[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

Well, it seems der8auer has had issues with the VRM coolers and single 8 pin connectors on X299 boards. In this video, he shows the VRMs get up to 100°C on the board, as he estimates the VRM modules themselves are probably at TJunction max, and the single 8 pin connectors on PSUs can hit 60°C when overclocking the 10 core models, oops.

He blames the manufacturers and Intel, which might be fair, since the launch was moved forward, so watch out if picking an X299 board folks. This probably won't be so much of an issue for normal users with 6 and 8 core units, but if you buy the 10 core chip and clock it to 4.5GHz, there is a chance the cooler on the VRM and power connector might overheat, that really isn't good for high end stuff

Update: As was mentioned by a lot of people, and I'd agree mostly, this only effects some lower end boards. Other channels have started testing this and come to difference conclusions, as well as about the single 8 pin connector. Der8auer has yet to respond with an update, even before that he said he'd do further testing. This is also a VRM cooling issue, the VRM's themselves, while they're getting a healty workout, are still very capable of powering the CPUs up to 10 cores at least. 

UPDATE 2: Der8auer has updated with another video, and more information about his testing and what went wrong. He explains in a lot more details and rebutts some issues some had about the PSU, he used more than one guys, as mentioned in this video, he is still down on the single 8 pin. He also talks about throttling and other issues he has encountered with X299, turns out some reviewers had power limit throttling and that is why some didn't see the larger power usage and heat. I use ROG boards and I have my settings to 140% for my i7 7700K, so it's not uncommon for overclockers to do this. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Modzy said:

dammit, was about to link this xD beat me to 2 mins haha

I did this in such a hurry to beat anyone else I had to spend 2 minutes correcting bad grammar and actually adding a valid opinion 

Yours faithfully

Just now, tom_w141 said:

So... The entire platform runs hot? Add custom VRM cooling to the list of requirements for this new amazing platform.

yep, VRM waterblocks are about to become more than a fashion thing again, and he recommends not overclocking on any of the single 8 pin boards if you have anything more than the 6 core ones I'd imagine. I wonder what the X299 chip itself is like, it looks like X299 will be even worse than X99, PROGRESS! 

Yours faithfully

And threadripper will likely have the same issues at launch. Great job all around.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

5 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

If it's already struggling with the 10-core, what about the 18 core? 

Looking at the list of issues ... have they made anything decent since Sandy Bridge?  It either overheats due to bad TIM, bends because of thinness, has HT issues, general instability, etc etc

Those are all features and part of the Intel charm is spending time and money to overcome them because performance... /s

I honestly think this is a non issue. No one in their right mind will buy a 10 chip anyways. Just too expensive. Only youtubers getting it for free, might get these issues. And who cares about their free stuff breaking?

That being said, everything about x299 is a giant cluster frack.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

23 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Looking at the list of issues ... have they made anything decent since Sandy Bridge?  It either overheats due to bad TIM, bends because of thinness, has HT issues, general instability, etc etc

Devil's Canyon is quite good. You can overclock a 4790K to 4.7/4.8GHz under a cheap 240mm AIO/good air cooler to its max....even if you have an mATX 4 phase H87 based motherboard.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

@done12many2 Don't brutally murder a bunch of X299 chips, please. I want that to be my claim to fame on the forum.

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

No one in their right mind will buy a 10 chip anyways. Just too expensive. Only youtubers getting it for free, might get these issues. And who cares about their free stuff breaking?

I've given consideration of everything in the X299 stack that offers 44 PCIe lanes. Don't be surprised if I get the 7980XE as a toy before the second X299 lineup debuts.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

You can't blame Intel for this...this isn't the first 10 core CPU that the mobo mfg's have seen.  They were just being cheapskates.

Single 8pin has no business being on a X299 board.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, Drak3 said:

@done12many2 Don't brutally murder a bunch of X299 chips, please. I want that to be my claim to fame on the forum.

I've given consideration of everything in the X299 stack that offers 44 PCIe lanes. Don't be surprised if I get the 7980XE as a toy before the second X299 lineup debuts.

Why would you even need such a chip? Get the 16 core ThreadRipper instead. At least you will have 8 channel memory and 64 PCI lanes. Oh and you can get a motherboard and probably 128GB of ram on top of that and still be cheaper than the 18 core Intel.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, Notional said:

I honestly think this is a non issue. No one in their right mind will buy a 10 chip anyways. Just too expensive. Only youtubers getting it for free, might get these issues. And who cares about their free stuff breaking?

That being said, everything about x299 is a giant cluster frack.

well wasn't @done12many2 going to get the 10c+ CPU's

What do you think of this?

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Why would you even need such a chip? Get the 16 core ThreadRipper instead. At least you will have 8 channel memory and 64 PCI lanes. Oh and you can get a motherboard and probably 128GB of ram on top of that and still be cheaper than the 18 core Intel.

TR is 4 not 8 channel, Epyc is 8.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, Nicnac said:

@Lord Nicoll it's der 8auer not 9auer :P  with the 8 being a B in leetspeak and "Bauer" Meinung peasant or farmer in German :) 

Nah, it's Der9auer now. He finally leveled up once.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Hm....in the (admittedly small) selection of boards we have on launch, every single one of them has at least an 8+4 and most are 8+8. Odd.

AMD made Intel go into panic mode and now Intel has been caught with their pants down.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

25 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

This is what happens when companies get complacent and take their users by granted. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

37 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

This probably won't be so much of an issue for normal users with 6 and 8 core units, but if you buy the 10 core chip and clock it to 4.5GHz, there is a chance the cooler on the VRM and power connector might overheat, that really isn't good for high end stuff

While I would hope that most people don't run into these kind of problems, or if they do, they are smart enough to pull back their overclocks, if something does go wrong with the board at the VRM, you may suffer more of a problem than just a dead board.  Seems like a lot of money you could be out...

As long as it beats Ryzen

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

23 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I'll bet you it doesn't :) Wasn't rushed and is Ryzen based.

Don't forget that "rushed" releases happen with both companies.  A platform plagued with memory issues and unoptimized definitely qualifies as "rushed", but I guess that depends on what company you root for.  

With that said, it's a shame that the MB manufacturers are releasing these boards with poor VRM cooling.  My x99 board has way better cooling out of the box than these things do.  How did they expect that they were going to get away with less VRM cooling on a platform that will consume more power on average?

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

AVX512. The Lulz. Because I want to run XP in a VM. Single Core performance.

Also, TR only has quad channel memory, and if it's just rocking PCI lanes, eeww. Besides, I'd probably rock an EPYC octocore if I need 64+ lanes but not many cores, as part of a NAS that uses NVMe heavily/eclusively.

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Nah, it's Der9auer now. He finally leveled up once.

His trainer took away his everstone.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.