A Future Proof MOTHERBOARD?

Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,
22 minutes ago, Joe Jackman said:

regardless of CPU "teams" (and x299 platforms) and have the most features for 2017.

oh and price? 
just blow me up...;):DxD:P

there is no such thing as "futureproof", certainly not with motherboards.... but that would basically comedown to features and socket. X299 should come with a socket and CPU list strong enough to last nearly a decade for most users, but the features on the motherboard (such as USB generation, PCIe lanes/slots/generation, M.2 functionality or other high bandwidth storage options, DDR iterations, and so on) would become outdated every couple years. theoretically with enough PCIe lanes and slots you should be able to gain much of this functionality with add-in cards as time progresses, but some things will not be upgrade-able.

I mean the sub $100 B350 Tomahawk motherboard has pretty much the same features as any premium $700 motherboard, the more expensive one just has more of the same features (and maybe a couple superfluous unique ones) but they're largely the same.

regardless of CPU "teams" (and x299 platforms) and have the most features for 2017.

oh and price? 

Best mobo with the most features? Wait and get a flagship X299 mobo, though the price will probs make you cringe. Then you gotta get an i9 to pair with it...

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Any x299? They are not of good value but it is Intel's latest HEDT platform so it has most features (as long as paired with the i9 7900x lol) and should be relevant for quite a long time.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Best mobo with the most features? Wait and get a flagship X299 mobo, though the price will probs make you cringe. Then you gotta get an i9 to pair with it...

x299 with i9... never in a bazilllion years.

Just now, Joe Jackman said:

Well, it'd be the most future proof, and you'll need an i9 for the full 44 PCI lanes. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, Joe Jackman said:

2 minutes ago, Joe Jackman said:

Well I mean

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, Joe Jackman said:

Threadrippah. Zenith Extreme. $500.

Just now, dexT said:

Threadrippah. 

Yeah, but no TB3 support as yet. he said he wanted the most future proof, fully featured mobo possible, and currently that's X299. 

Main PC 

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Well I mean

yeah, i just not into x299 platforms

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Yeah, but no TB3 support as yet. he said he wanted the most future proof, fully featured mobo possible, and currently that's X299. 

Socket TR4 should be supported longer than X299. Meaning more and newer CPUs.

Just now, Zando Bob said:

okay so far everyone saying x299 platform motherboards.

what are the downsides other then the price

1 minute ago, Joe Jackman said:

Downsides? That you need an expensive CPU to use all the features. That and the price are pretty much the only downsides, AFAIK. 

Main PC 

9 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Any x299? They are not of good value but it is Intel's latest HEDT platform so it has most features (as long as paired with the i9 7900x lol) and should be relevant for quite a long time.

yeah but i9 processors are just not good of a value for performance.

yeah but i9 processors are just not good of a value for performance.

Then you should fix your question :P

Just get a good x370 board, a Ryzen 7 1700 and you're set.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, Joe Jackman said:

Lets see
Price
Price
Confusing CPU options (anything lower than 7800k)

Most likely the chipset itself will only last (at most) one more generation of CPU's before being replaced with a new one

Having to give up an arm and a leg for it

Getting shot while robbing fort knox

Your friends always being at your house eating your food and drinking your drinks while raving all over your bleeding edge hardware for six months
You could probably adopt a pure breed dog for the price (I like dogs)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

The concept of "future-proofing" is flawed in itself, because nothing is truly "future-proof".

So I say this: forget the "future-proofing" crap and buy the best CPU that suits your needs best.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

22 minutes ago, Joe Jackman said:

oh and price? 

there is no such thing as "futureproof", certainly not with motherboards.... but that would basically comedown to features and socket. X299 should come with a socket and CPU list strong enough to last nearly a decade for most users, but the features on the motherboard (such as USB generation, PCIe lanes/slots/generation, M.2 functionality or other high bandwidth storage options, DDR iterations, and so on) would become outdated every couple years. theoretically with enough PCIe lanes and slots you should be able to gain much of this functionality with add-in cards as time progresses, but some things will not be upgrade-able.

I mean the sub $100 B350 Tomahawk motherboard has pretty much the same features as any premium $700 motherboard, the more expensive one just has more of the same features (and maybe a couple superfluous unique ones) but they're largely the same.

7 minutes ago, Joe Jackman said:

Price really is the only downside. People just want to jump on the hate bandwagon without really understanding why it doesn't make sense to do so. People want to hate Intel and are looking for any reason to do so. Objectively there is nothing really wrong with X299. Yes it costs a lot, but its also the best thing money can buy, and best of the best always costs a lot. There are some quirks people are not used to on this platform, and Intel has made some odd choices with the X299 systems in order to keep their Xeon lineup alive, but objectively its not "bad".... people just want to hate Intel, and they'll take every opportunity to do so.

(also be careful, saying this like that will get this thread off track very very quickly and make it turn into a fanboy rage thread)

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

Price really is the only downside. People just want to jump on the hate bandwagon without really understanding why it doesn't make sense to do so. People want to hate Intel and are looking for any reason to do so. Objectively there is nothing really wrong with X299. Yes it costs a lot, but its also the best thing money can buy, and best of the best always costs a lot. There are some quirks people are not used to on this platform, and Intel has made some odd choices with the X299 systems in order to keep their Xeon lineup alive, but objectively its not "bad".... people just want to hate Intel, and they'll take every opportunity to do so.

(also be careful, saying this like that will get this thread off track very very quickly and make it turn into a fanboy rage thread)

okay about x299, whats the oldest generation cpu will it support?

it will only support 2066 CPU's, namely, the Core i7's and i9's belonging to Kaby-X and SKylake-X lineups. There are no "old" cpu's which existed before which can be used on it now, and other than the higher core count I9's coming out later this year, they're unlikely to release any newer CPU's for it down the road either.

1 minute ago, Joe Jackman said:

That is something only Intel knows of... But it could be as short as Coffee Lake-E.... I mean Coffee Lake-X

Personal Desktop":

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

it will only support 2066 CPU's, namely, the Core i7's and i9's belonging to Kaby-X and SKylake-X lineups. There are no "old" cpu's which existed before which can be used on it now, and other than the higher core count I9's coming out later this year, they're unlikely to release any newer CPU's for it down the road either.

thank you, i finally have a answer...

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

and lets say i don't want to buy a x299 but a x370, but will it still support future CPUs i mean for a time period of about 4 years or so.