Testing Methodology : Is Wireless Networking FINALLY as Fast as Wired?? 802.11ad

ArkTheYO

Hey can anyone please explain me the testing methodology used in this recent LTT video : 

and can please make me understand the ping and the cmd commands used here: 

and what is the meaning of the graphs , i get the speed parts but what about the client thing. Please help me out! 

P.S.: the second video starts at a different timeline so do check it to know what i am confused about!

22 minutes ago, ArkTheYO said:

Hey can anyone please explain me the testing methodology used in this recent LTT video : 

VIDEO

and can please make me understand the ping and the cmd commands used here: 

VIDEO

and what is the meaning of the graphs , i get the speed parts but what about the client thing. Please help me out! 

P.S.: the second video starts at a different timeline so do check it to know what i am confused about!

The command in the time stamped video is a simple ping test. ping is the time delay from sending a signal to another machine and getting a response back.

command layed out below

ping [ip/host name of machine to ping] -t [-t means to keep pinging till stoped versus the standard 4 pings]

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

The video is very straight forward. The testing methodology used tested speeds relative to distance, router and obstacle placement in relation to a device.

The CMD command is something called a ping test utilized by the ping command which is ping google.com or ping google.com -t where you test the quality of your present internet connection, if can be measured on WIFI or Ethernet, the -t will keep testing until you stop it while the non -t will run for four checks and then stop. The lines of what you thing is code that keeps appearing is actually the expression/reflection of the internet quality at that present time. The reply from is the IP that you pinged, the bytes is the number of bytes in the packet the ping code sent, this could be set to what ever you want or left as auto just like they did, the time is how long it took for the test to send the number of bytes to the IP and the TTL is the representation of the number of hops the packet took to get to the IP address  hop limit during during each test.

The graphs shows the speed in relation to the distance of the device from the router, with and without any obstacles.

Yes i know i made it worse :/ but that is how it is.:)

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

14 minutes ago, Leonard said:

the TTL is the representation of the number of hops the packet took to get to the IP address during each test.

TTL is not the amount of hops, it means Time to Live it is the amount of time that network thing has before it is thrown out. TTL are used on domains so the PC know how long to wait until grabing the ip again. TTL is used in DHCP servers to tell the PC how long it can use a IP for until it has to release one again. and in ping tests it is how long the ping will wait for before it is considered lost. 

going from your PC to google.com may usually have 5-10 hops not 64, and their is no way a lan should ever have 64 hops

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc