Computer not booting from Linux USB

TheGhzGuy

Hello all!

I've been trying to set up a "new to me" computer with Linux 16.04 LTS (Or whatever the most current LTS release is) The system knows that the drive is there, so that's a good sign. However, even when I go in to change the boot order, it refuses to show the Ubuntu setup screen. 

Specs:

Core2Duo E8500

Stock Intel Cooler

Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C

Sapphire HD 6850

4GB DDR2

Toshiba 320GB HDD

SeaSonic SSP-450RT

Thank you! 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

What method are you using to create the bootable media? If I were you, I'd use linux live usb maker, It's great for that sort of thing.

Samuel Edwards

- IT Engineer and Media Producer -

Religious theology diploma and over half a dozen certificates in Advanced Computing and IT.

Current Project:   Mineral Oil Cooled PC

Just trying to be friendly and help where I can. Have yourself a great day!

Use @SamuelJE for friendly tech help :)

Main PC - "The Genesis"

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3

CPU     -   intel i5-6600K 4Ghz on water

GPU     -   MSI GTX970 "Red Dragon"

Case    -   Zalman Z11 Plus (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

SSD     -   Crucial 250GB SATA SSD

HDD    -    4TB WD Green x 2

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Secondary PC - "Jonah"   (Mineral oil PC)

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-B250-DH1

CPU     -   intel i5-7500 Under Oil

GPU     -   Nvidia GTX 660 (Favorite and first ever GPU)

Case    -   A Fish Tank W/ Custom Engineered Mounting System (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

HDD    -    2TB WD Green

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Just now, SamuelJE said:

What method are you using to create the bootable media? If I were you, I'd use linux live usb maker, It's great for that sort of thing.

I've used Rufus up until now, but I guessed it might not play nice with such an old board. I'll test it again with that USB Maker. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

9 minutes ago, SamuelJE said:

I've only used LiLi to make USB sticks with persistence, which settings would you recommend for those without persistence? 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

37 minutes ago, SamuelJE said:

Nevermind, didn't work. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I've made a few of these USB bootable drives using the same version of Ubuntu with Rufus. with each time, Rufus would alert me that it needed to download some additional files in order to work with the Linux kernel. If you didn't see this message, make sure that you're using the latest version of Rufus. Also, sometimes its doesn't work well with USB 3 or higher. Try using a regular USB 2.0 thumb drive on the latest version of Rufus. good luck. 

13 minutes ago, Zack_Friedman said:

I've made a few of these USB bootable drives using the same version of Ubuntu with Rufus. with each time, Rufus would alert me that it needed to download some additional files in order to work with the Linux kernel. If you didn't see this message, make sure that you're using the latest version of Rufus. Also, sometimes its doesn't work well with USB 3 or higher. Try using a regular USB 2.0 thumb drive on the latest version of Rufus. good luck. 

Yeah, I've been using USB 2.0 for that reason. I saw the Rufus alert as well. I'm starting to think it may be a motherboard issue by design. A quick Google search pulled a forum post saying that Gigabyte boards were notorious for refusing to boot from USB. I might try it "The old fashioned way" AKA: CD-ROM

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

29 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

Yeah, I've been using USB 2.0 for that reason. I saw the Rufus alert as well. I'm starting to think it may be a motherboard issue by design. A quick Google search pulled a forum post saying that Gigabyte boards were notorious for refusing to boot from USB. I might try it "The old fashioned way" AKA: CD-ROM

Yeah I've had a few of those obnoxious mobos that don't want to boot USB, although normally they have been laptops. CD sounds like your best bet. the Ubuntu ISO can fit on a regular blank DVD. I recommend ImgBurn to make the media, its free and works great. 

1 minute ago, Zack_Friedman said:

Yeah I've had a few of those obnoxious mobos that don't want to boot USB, although normally they have been laptops. CD sounds like your best bet. the Ubuntu ISO can fit on a regular blank DVD. I recommend ImgBurn to make the media, its free and works great. 

Sounds lovely! I'll try that later and will update you on what happens.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

17 hours ago, Zack_Friedman said:

18 hours ago, SamuelJE said:

It worked when I installed it via DVD. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock