GTA V Crashing

BaconPie
Go to solution Solved by BaconPie,
On 2017. 06. 27. at 5:29 PM, DnFx91 said:

with a 970, no problem

On 2017. 06. 27. at 5:28 PM, TheCatShuriken said:

True enough. GTA is a bit of a demand for a semi older card, though he should be able to breeze through it. 

So I guess it was the OC afterall, played through the evening yesterday and today as well, everything is fine! :) Thanks for the help!

So I bought GTA V from steam, because summer sales, you know. The problem is, the game keeps crashing every 15 mins or so, and not simply "to-the-desktop" kinda crashing, my whole system shuts down, which makes it a little...unplayable I'd say. I google'd it up, no useful fixes found yet..:( Anyone got this sort of issue, and managed to fix it? Also, what kind of settings should I use for 1080p with a GTX 970, i5-4690k and 8GB RAM? 

Anything OCd? What PSU do you have?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, TeamPC said:

So I bought GTA V from steam, because summer sales, you know. The problem is, the game keeps crashing every 15 mins or so, and not simply "to-the-desktop" kinda crashing, my whole system shuts down, which makes it a little...unplayable I'd say. I google'd it up, no useful fixes found yet..:( Anyone got this sort of issue, and managed to fix it? Also, what kind of settings should I use for 1080p with a GTX 970, i5-4690k and 8GB RAM? 

with that hardware, you should be good to run at max settings 1080p (being modest with AA that is) 

the fact your entire system dies leads me to think its your PSU, what wattage is it ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Anything OCd? What PSU do you have?

I have the CPU OC'd, as well as the GPU but I ran a 20+ hour stress test on both, never failed me like this...PSU is Corsair CX750m which is 80+ bronze if I recall correctly.

2 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

with that hardware, you should be good to run at max settings 1080p (being modest with AA that is) 

the fact your entire system dies leads me to think its your PSU, what wattage is it ?

I'm trying 4x MSAA at the moment, might lower it a bit. As said the PSU is 750W.

Gonna ask you a few questions and go from there: 

Have you run other VERY load inducing games before? (Think GTA 5, Just Cause 3, Crisis 3, and other high end triple A games) If no, it could be an overheat of your GPU (Make sure fans are running hard; GTA 5 is demanding af), or not enough power from your PSU to your GPU. The second seems much more likely.

On that card, medium high settings. Should look around console level graphics with 60 fps. Not ideal but it's a semi old card. To experiment, try turning everything to minimum and see how much that helps.

What EXACTLY happens when it crashes? Blue screen of death? Silent shutdown? 

Also, keep a close eye on GPU temps. If it's over 70-mid70s it could be dangerous, and if you see any massive drops in temp while still under load it might mean the card overloaded/overheated.

Hope I helped!

Just now, TeamPC said:

I have the CPU OC'd, as well as the GPU but I ran a 20+ hour stress test on both, never failed me like this...PSU is Corsair CX750m which is 80+ bronze if I recall correctly.

I'm trying 4x MSAA at the moment, might lower it a bit. As said the PSU is 750W.

well 750 is more than enough for your hardware, and it's a decent PSU so gotta be something else. you say this only happens when running GTA ? absolutely nowhere else ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

1 minute ago, TeamPC said:

Didn't see this, ignore my power related comments in my first comment.

Just now, DnFx91 said:

well 750 is more than enough for your hardware, and it's a decent PSU so gotta be something else. you say this only happens when running GTA ? absolutely nowhere else ?

Well we don't know what else he runs on there. This could be the first high demand game for him. 

i had the same problem, turns out the oc wasnt good enough for gta V eventhough it lasted 24 hours on aida64. just turn the oc down by 0.1Ghz

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

GPU driver crash could be the issue, as CatShuriken said have you tried with any other heavy titles?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, TheCatShuriken said:

Well we don't know what else he runs on there. This could be the first high demand game for him. 

your info is a bit off buddy, GTA V is really not that demanding by modern standards, and no modern GPU will power down a system from overheating, same as CPU's, they have thermal protection, even so, 70C while a bit toasty, is nowhere near dangerous temps for a GPU. 

Home PC:

Work PC:

1 minute ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

i had the same problem, turns out the oc wasnt good enough for gta V eventhough it lasted 24 hours on aida64. just turn the oc down by 0.1Ghz

this seems like a more likely answer, kernel panic from unstable CPU

Home PC:

Work PC:

1 minute ago, TheCatShuriken said:

Gonna ask you a few questions and go from there: 

Have you run other VERY load inducing games before? (Think GTA 5, Just Cause 3, Crisis 3, and other high end triple A games) If no, it could be an overheat of your GPU (Make sure fans are running hard; GTA 5 is demanding af), or not enough power from your PSU to your GPU. The second seems much more likely.

On that card, medium high settings. Should look around console level graphics with 60 fps. Not ideal but it's a semi old card. To experiment, try turning everything to minimum and see how much that helps.

What EXACTLY happens when it crashes? Blue screen of death? Silent shutdown? 

Also, keep a close eye on GPU temps. If it's over 70-mid70s it could be dangerous, and if you see any massive drops in temp while still under load it might mean the card overloaded/overheated.

Hope I helped!

I think the most demanding games I ran were FarCry4 and BF4, I had to tweak a few things but those titles ran just fine.

The screen freezes, like a still image, and I hear some distortion noise coming from the headphones (I guess it's stuck at the sound it played when the game crashed), I see the still image for about 10 seconds then blue screen of win10 death with sad smiley face :(

Just now, DnFx91 said:

I can't remember other games that crashed like this, at all.

Just now, DnFx91 said:

your info is a bit off buddy, GTA V is really not that demanding by modern standards, and no modern GPU will power down a system from overheating, same as CPU's, they have thermal protection, even so, 70C while a bit toasty, is nowhere near dangerous temps for a GPU. 

Driver crash could. I have a 290x with similar behavior it works perfectly well with little to no stress but a few minutes after booting anything intensive (or a long time doing non-intensive things like browser videos after 4 or 5 hours) the card went bad somewhere but can't tell where.

Unfortunately unless this doesn't happens on other games is not looking good

-------

Current Rig

-------

I think the most demanding games I ran were FarCry4 and BF4, I had to tweak a few things but those titles ran just fine.

The screen freezes, like a still image, and I hear some distortion noise coming from the headphones (I guess it's stuck at the sound it played when the game crashed), I see the still image for about 10 seconds then blue screen of win10 death with sad smiley face :(

I can't remember other games that crashed like this, at all.

Those do not look too intensive. Not that GTA V is too intensive either but it could be some spikes somewhere that you didn't notice on those other games.

Try running heaven benchmark on a loop for a while checking temps and clocks, see if it happens again.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

2 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

this seems like a more likely answer, kernel panic from unstable CPU

I guess I'll try this then, see if it makes a difference.

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

GPU driver crash could be the issue, as CatShuriken said have you tried with any other heavy titles?

I just updated the GPU drivers a few days ago, do you still think it could be causing the issue?

taking your OC down a notch sounds like a good idea to start with, i guess it's possible that GTA is hammering a single core harder than AIDA ever did

Home PC:

Work PC:

I guess I'll try this then, see if it makes a difference.

I just updated the GPU drivers a few days ago, do you still think it could be causing the issue?

Well if it's a physical problem with the GPU it could but is unlikely. The overclock also could be as mentioned above. You should confirm by running heaven on a loop for a good while (1 hour or so) and see what happens.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

taking your OC down a notch sounds like a good idea to start with, i guess it's possible that GTA is hammering a single core harder than AIDA ever did

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well if it's a physical problem with the GPU it could but is unlikely. The overclock also could be as mentioned above. You should confirm by running heaven on a loop for a good while (1 hour or so) and see what happens.

I lowered the clockspeed to 4.0 from 4.2, I'm gonna be playing the game for a while, as well as monitoring temps both on CPU and GPU.

If the issue still remains I'll run heaven, and I'll certainly be back...:D 

15 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

True enough. GTA is a bit of a demand for a semi older card, though he should be able to breeze through it. 

Just now, TheCatShuriken said:

with a 970, no problem

Home PC:

Work PC:

Oh, and a minor thing I noticed, the fps is stable enough around 60, but when I use the map it drops to the 20s...Might be connected to the crashes? :D

On 2017. 06. 27. at 5:29 PM, DnFx91 said:

with a 970, no problem

On 2017. 06. 27. at 5:28 PM, TheCatShuriken said:

So I guess it was the OC afterall, played through the evening yesterday and today as well, everything is fine! :) Thanks for the help!