Is this normal after Creator's Update?

Go to solution Solved by zMeul,

the only wrong thing I see is the grime and slime on the monitor - clean that shit up

After updating to the CU a few weeks ago, I have been having this strange boot screen. After the PC has finished booting (circles moving around) there will be an identical circle loading screen that will appear for 1 - 2 seconds and then it will boot into Windows. This never happened before the CU, is it normal?

It happened to me too on my old rig. No idea if it's still going on now since I don't really shut down my PC (sleep states ftw) and booting from an SSD is pretty freakin fast

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

the only wrong thing I see is the grime and slime on the monitor - clean that shit up

You're right, that's definitely the issue. 

+1

No, but seriously, it has been done now, a a few weeks ago actually. This video was from when I initially updated. I didn't know how to clean monitor screens before and I recently found out you should only use microfibre cloths with water. A lot of that "grime" is from using anti-bac wipes on the screen, lol.

4 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

It happened to me too on my old rig. No idea if it's still going on now since I don't really shut down my PC (sleep states ftw) and booting from an SSD is pretty freakin fast

Yeah, this was booting from my SSD too, I know it's kinda slow though.

Seems like it may be finishing something and then decides to start up something else. Go into the Disk Cleanup utility and delete the pervious Windows versions. I guess that could help...

4 minutes ago, Septimus said:

Seems like it may be finishing something and then decides to start up something else. Go into the Disk Cleanup utility and delete the pervious Windows versions. I guess that could help...

Yeah, all previous Windows version are deleted, there's not really anything else going on. 

Since the guy above said he had the same thing happen to him, I'm guessing the CU just messed something up or it's just a bug.

I think it's a GPU driver thing. When it Boots, it's going to use the iGPU. It may be switching not so smoothly to your dedicated when Windows is loading, or something... I'd double check to make sure you're drivers are installed from ASUS for your chipset and GPUs.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I think it's a GPU driver thing. When it Boots, it's going to use the iGPU. It may be switching not so smoothly to your dedicated when Windows is loading, or something... I'd double check to make sure you're drivers are installed from ASUS for your chipset and GPUs.

Yes, I downloaded all the correct drivers when I did a fresh install a couple of weeks ago. iGPU also isn't even enabled in the BIOS, does it still use it on boot though?

Another thing I have noticed is that this only happens if fast startup is on in the power settings, if I switch it off it loads normally. 

6 minutes ago, Celios said:

Yes, I downloaded all the correct drivers when I did a fresh install a couple of weeks ago. iGPU also isn't even enabled in the BIOS, does it still use it on boot though?

Another thing I have noticed is that this only happens if fast startup is on in the power settings, if I switch it off it loads normally. 

If you're using your dedicated GPU, your fine. Drivers don't load until OS loads. Your screen is flashing because the GPU is disabling output as the driver comes on. Then it turns output back on. It's not a different screen, it's the same one. Your GPU just blinked.

Fast boot on designed to increase your boot speed by decreasing the amount of system tests on boot.

28 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

If you're using your dedicated GPU, your fine. Drivers don't load until OS loads. Your screen is flashing because the GPU is disabling output as the driver comes on. Then it turns output back on. It's not a different screen, it's the same one. Your GPU just blinked.

Fast boot on designed to increase your boot speed by decreasing the amount of system tests on boot.

Not fast boot in BIOS, fast startup in the Windows power options. If it is turned off, there's is no load screen "blink".

3 hours ago, Celios said:

Not fast boot in BIOS, fast startup in the Windows power options. If it is turned off, there's is no load screen "blink".

I wouldn't do a Windows fast startup. BIOS, sure. Essentially hardware optimization for time. Wouldn't mess around with software stuff like that.

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I wouldn't do a Windows fast startup. BIOS, sure. Essentially hardware optimization for time. Wouldn't mess around with software stuff like that.

Windows fast startup is enabled by default, I meant disabling it stops the issue of the loading screen repeating itself but leads to a slower boot time.