM's can be 100% locked way so even malicious admins can't snoop in it. This is a big upgrade in VM security that has not been possible before.

29 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I would assume it does the drive too, it is that now that it is part of the CPU Package it removes the issue of RAM snooping. Also for Epyc the encrypted VM's can be 100% locked way so even malicious admins can't snoop in it. This is a big upgrade in VM security that has not been possible before.

add a few software encryption layers on the vm itself and you got yourself a very secure system

3 hours ago, cj09beira said:

amd is being very smart about this launches, because its all the same die, by waiting a few months to release the commercial, enterprise and server chips they are able to fix any problem that might have risen before the release of these markets where reliability is important

The kind of hilarious thing never mentioned is that the first run of Ryzen 7 & 5 chips are all but the Engineering Samples in a normal Intel production line. It was something mentioned by one of the people with actual sources.  (The yields ended up being that good.)

I'm pretty sure the AES engine is actually active in the other chips, though it seems like programs aren't setup to use it quite yet.  At least, I've not seen any benchmarking taking full advantage of it, when it's actually a very interesting and powerful feature.

57 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what these Ryzen PRO CPUs lack is a iGPU and corporations that would buy these don't want extra bits and pieces with different warranties attached to their system; plus the extra power these video cards will use

I think this is really going to depend more on the individual corporation and what it does...  Would a front end secretary benefit from this kind of processor that needs a dedicated GPU? Probably not, however, someone that is running more taxing workloads that involves rendering probably could use the extra power behind the CPU and would probably need a dedicated GPU.  I know that some of the basic workloads I put on my system at work for mapping and rendering can utilize upwards of 60% of each thread on the 3770 in my system and over 50% of the dedicated graphics (although that is just a Radeon 7500).

Now, I agree the black heat spreader is dope. 

But, you'll never see it anyways, why is everyone so stoked about it? 

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

I would assume its a hardware encryption or at least is better at encrypting and decrypting (and supports mem encryption, which is cool) but where does this come to play when it comes to the software?  Like is the CPU automatically encrypting everything on its own? If so what if a drive is swapped to anther machine, can it read the data? How does this play with software encryption already on a drive? Is this only encryption to RAM only?

I read somewhere that AMD Ryzen and Ryzen Pro also has a ARM coprocessor built in that handles it.

amd-zen-security-coprocessor-740x394.jpg

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

what these Ryzen PRO CPUs lack is a iGPU

How is that an issue in a work station?

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

Were you dropped on your head as a child? You said this in the thread that got locked. I already mentioned you and said otherwise its in the article...

ECC.PNG

They should later down the line make a Ryzen 7 (Non-pro) black-edition with actual black IHS (even though when you install a cooler on it you will never see it...)

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

54 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

How is that an issue in a work station?

Were you dropped on your head as a child? You said this in the thread that got locked. I already mentioned you and said otherwise its in the article...

ECC.PNG

lol. 

It's a shame people actually think Internet Security can be solved which is how these branded components get so popular. Hacking is a never ending cycle it will never be solved hacker's will always hack into corporate servers, AMD will push a new driver update saying we have solved the leak in our security, and sell even more of these processors and the hackers will just strike again it's sad really.