[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I love a channel called My PlayHouse, he's a Danish youtuber, he's recently been messing with a similar server. I wanna try some of the massive SMT'd RISC servers, like the SPARC T4 before moving onto LGA 2011, There are a couple things I do somewhat recently that would benefit from RISC but they're insanely expensive and 250 watts for a CPU is pretty high lol. 

I used to have a really old SPARC server from the 90's, stole the 80mm Comair Rotron fans out of it before I threw it away, amazing fans.

Metal 3D printing fittings that need to be water tight with O ring seals it out of the question, you'd need a machined surface for proper sealing, I meant the support components, do you have the cable management arms behind the servers, that would make tubing runs a lot easier.

Oh yea I mean 3D print a new blanking plate that is thicker than normal or something, dunno. CNC for that would be better unless I can think of something only a 3D printer can do.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I used to have a really old SPARC server from the 90's, stole the 80mm Comair Rotron fans out of it before I threw it away, amazing fans.

haha, salvage what you can eh, yeah, those fans look fucking terrifying, they remind me of a massive pressed metal fan I have that's attached to an AC motor that's like 30,000 RPM and insanely loud and scary. 

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Oh yea I mean 3D print a new blanking plate that is thicker than normal or something, dunno. CNC for that would be better unless I can think of something only a 3D printer can do.

There are quite a few parts involved, while I don't have a complete set drawn up, it doesn't take a genius to know there is a lot involved in quick disconnects that disconnect as the server is drawn out of the rack and automatically shut it down since it no longer has cooling. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, leadeater said:

One day maybe I will, in VMs.

That's a lot of 7980XEs.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

That's a lot of 7980XEs.

Xeons are much better for this, although they haven't released the SkyLake ones yet, Broadwell EP 24 core CPU's in an 8 way config is 2*8*24 threads, which is insane. 384 threads of gooey VM goodness with up to like 12TB of RAM,in a single machine. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

There are quite a few parts involved, while I don't have a complete set drawn up, it doesn't take a genius to know there is a lot involved in quick disconnects that disconnect as the server is drawn out of the rack and automatically shut it down since it no longer has cooling. 

I'll be using standard quick disconnects so it's only a case of getting them mounted nicely to the case. Most likely will end up used threaded fill passthrough ports and screw in to that then just plumb as per normal.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-af-fillport-g1-4-black-nickel

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/fittings/extra/qdc

Just now, leadeater said:

I'll be using standard quick disconnects so it's only a case of getting them mounted nicely to the case. Most likely will end up used threaded fill passthrough ports and screw in to that then just plumb as per normal.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-af-fillport-g1-4-black-nickel

if you just bunch up enough tube behind each rack with quick disconnects, you probably won't need the disconnects that much, and it's be easier 

Yours faithfully

Xeons are much better for this

Yeah, but I'm trying to keep a joke running. I suggested a home use case to @leadeater where the 7980XE was a good proposition, revolving around using a KVM to run multiple machines, gaming machine, HTPC, NAS, etc. off of one box when space is limited. Now the joke is me trying to sell Lead the 7980XE for any VM related task.

Also, assuming 1 VM per core, it'd take 76 7980XEs to run 1366 VMs, with a handful of cores to spare.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

if you just bunch up enough tube behind each rack with quick disconnects, you probably won't need the disconnects that much, and it's be easier 

99.99% it's a I just want to do it to see if I can :P. What's the worst that could happen........

EKR4MGc.jpg

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yeah, but I'm trying to keep a joke running. I suggested a home use case to @leadeater where the 7980XE was a good proposition, revolving around using a KVM to run multiple machines, gaming machine, HTPC, NAS, etc. off of one box when space is limited. Now the joke is me trying to sell Lead the 7980XE for any VM related task.

Also, assuming 1 VM per core, it'd take 76 7980XEs to run 1366 VMs, with a handful of cores to spare.

Would only take 19 if i did 4:1 vCPU to pCPU ratio, VMs can share cores :)

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Hey only $38k, that's pocket change, comparitively speaking.

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

it that is Zimbabwe dollars then you can't even buy a coffee with that 

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

it that is Zimbabwe dollars then you can't even buy a coffee with that 

Damn, well so much for Starbucks.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

Damn, well so much for Starbucks.

they reached a point were you needed millions to buy a single coffee, the inflation was so great from one day to the next things would go up in price

45 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Bleh. Sharing cores.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

there was a time i was thinking of buying a few million Zimbabwean dollars to use for monopoly 

Well current conversion rates (according the U.S. gov conversion) 38k ZWD is 105 USD.

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

they reached a point were you needed millions to buy a single coffee, the inflation was so great from one day to the next things would go up in price

Ya I got on and saw you can buy multi million notes for like 40 bucks.

57 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Compared to Intel's couple of 100,000 for blade servers, it really is just pocket change

Yours faithfully

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Compared to Intel's couple of 100,000 for blade servers, it really is just pocket change

Heck if even if you compare it to the price of the Xeon counterpart it's still significantly cheaper. Which is a 200w TDP chip.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

Heck if even if you compare the price of the Xeon counterpart it's still significantly cheaper.

Yeah, I doubt EPYC will be anywhere near the $7000+ the high high end Xeons command, mostly because EPYC is only two way scalable. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah, I doubt EPYC will be anywhere near the $7000+ the high high end Xeons command, mostly because EPYC is only two way scalable. 

Ya, but hey, it's only money right? Who wouldn't want to have 224 cores, 448 threads, and up up to 18,432GBs of RAM in one system.

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well we already know the 1S epic 32c is $2100, and the 2S versions start at $3400.

1497994409198448065856_575px.jpg

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

41 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Well we already know the 1S epic 32c is $2100, and the 2S versions start at $3400.

That's not too far off from the dual socket top end broadwell xeons.