Which of these GTX 1070 cards should I buy?

Abe_R
1 hour ago, Abe_R said:

I'd choose the EVGA, First its Superclocked with a decent cooler (ACX 3.0)

And i'd really avoid the ASUS one, First, it wont boost as fast as the EVGA SC, and I'd really avoid this specific one because its a blower fan design, which are generally speaking, are bad coolers unless you have a specific use case for them (a very small form factor HTPC)

But if you're using a modern case, then definitely the EVGA one

Depends on the case, but if in a mid tower the EVGA SC will be better. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

I am choosing EVGA SC because ACX 3.0 is on par with the strix three fans cooler

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Just leaving one more vote for the EVGASC.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

the EVGA SC. tho make sure it has the thermal pads.. well the incident is far past now, but doesn't hurt to make sure

3 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

I am choosing EVGA SC because ACX 3.0 is on par with the strix three fans cooler

it isn't. the strix runs several degrees cooler = more gpu boost 3.0 headroom. plus it has a custom PCB, the SC is mostly reference

Just now, Technicolors said:

It isn't. the strix runs several degrees cooler = more gpu boost 3.0 headroom. plus it has a custom PCB, the SC is mostly reference

I knew it i should have put "almost par" and i meant FTW for closer comparison

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they are likely all sold out on every retailers, both models.

RX 470/480/570/580 GTX 1060/1070 are impossible to find online right now...and when they are in stock they are like 500$+

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

the EVGA SC. tho make sure it has the thermal pads.. well the incident is far past now, but doesn't hurt to make sure

it isn't. the strix runs several degrees cooler = more gpu boost 3.0 headroom. plus it has a custom PCB, the SC is mostly reference

I'm not really up to date on all these kind of things but I've heard some people saying there were some thermals problems. What was all that about?

Just now, Abe_R said:

I'm not really up to date on all these kind of things but I've heard some people saying there were some thermals problems. What was all that about?

it was the early revisions of these cards missing thermals pads on core components such as VRM mosfets and memory chips...it's all fixed now, but like i said, the cards are all out of stock or grossly overpriced everywhere right now.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they are likely all sold out on every retailers, both models.

RX 470/480/570/580 GTX 1060/1070 are impossible to find online right now...

As far as I can tell on the EVGA on Amazon it says there are some in stock but they'd be dispatched within 2-3 weeks but I don't mind that if it means I get a decent price on a more powerful card than the 1060 I was originally going to get.

Just now, Abe_R said:

As far as I can tell on the EVGA on Amazon it says there are some in stock but they'd be dispatched within 2-3 weeks but I don't mind that if it means I get a decent price on a more powerful card than the 1060 I was originally going to get.

yeah they say 2-3 weeks....how long you'll officialy have to wait though is unknown..

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

yeah they say 2-3 weeks....how long you'll officialy have to wait though is unknown..

Really? That sucks. Is it generally a lot more or can it vary dramatically? 

Just now, Abe_R said:

Really? That sucks. Is it generally a lot more or can it vary dramatically? 

unknown, means...unknown...so long as the miners are clicking on every fucking refresh buttons on every retailers websites desperately looking to buy all of them available cards everywhere...you know...it sucks :(

I think you will be lucky to get one at all, nevermind for £350, I don't think 1070's were ever  that low in the UK, and now due to mining, theres like a few retailers with 1 or 2 cards in at £450

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

I think you will be lucky to get one at all, nevermind for £350, I don't think 1070's were ever  that low in the UK, and now due to mining, theres like a few retailers with 1 or 2 cards in at £450

So at £350 is it worth the wait? I have a dogshit 1GB vram Radeon from 2012 thats unopened so I could use that until the 1070 is dispatched if it's worth it.

2 minutes ago, Abe_R said:

So at £350 is it worth the wait? I have a dogshit 1GB vram Radeon from 2012 thats unopened so I could use that until the 1070 is dispatched if it's worth it.

Well it would be worth it, if you got it by 3 weeks - it really depends how long you end up waiting

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, stealth80 said:

Well it would be worth it, if you got it by 3 weeks - it really depends how long you end up waiting

I could probably be willing to wait a month but any longer would be ridiculous. Surely they'd be ready to dispatch by then?

28 minutes ago, Abe_R said:

I could probably be willing to wait a month but any longer would be ridiculous. Surely they'd be ready to dispatch by then?

my only concern is "are you getting your moneys worth" if you end waiting 6 or 7 weeks. Pascal has already been here a year, I'm actually shocked I've had my 1080 for coming up 9 months - my point being? Say you wait 7 weeks, that puts you in the middle of August when your shiny new 1070 arrives - So what? Vega will be here and Volta will be on it's way.

Ryzen Ram Guide

30 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

my only concern is "are you getting your moneys worth" if you end waiting 6 or 7 weeks. Pascal has already been here a year, I'm actually shocked I've had my 1080 for coming up 9 months - my point being? Say you wait 7 weeks, that puts you in the middle of August when your shiny new 1070 arrives - So what? Vega will be here and Volta will be on it's way.

Sorry about being so new and uninformed but can you explain Volta to me? I've heard a bit about Vega but haven't looked into Volta. Is it going to be a whole new range by Nvidia including cards that occupy the £250 and £350 price points or are they just high-end cards that are expected to lower the costs of current cards like a 1070 making them a better value option?

26 minutes ago, Abe_R said:

Sorry about being so new and uninformed but can you explain Volta to me? I've heard a bit about Vega but haven't looked into Volta. Is it going to be a whole new range by Nvidia including cards that occupy the £250 and £350 price points or are they just high-end cards that are expected to lower the costs of current cards like a 1070 making them a better value option?

pretty much bang on, no release date known, but late 2017/early 2018

Ryzen Ram Guide

36 minutes ago, Abe_R said:

to elaborate a little more, previously it ran a little like (in terms of performance)

1070 replaced the 970 but performed ~ 980ti. However on release it was around £100 - £150 more than a 970, ....

the 1060 offered performance of a 980 at the price point of a 970

same happened with the 970, performance of a 780ti for much less (around £300 on release, changed some between £330 and £270)

So what do I mean?

Let's say Volta is given the 11 series

I would "expect" a new top dog in the 1180 (like the 1080 and 980 were) for around £600 ish

then the good stuff

1170 giving around 1080ti performance for £450 ish

1160 giving 1080/1070 ish performance for around £280 - £330

However, as you may be aware, there's generally a wait for the lower end cards, 1080 came closely followed by 1070 then a wait for the 1060 and again for 1050.

there's always benefits of waiting, but then we would always be waiting.  We also don't know how Vega will affect current pricing, if at all, as availability vs demand is controlling the prices at this time. 

I normally say don't wait, but you're going to have to wait to a point where waiting is the sensible option ..... fuck knows :D

Ryzen Ram Guide

14 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

to elaborate a little more, previously it ran a little like (in terms of performance)

1070 replaced the 970 but performed ~ 980ti. However on release it was around £100 - £150 more than a 970, ....

the 1060 offered performance of a 980 at the price point of a 970

same happened with the 970, performance of a 780ti for much less (around £300 on release, changed some between £330 and £270)

So what do I mean?

Let's say Volta is given the 11 series

I would "expect" a new top dog in the 1180 (like the 1080 and 980 were) for around £600 ish

then the good stuff

1170 giving around 1080ti performance for £450 ish

1160 giving 1080/1070 ish performance for around £280 - £330

However, as you may be aware, there's generally a wait for the lower end cards, 1080 came closely followed by 1070 then a wait for the 1060 and again for 1050.

there's always benefits of waiting, but then we would always be waiting.  We also don't know how Vega will affect current pricing, if at all, as availability vs demand is controlling the prices at this time. 

I normally say don't wait, but you're going to have to wait to a point where waiting is the sensible option ..... fuck knows :D

Thanks a lot for the reply, really informative and I think I understand the whole generations of cards aspect a lot better now! I'll obviously keep looking at both new and second hand cards for a reasonable deal since like you said, in this fast paced industry there's always something cool and tempting to wait for but if I don't find something that meets the requirements I want from my card and is a reasonable price for what it is then I'll have to wait it out with the hope that the market either normalises again or a better card comes out at the same price point that makes the increased cost justifiable.