Is the Ryzen 5 1600 the best way to go for my gaming PC build?

I've got all my parts ready more or less (already have the SSDs as they were free) to buy but the one aspect that keeps bugging me is my Ryzen 5 1600 and how it compares to Intel and other Ryzen CPUs for gaming. To get the most out of both my CPU and GPU while also having the CPU being future proof, allowing me to upgrade my graphics card in the future, is the 1600 the best way to go or shall I pay the ~£40 more for a 1600X or even more for a 1700.

I'm not too keen on Intel as I can see a quad-core processor quickly becoming obsolete with Ryzen doing well early on and I don't want to waste my money only to have to upgrade again shortly after.

Here is the parts list for my build

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bRRTf8

1600 is the best bang for the buck, the 1600X is a pre-overclocked 1600 with no cooler, and the 1700 is pure awesomeness. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

just to note quad cores are not going to be obsolete anytime soon, intel make the best cpus for gaming period, and nobody can deny that.

4 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

just to note quad cores are not going to be obsolete anytime soon, intel make the best cpus for gaming period, and nobody can deny that.

Until you factor in price to performance. I am an intel fan and I am comfortable admitting that 

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

2 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Until you factor in price to performance. I am an intel fan and I am comfortable admitting that 

i dont disagree, intel prices are just shocking, and this is why i wont be getting an intel cpu when i upgrade next.

i paid £250 for my 4790k last year, i didnt get a 6700k because it would have meant having to buy a new mobo and ram, when i already had a z97 and 16gb of ddr3.

1 minute ago, MrJarhead said:

i dont disagree, intel prices are just shocking, and this is why i wont be getting an intel cpu when i upgrade next.

Yes sorry, I agree with you that intel is better but what I meant by obsolete is that if AMD continues to push and increase their market share then hopefully Intel will have to respond and the core count may change or at least become a bigger issue for them. I just don't see Intel's current strategy being sustainable.  

1 minute ago, Abe_R said:

Yes sorry, I agree with you that intel is better but what I meant by obsolete is that if AMD continues to push and increase their market share then hopefully Intel will have to respond and the core count may change or at least become a bigger issue for them. I just don't see Intel's current strategy being sustainable.  

intel are better for gaming as we both agree.

in terms of rendering and that type of stuff, amd wins until you get to the 6900x, but theyre way too pricey.

18 minutes ago, Abe_R said:

I've got all my parts ready more or less (already have the SSDs as they were free) to buy but the one aspect that keeps bugging me is my Ryzen 5 1600 and how it compares to Intel and other Ryzen CPUs for gaming. To get the most out of both my CPU and GPU while also having the CPU being future proof, allowing me to upgrade my graphics card in the future, is the 1600 the best way to go or shall I pay the ~£40 more for a 1600X or even more for a 1700.

I'm not too keen on Intel as I can see a quad-core processor quickly becoming obsolete with Ryzen doing well early on and I don't want to waste my money only to have to upgrade again shortly after.

Here is the parts list for my build

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bRRTf8

An i5 4670K like the one I had already struggles at 144Hz in Overwatch, a CPU-intensive game, so your worries about quad-cores becoming obsolete are not unwarranted. That said, for most people an i5 7600K would be fine. My 4770S plays 144Hz Overwatch without a problem. So a 1600 over a 1500X would be a good idea. 

If you want the best chip for gaming right now then it would be a 7700K but a 1600 is a good chip for the money and I'd recommend it over the i7 for most people.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

25 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

An i5 4670K like the one I had already struggles at 144Hz in Overwatch, a CPU-intensive game, so your worries about quad-cores becoming obsolete are not unwarranted. That said, for most people an i5 7600K would be fine. My 4770S plays 144Hz Overwatch without a problem. So a 1600 over a 1500X would be a good idea. 

If you want the best chip for gaming right now then it would be a 7700K but a 1600 is a good chip for the money and I'd recommend it over the i7 for most people.

28 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

intel are better for gaming as we both agree.

in terms of rendering and that type of stuff, amd wins until you get to the 6900x, but theyre way too pricey.

36 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Lol thanks for the help guys, I panicked for a sec thinking everything I've researched was a lie and tried to create a similar but better gaming PC for the same price as mine from Intel and I couldn't do it so I think you're all right in saying price to performance wise I'm better off with Ryzen.