Starting to outgrow PC, got any suggestions?

beerdude111

So, I built my first PC 2 years ago, for purely gaming. It has a i5-4690K, msi pc mate z97 mobo, msi red r9-380 gpu, 2 1 tb hard drives, and 240 gb ssd and I think I'm starting to outgrow it. I still game on it, little less than when I first started out, lots of NBA 2k17, not as much GTA V as in the past, rocket league, gears of war, forza, haven't touched witcher 3 in a while but I love RPG games. I'm at 1080p at 60 fps (I know, lame. "Move up to 144 fps loser." "ever heard of 4k bro?"), I've also taken up video editing and rendering, and I've since graduated from uni from mechanical engineering and use a lot of CAD software (both of which are not the greatest on devil's canyon). With Ryzen out and launching new CPUs, I'm starting to consider upgrading my system. Anyone got any build suggestions? Hoping for a system that can game, render videos more efficiently, and handle CAD software better. Looking for the best bang for my buck, and I'm willing to get used hardware if need be, and I'm not in a particular rush to build it so it doesn't have to be processors/GPUs that are out right now, but launching in the coming months.

Hoping to keep it under $1000 CAD ($750 USD....I was REALLY hoping 2 years ago the Canadian economy would bounce back by the time I would have to rebuild) but if spending $100-$200 more would dramatically improve performance, I'm open to that. 

Also, sidenote, anyone know what the components I listed would sell for? 

Thank you!!!

The system your using now the CPU+mobo+ram can go $100 up if you can list it on eBay for cheap and have it as a auction (it will produce a lot of money) but use the same GPU and get a R1600 16gb of ram and your choice of a AM4 mobo

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

I recommenced buying a new grapghics card, possibly a 1080 and upgrading to Ryzen, maybe a 1700, that should keep you within price limit with little bottlenecks. As for resolution, I would suggest staying in a reasonable 1440p range to save resources, as this is still a sharp resolution for gaming. 

Just now, TheLagDidIt said:

I recommenced buying a new grapghics card, possibly a 1080 and upgrading to Ryzen, maybe a 1700, that should keep you within price limit with little bottlenecks. As for resolution, I would suggest staying in a reasonable 1440p range to save resources, as this is still a sharp resolution for gaming. 

As well as ram

idk what do you plan on doing with your PC?

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

Just now, TheLagDidIt said:

His GPU is fine and you can't have a 1700+1080+1440p monitor in $1000 snow pesos

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

His GPU is fine and you can't have a 1700+1080+1440p monitor in $1000 snow pesos

i was thinking USD

1 minute ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

idk what do you plan on doing with your PC?

10 minutes ago, beerdude111 said:

So, I built my first PC 2 years ago, for purely gaming. It has a i5-4690K, msi pc mate z97 mobo, msi red r9-380 gpu, 2 1 tb hard drives, and 240 gb ssd and I think I'm starting to outgrow it. I still game on it, little less than when I first started out, lots of NBA 2k17, not as much GTA V as in the past, rocket league, gears of war, forza, haven't touched witcher 3 in a while but I love RPG games. I'm at 1080p at 60 fps (I know, lame. "Move up to 144 fps loser." "ever heard of 4k bro?"), I've also taken up video editing and rendering, and I've since graduated from uni from mechanical engineering and use a lot of CAD software (both of which are not the greatest on devil's canyon). With Ryzen out and launching new CPUs, I'm starting to consider upgrading my system. Anyone got any build suggestions? Hoping for a system that can game, render videos more efficiently, and handle CAD software better. Looking for the best bang for my buck, and I'm willing to get used hardware if need be, and I'm not in a particular rush to build it so it doesn't have to be processors/GPUs that are out right now, but launching in the coming months.

Hoping to keep it under $1000 CAD ($750 USD....I was REALLY hoping 2 years ago the Canadian economy would bounce back by the time I would have to rebuild) but if spending $100-$200 more would dramatically improve performance, I'm open to that. 

Also, sidenote, anyone know what the components I listed would sell for? 

Thank you!!!

what type of CAD software?

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

W

Just now, floppy disk mayhem said:

what type of CAD software?

which one?

2 minutes ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

W

which one?

AutoCAD, UGS NX, Solidworks mostly, Sketchup from time to time, and whatever IT decides to start using next year because, idk, the marketing department of that company is blowing them?

so I recommend about 16 gb of ram...

Maybe a 970...

And possibly a ryzen 1400.

about 470 USD, 620 CAD

1 hour ago, beerdude111 said:

AutoCAD, UGS NX, Solidworks mostly, Sketchup from time to time, and whatever IT decides to start using next year because, idk, the marketing department of that company is blowing them?

I'd get a 4790K since it'll have higher speed (CAD programs usually don't use HT/SMT since they rely on real-time calculations making faster physical cores a bigger import than HT/SMT). 

How much RAM do you have? I've seen quite a few of my Autodesk projects take up more than 16GB by themselves. Get 32GB, if you can.

Rendering will benefit from HT on nearly any program since you can schedule threads for use. 

I would also invest in a Quadro (if you're not gaming as often) for CUDA and driver support in Autodesk and Solidworks. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I'd get a 4790K since it'll have higher speed (CAD programs usually don't use HT/SMT since they rely on real-time calculations making faster physical cores a bigger import than HT/SMT). 

How much RAM do you have? I've seen quite a few of my Autodesk projects take up more than 16GB by themselves. Get 32GB, if you can.

Rendering will benefit from HT on nearly any program since you can schedule threads for use. 

I would also invest in a Quadro (if you're not gaming as often) for CUDA and driver support in Autodesk and Solidworks. 

o.OO.o A QUADRO?? That is at least 5 times his budget.

o.OO.o A QUADRO??

@nerdslayer1 can speak for Solidworks.

Autodesk has a few non-imperative features that require a Quadro, but Solidworks has something that requires it at the driver level.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

what is the "something" I am genuinely interested.

what is the "something" I am genuinely interested.

Don't know, I use Autodesk which is why I called on Sloth-man.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

@nerdslayer1 can speak for Solidworks.

Autodesk has a few non-imperative features that require a Quadro, but Solidworks has something that requires it at the driver level.

don't think OP needs a Quadro, a Geforce card will be just fine for OPs needs.