Help me decide, stronger pump+rad or CPU block?

ARGH can't decide between an EKWB S120 and a customish loop with better radiator and pump

This is going to be cooling a 1070 and only a 1070 for now  but the s120 gets me a CPU block on the cheap for the future.

This or a s120 kit?

stuuffs.PNG.1982d45adc08e90c223e650da3cffbba.PNG

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Why wouldn't you opt for a s240 kit? 120 mm rads, even in a custom loop are horrible performers on their own and the s240 comes in at $200

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

2 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Why wouldn't you opt for a s240 kit? 120 mm rads, even in a custom loop are horrible performers on their own and the s240 comes in at $200

and then $40 shipping as opposed to 25.  I'm getting the s120 at a local store for 300 CAD as opposed  to the list I setup on EK for $305

Yo @Enderman @Whaler_99 @W-L and anyone else whaddya think?

Oh ps w_l cooler master makes a pressure optimized rgb fan

If I can't get a strong answer on this I may just go 100 bucks down and risk an H220 x2 

I think you should use better fittings, like bitspower.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

I think you should use better fittings, like bitspower.

Dude off topic, though I do agree.  I can't get them easily though so while I'm looking into them it's unlikely (especially on the s120)

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Dude off topic, though I do agree.  I can't get them easily though so while I'm looking into them it's unlikely (especially on the s120)

How about AIO+GPU bracket?

It doesn't seem like you can afford a good quality full custom loop...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

How about AIO+GPU bracket?

It doesn't seem like you can afford a good quality full custom loop...

A)

Don't need a full loop, just gpu

B)

Kraken g12/g10 don't work with any of the aios I already own and I'm not investing anything else into aios.  Also corsair bracket is potato 

C)

My temp solution will be zipties and an h80i with 2 60mm fans strapped on.  I'm just worried about vrm temps as I've heard 1070s run really hot vrms.

Just now, Damascus said:

A)

Don't need a full loop, just gpu

B)

Kraken g12/g10 don't work with any of the aios I already own and I'm not investing anything else into aios.  Also corsair bracket is potato 

C)

My temp solution will be zipties and an h80i with 2 60mm fans strapped on.  I'm just worried about vrm temps as ve heard 100s run really hot vrms.

1) By "full loop" I mean buying a radiadiator, pump, reservoir, fittings, tubing, and blocks and then assembling it yourself. Not "CPU+GPU".

2) Buying an AIO will be cheaper and more reliable than something like an H220 x2, while performing nearly the same.

Also, the corsair bracket is fine, it just needs to be the exact model to fit your PCB.

3) You need to put heatsinks on your VRMs.

Spoiler

Also, the corsair bracket is fine, it just needs to be the exact model to fit your PCB.

No support for a 1070 gaming X

Buying an AIO will be cheaper and more reliable than something like an H220 x2, while performing nearly the same.

I'm talking about setting it up on the gpu block instead of the cpu block.  It will do significantly better by dint of the quality of the full cover EK block as opposed to small aio cold plate. 

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

3) You need to put heatsinks on your VRMs.

Any suggestions?

Oh and @Enderman I'm getting a 1070 ek X for a pretty good deal so it's worthwhile to set up a loop.

Just now, Damascus said:

No support for a 1070 gaming X

I'm talking about setting it up on the gpu block instead of the cpu block.  It will do significantly better by dint of the quality of the full cover EK block as opposed to small aio cold plate. 

Any suggestions?

1) yeah, so then you go with the NZXT bracket and a different AIO

2) I know, the H220 x2 is still bad and can easily leak. This isn't about full cover vs small chip block.

3) Search for "small heatsinks" from literally any computer store or amazon.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) yeah, so then you go with the NZXT bracket and a different AIO

Bracket

$40

Compatible AIO

$180

220 plus tax isn't worth it for another AIO, with either  of the EK options I have better performance, more versatile components and better looks.

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

2) I know, the H220 x2 is still bad and can easily leak. This isn't about full cover vs small chip block.

Fair and the reason I'm not likely to go with it.  I have enough for these components now, next month I'll finish the loop.  I just need to get it up and running without buying any non custom loop related stuff

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Bracket

$40

Compatible AIO

$180

220 plus tax isn't worth it for another AIO, with either  of the EK options I have better performance, more versatile components and better looks.

What AIO were you planning to put on it??

An H60 is $70, and you can get a 240 AIO for like $150 or less.

Unless you have enough money to buy a proper loop with a D5, bitspower fittings, and a GPU block you should stick to AIO.

The image in your first post of the parts you picked doesn't even include the GPU block which will be another $150.

Spoiler

4 hours ago, W-L said:

That looks alright but I would recommend a DDC pump at the least. 

Yeah, the custom list has a DDC pump in it. 

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

The image in your first post of the parts you picked doesn't even include the GPU block which will be another $150.

10 hours ago, Damascus said:

Oh and @Enderman I'm getting a 1070 ek X for a pretty good deal so it's worthwhile to set up a loop.

Dude, EK X comes with a GPU block, thats why I need a loop

D5

Waaay too big (physically for my case) 

bitspower fittings

Like I said, I can swap the fittings to bitspower very easily.  Same price as the EK ones if I don't get the kit.

What AIO were you planning to put on it??

An H60 is $70, and you can get a 240 AIO for like $150 or less.

I  have an H60, H80i and H50 already, don't  want to spend any more money on AIOs

Go Custom Loop like me and but avoid hardline tubing unless you like to suffer unneccessary frustrstions.

0628171532.thumb.jpg.538a929ec7e8b43411d7697fe08c48ad.jpg

0628171532c.thumb.jpg.4b44c3f8810ae8b082c416b1afc6422e.jpg

54 minutes ago, BRiiTASH said:

Go Custom Loop like me and but avoid hardline tubing unless you like to suffer unneccessary frustrstions.

Nice setup, still no leaks? ;p

5 hours ago, Damascus said:

Waaay too big (physically for my case) 

Like I said, I can swap the fittings to bitspower very easily.  Same price as the EK ones if I don't get the kit.

The D5 is the only pump worth getting, don't waste you money on a DDC.

If you can use bitspower fittings instead then sure, go custom loop :)

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

The D5 is the only pump worth getting, don't waste you money on a DDC.

Just curious but why?  As I've said several times now a D5 just does not fit in my pc.