[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

They make some great PSUs for sure.  I have one in my x99 rig.

I love that the one I put in a build for my friend was cube shaped.  It was short enough front to back to fit better in the Corsair Spec-M2 mATX case I used.  That thing is a decent case but it sucks for length of PSU it can use.  At least if you plan on leaving the HDD cage in place.  

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

They make some great PSUs for sure.  I have one in my x99 rig.

Going to sell my Platinum in a few months and pick up the new Titanium 1000w. Not that I need to, but damn I've had my eyeballs on that since release. IIRC, only the 3rd(?) PSU JohnnyGuru gave a perfect 10.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

VRM design is the easiest thing to do on a board and they easily have done it enough times to be able to copy paste from another board on to X299.  Second, they make higher end X299 boards with better heatpiped VRM heatsinks, so this was clearly a cost-cut-corner-cut problem.  The only reason to blame Intel in this is because hey it's the hip thing to do this summer.

Third, it's the 10 core.  The 6950X has already *been* there.  This isn't a sudden "oh here's 18 cores #dealwithit".

Wow, its that easy, just copy and paste... whew, shouldnt you be working at these board makers? Of course there is also an issue of parts availability with Intel's NOW FUCKING NOW release schedule. 

He has a valid point. 

It's clearly Intel's fault giving little to no headroom for development. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I'll be interested to see how my Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 does.  It is heat-piped and has the 8+8 setup.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

lul single 8 pin with a 10 core. really spits in the face of the upgradeability angle intel is going for. although, "budget" boards can and do hold back non budget chips. really though throw me a friggin 4 pin too. 

Edrick at Andantech:

Ok, had only a few hours tonight to break in my new rig, but here are my initial impressions and test results.

Stock (4Ghz all cores) - voltages set to Auto
- Very stable, and efficient. No problem OCing RAM to 3200mhz with no required bump to IMC or NB voltages.
- Ran Prime95 (FMA-AVX2) for 10 minutes using option that generates the most heat. Results are as follows: 
VCore: 1.05v
Max Core Temp: 61C
Max VRM Temp: 60C
142 watts

Mild OC (4.2Ghz all cores) - voltages set to Auto
- Ran Prime95 (FMA-AVX2) for 10 minutes using option that generates the most heat. Results are as follows: 
VCore: 1.10v
Max Core Temp: 67C
Max VRM Temp: 64C
151 watts

Did not have time to go any higher tonight. But to be honest, I was happy with my 6600K at 4.2Ghz (which required 1.25v to achieve), so I think I may eventually land back here as my 24/7 speed.

The Good
- Stable out of the box. Much better experience than with my z170x MB on release day two years ago. It took 3 BIOS updates later to even OC my RAM to 3000mhz. With the X299, OCing RAM to 3200 was a snap (even with an immature BIOS).

- Very energy efficient at stock and low OC speeds. Less voltage and runs cooler than my 6600K at the same speeds. I think this is a large part due to 14nm+.

- Different offsets for AVX and AVX-512. This can really help achieve better OC results in my opinion.

The Bad
- Northbrige runs at 2.4Ghz regardless of CPU speed. And unlike all past platforms, this speed is not changeable in the BIOS. Maybe this is simply a Gigabyte BIOS issue, but there is no place to change that stock value.

- You can not disable the AVX offset. You either have to choose a value from 1 to 31 (1 being 100mhz less than CPU frequency) or choose AUTO (which sets the offset to 300mhz). So you can never run AVX code at CPU speeds. Again, this may be fixed in later BIOS updates and not be a limitation of the platform itself.

- NVMe drives running slow. Same drives on a Z170 MB were running much faster (see my post above). Using the same test program (Aida64) and same drives, speed decreased by over 1000MBps. This may be an Aida issue or again a BIOS issue. I will try other tests tomorrow.

The Ugly
- None yet. But other people's reviews of the 7900X is concerning. 

Thoughts
So far I am happy. I expected issues as an early adopter so I am not concerned with the few issues I have found. I am also not experiencing the same heat/power/vrm issues with the 7820X as others are having with the 7900X. I will do more testing tomorrow after work.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, TahoeDust said:

I'll be interested to see how my Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 does.  It is heat-piped and has the 8+8 setup.

I wouldn't doubt that it will be fine. 

If you look at the heatsinks that were used on all of the mid to low end boards in der8auer's video, you'll notice that they are very simple and unimpressive. 

My x99 board uses a far beefier heatsink than any of those and x99 doesn't come close in power consumed by the CPU. 

This is pretty clearly a case of MB manufactures saving a few bucks.  There was plenty of time to add some of the garbage they put on these boards. 

6 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

And threadripper will likely have the same issues at launch. Great job all around.

AMD's reference power specification requires an 8-pin and 4-pin, hence why some board makes like Asus with their upcoming Zenith Extreme opted to upgrade to dual 8-pin connectors.

And some motherboard makers with more affordable options are going with the aforementioned 8-pin and 4-pin CPU connectors, which is minimal requirement to properly power the CPU.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

if you have to water cool your VRM you may as well mineral cool the whole thing

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

12 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I wouldn't doubt that it will be fine. 

I would think it would be ok.  I have not had it in hand, but it looks pretty solid...

vdiIaKs.png

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

8 hours ago, done12many2 said:

platform plagued with memory issues and unoptimized definitely qualifies as "rushed", but I guess that depends on what company you root for

Sorry I first saw this thread right before going to bed and missed any response.

I agree Ryzen was also rushed but because TR was planned and not brought forward and is Ryzen based (literally) it shouldn't have launch issues similar to Ryzen. Hence my original post.

WAIT A DAMN MINUTE!

Wasn't AMD the hot one? /s

Anyway, 100C VRM? Tha's no gud, son. Tha's no gud at all. 

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

9 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I did this in such a hurry to beat anyone else I had to spend 2 minutes correcting bad grammar and actually adding a valid opinion 

Join the club. I had that problem with my old account trying to post. Lol

7 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Also, people used beefy-VRM requirement for FX-8000 series as an argument against the platform and AMD for creating such power-hungry CPUs, yet some comments here say it's a non-issue...

EDIT: That's, if what der8auer said really is an issue.

AMD do it = Scandalous

Intel do it = Acceptable/Feature ("Yay now I get to watercool my VRM" Or buy a $400 motherboard)

Learn the LTT standards :P 

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Also, holy balls that's hot. Why should I have to buy a monoblock just to use my CPU. Plus if anyone is thinking you're OCing an 18 core to 4.5GHz.. just no, you were never going to be able to do that this year.

18 core will have very low clock speeds otherwise it's simply not going to run.

35 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

WAIT A DAMN MINUTE!

Wasn't AMD the hot one? /s

Anyway, 100C VRM? Tha's no gud, son. Tha's no gud at all. 

They were but see above

7 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Because these chips can perform better than an i5.

That doesn't make it any better...

7 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

And because these arent going in peoples rigs who dont need more than a 500B

That's actually even worse... This platform is so f*cked up I don't even... Why couldn't they wait and fine-tune it so there are no stupid issues like that when you buy a 10-core CPU + mobo for 1300-1400USD?

What's worse? It's only about 10-cores, what about the 18-core chip which is almost double the cores? Will it have only select, specially tailored motherboards that support it and Intel fans will call it a "feature" instead of a fuck-up?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Intels statement:

"YOU SHALL NOT OVERCLOCK"

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

15 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

That doesn't make it any better...

That's actually even worse... This platform is so f*cked up I don't even... Why couldn't they wait and fine-tune it so there are no stupid issues like that when you buy a 10-core CPU + mobo for 1300-1400USD?

What's worse? It's only about 10-cores, what about the 18-core chip which is almost double the cores? Will it have only select, specially tailored motherboards that support it and Intel fans will call it a "feature" instead of a fuck-up?

At least the CPU won't be sold at $1000 initially...while being outperformed by one that is under half the price and with close to a quarter of the power consumption.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

At least the CPU won't be sold at $1000 initially...while being outperformed by one that is under half the price and with close to a quarter of the power consumption.

What CPU is outperforming it? I fully expect the 16 core TR to cost less and trash it but I don't think any current CPU is outperforming it. It's slightly ahead in most tests, though does trade blows with the 6950X in some tests which some say is a result of the changes to L2&L3 cache this generation.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

What CPU is outperforming it? I fully expect the 16 core TR to cost less and trash it but I don't think any current CPU is outperforming it. It's slightly ahead in most tests, though does trade blows with the 6950X in some tests which some say is a result of the changes to L2&L3 cache this generation.

I'm referring to the "oh shit my motherboard is on fire" AMD FX 9590. Which launched at $1000, consumes upwards of 220W of power, and was flogged by consumer level i7.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

I'm referring to the "oh shit my motherboard is on fire" AMD FX 9590. Which launched at $1000, consumes upwards of 220W of power, and was flogged by consumer level i7.

Oh I see :) $1000 was the confusing part xD I was like this cpu is $1000+ at least for now :P 

1 hour ago, tom_w141 said:

Oh I see :) $1000 was the confusing part xD I was like this cpu is $1000+ at least for now :P 

This thread has derailed so far that you can't simply assume posts are related to OP in any way :P 

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

This thread has derailed so far that you can't simply assume posts are related to OP in any way :P 

Intel fans do that ASAP, to get the conversation going in any other direction that doesn't reflect badly on infallible Intel. Pages 1-3 and some 5 are relevant though. Page 4 is 100% unrelated power supply discussion. A 3 page derailment is a new personal best for them I think :P Though if you comment on it the response will be that they are able to discuss anything they like regardless of thread topic.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Intel fans do that ASAP, to get the conversation going in any other direction that doesn't reflect badly on infallible Intel. Pages 1-3 and some 5 are relevant though. Page 4 is 100% unrelated power supply discussion. A 3 page derailment is a new personal best for them I think :P Though if you comment on it the response will be that they are able to discuss anything they like regardless of thread topic.

Its the same thing as what we've seen in the past: Manufacturer releases CPU with very high power consumption>only boards with high quality VRM/well cooled VRM can handle them>motherboard throttles/can shit itself/will shit itself when run with the power hungry CPU. Though this isn't happening on an old+cheap (if you only ever count 9590 as highly binned 8350) platform but one that will cost several thousand dollars (so its actually worse than that other time).

PMSL