Would a 20W TDP rating increase for a CPU cooler make a noticeable difference in temperature and/or fan noise?

Bleedingyamato

I've got a Cryorig H7 on my 6700K but I'm thinking about getting a H7 quad lumi that is rated for 20W higher than the H7 and has RGB lighting on it.

I'm mostly interested in the TDP rating increase and whether or not it'd make a noticeable difference with my CPU temperature and/or fan noise.

I don't mind having my current H7 as a spare or maybe just waiting for a future build so cost of the new cooler wouldn't be a concern. 

Heres as a link to Cryorig's site that has detailed info on both the H7 and H7 quad lumi (Kinda wish the name was better.  lol)

http://www.cryorig.com/product.php

Few degrees. Not worth it IMO

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

it will make a very small difference in temps and the only reason why I would see to upgrading is the RGB. but other than that, no other reason

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Few degrees. Not worth it IMO

I'd get a bigger cooler but I think Cryorig's other coolers are too tall for my case.  

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

I'd get a bigger cooler but I think Cryorig's other coolers are too tall for my case.  

Are you only partial to Cryorig? There are probably larger air coolers out there that aren't taller than the H7. Or you could go with an AIO.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

It'd make some difference, but by itself, not enough. Pairing the higher rated cooler with a good fan might see a consistant drop in temps, but not one that matters unless you're a few degrees above 95C.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Spork829 said:

Are you only partial to Cryorig? There are probably larger air coolers out there that aren't taller than the H7. Or you could go with an AIO.

Yeah.  I've only used them besides a stock Intel cooler but I really like the look of Cryorig's coolers.  

Also they make multiple tower coolers that don't interfere with RAM.  I love that because I hate the idea of having to remove your CPU cooler just to mess with your RAM if you'd need to.

Cryorig's coolers are also very easy to install.  I'd originally moved from a stock Intel cooler (long story lol) to a Cryorig C7 because I was afraid a tower cooler would be too tricky to install.  But I eventually got an H7 and found it was no trouble at all to install.   

3 hours ago, verytiny said:

scythe fuma is 149mm tall

Is that a good brand?  I'm not familiar with it.  

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

It'd make some difference, but by itself, not enough. Pairing the higher rated cooler with a good fan might see a consistant drop in temps, but not one that matters unless you're a few degrees above 95C.

A little is still something.  Working within the limits of my case isn't an issue for me. 

The H7 is capable of keeping my 6700K at plenty nice temperatures but sometimes the fan has been a little louder than I'd prefer.  I have a low tolerance for white noise.  lol

It's entirely possible that even a few degrees lower could keep the fan from needing to run as fast as it does now.

Related example: setting the fans on my FTW3 1080 ti to anything up to around 60% and the noise isn't bad even at about maybe 64% but turn the fans up a little higher to 70% and suddenly they get a lot louder to a point that drives me nuts.  

Now the fan on my H7 pretty much doesn't end up sounding as annoying as 70%+ on my FTW3 does but every little bit helps I say.  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

The H7 is capable of keeping my 6700K at plenty nice temperatures but sometimes the fan has been a little louder than I'd prefer.  I have a low tolerance for white noise.  lol

The change of cooler won't help. A different fan will.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

38 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Yeah.  I've only used them besides a stock Intel cooler but I really like the look of Cryorig's coolers.  

Also they make multiple tower coolers that don't interfere with RAM.  I love that because I hate the idea of having to remove your CPU cooler just to mess with your RAM if you'd need to.

Cryorig's coolers are also very easy to install.  I'd originally moved from a stock Intel cooler (long story lol) to a Cryorig C7 because I was afraid a tower cooler would be too tricky to install.  But I eventually got an H7 and found it was no trouble at all to install.   

Is that a good brand?  I'm not familiar with it.  

A little is still something.  Working within the limits of my case isn't an issue for me. 

It's entirely possible that even a few degrees lower could keep the fan from needing to run as fast as it does now.

Related example: setting the fans on my FTW3 1080 ti to anything up to around 60% and the noise isn't bad even at about maybe 64% but turn the fans up a little higher to 70% and suddenly they get a lot louder to a point that drives me nuts.  

Now the fan on my H7 pretty much doesn't end up sounding as annoying as 70%+ on my FTW3 does but every little bit helps I say.  

scythe is a reputable company that makes quality cooling solutions for those who want to make their computers look like Japanese samurai ninja fighter robots

17 minutes ago, verytiny said:

scythe is a reputable company that makes quality cooling solutions for those who want to make their computers look like Japanese samurai ninja fighter robots

Hmmm..  Tempting.

At the very least I'll keep it in mind.  Whether I'd get it or not thank you for the suggestion.