Does SP fans push less than air than AF even in open space?

theProvider

I'm trying to decide whether to just use SP fans on everything including the front intake and rear exhaust.  Does anyone know or have a video or article that did this test?

Look at the cfm rating of the fans, normally the they blow about the same air with no pressure.

for example with the corsair af120 vs sp120, the sp is 62.7 cfm and the af is 63.7 cfm. Corsair doesn't give a proper data sheet, you cant see the pressure vs airflow curve.

At the same rpm, the AF fans move more CFM than SP fans.

Both are pretty bad though, something from noctua or bequiet will move similar amounts of air while being much quieter.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I guess I'm just wondering if those ratings are as advertised... lol

4 minutes ago, theProvider said:

I guess I'm just wondering if those ratings are as advertised... lol

ratings are normally pretty good, esp for the big oems like delta, ebm papst, and others.

Really, just get the sp fans and spin them slower if you want it quiet.

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

At the same rpm, the AF fans move more CFM than SP fans.

Both are pretty bad though, something from noctua or bequiet will move similar amounts of air while being much quieter.

noctua also costs more doe

2 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

noctua also costs more doe

That would be because their fans give the best performance per RPM for whatever use case they're used for. In the case of their new series, of which only the 120x15 and 200mm's are available, they are the best in all categories of real world usage since nobody runs fans completely unobstructed or flush against a wall.

30 minutes ago, theProvider said:

Snip

You need very little actual airflow in a pc build to make it run cool and quiet. the difference between an AF120 and SP120 is largely negligible, so I would suggest just getting whatever affordable SP fan you want and call it a day. You don't need more than 1-2 fans in a system anyway, beyond that you're going to be getting minimal temperature improvements in most situations.

11 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

That would be because their fans give the best performance per RPM for whatever use case they're used for. In the case of their new series, of which only the 120x15 and 200mm's are available, they are the best in all categories of real world usage since nobody runs fans completely unobstructed or flush against a wall.

can i use an Noctua NF-A14 PWM also as case fan?

38 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

can i use an Noctua NF-A14 PWM also as case fan?

Yeah, it won't have quite as high CFM, but it's close enough.