Vega Frontier Edition officially launched $999

Valentyn
3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

That bad.......................... My 1080 beats it :/

LOL No one noticed he's NOT using the Frontier Edition driver.

FE = 17.20

TtKWlQJNRu6viYLb_eMuzw.png

He's using 17.1.1

5a1d18d19c707cb80d42a236bbfdc9f769da2455

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

6 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

LOL No one noticed he's using the Frontier Edition driver.

TBH, this is a benchmark, so scores probably aren't affected that much by the driver. The core clock was at 1600MHz and that's what really matters: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12987144

I am pretty sure that with optimized drivers, Vega will be trading blows with the 1080. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

TBH, this is a benchmark, so scores probably aren't affected that much by the driver. The core clock was at 1600MHz: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12987144

I am pretty sure that with optimized drivers, Vega will be trading blows with the 1080. 

The clock wasn't at 1600Mhz according to the dude doing the benchmarks.

"frequency on the GPU all over the place, I am trying hard to set it to 1600 and on the next run"

So not using release drivers, instead using 6 month old drivers with No support for FE; and in a tiny case with a 550W PSU 300W below what AMD recommends.

So along with bad drivers, he's probably thermal, and power throttling as well.

U2caFii5QiKnl4tzgk-fVw.png

I really wander  what the liquid card will be about that can justify the price hike. Maybe the aircooled is a cut down Vega?

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

On 6/28/2017 at 6:06 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

TBH, this is a benchmark, so scores probably aren't affected that much by the driver. The core clock was at 1600MHz and that's what really matters: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12987144

I think that 3dmark cannot read properly the frequency of GPUs not yet fully released. Not sure tho.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

*pcper is doing a live testing streaming right now*

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

12 minutes ago, Agost said:

*pcper is doing a live testing streaming right now*

Performance is not looking good.... In Superposition it could barely match a 1070 O.o

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Performance is not looking good.... In Superposition it could barely match a 1070 O.o

But but but... it doesn't have game ready drivers!!! But but but Vega will gain 50% performance with a better driver!!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

But but but... it doesn't have game ready drivers!!! But but but Vega will gain 50% performance with a better driver!!

Even if it gains 50%, it won't be able to match the 1080 Ti which was almost 100% faster :P

This is REALLY strange stuff.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Even if it gains 50%, it won't be able to match the 1080 Ti which was almost 100% faster :P

Oh my! There's a slither of hope. :P

From AT forums.
"Expect no performance delta between Gaming and Pro mode. Shipping driver is current, but is not comparable to RX Vega driver."
PCPer Ryan quoting AMD

Just now, Valentyn said:

Oh my! There's a slither of hope. :P

Keep your 980 Ti, it's better than the Vega card :P

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Keep your 980 Ti, it's better than the Vega card :P

That's depressing isn't it?

Vega just over 500mm2, 14nm, HBM2, running 1300-1600Mhz, can't even handily beat a stock Fury X, never mind an overlocked Hybrid 980Ti; which gives some GTX 1070's a run for their money. :(

I feel sorry for those waiting for Vega as they got double ****ed due to the rising prices of the 1070/1080's atm !!!

1 minute ago, JediFragger said:

I feel sorry for those waiting for Vega as they got double ****ed due to the rising prices of the 1070/1080's atm !!!

Well I was going to get either a 1080Ti, or Vega XT card. Waiting to Threadripper before I get anything; and by then Radeon RX Vega should be out.

So got some more time. Otherwise "Wait for Volta".

If the RX variants don't perform much better in games than what we're seeing with the FE, I'd sadly call AMD dead in the GPU market.

I was expecting a lot more from Vega, since it's both on a smaller node than Fiji and a newer architecture compared to Polaris.

2 minutes ago, Agost said:

If the RX variants don't perform much better in games than what we're seeing with the FE, I'd sadly call AMD dead in the GPU market.

Looks like they'll be sticking to the mid-range in future anyhow (with Navi being multiple dies connected via Infinity Fabric) so I don't think they'll be too bothered long-term about the large chip market.

They just need to get Vega out of the way and start looking forward to that imo.

Just now, JediFragger said:

Looks like they'll be sticking to the mid-range in future anyhow (with Navi being multiple dies connected via Infinity Fabric) so I don't think they'll be too bothered long-term about the large chip market.

The point is that a new architecture seems worse than the current one. What are they going to get by connecting multiple smaller dies? Nothing that good.

High performance does not necessarily imply big chips (HD 4870, for example)

55 minutes ago, Agost said:

The point is that a new architecture seems worse than the current one. What are they going to get by connecting multiple smaller dies? Nothing that good.

what a beast that little guy was, 

its much harder today to find a way to do that much more with a smaller chip, even with crazy high frequencies

9 hours ago, Agost said:

God I loved my 4870, it kicked ass :)

Guys,

The drivers that PcPer and others are using for these tests are the equivalent of trying to get a Lake of data through a pinhole when it comes to gaming performance, where bandwidth and driver optimization is arguably more important that in the creative or data driven space where brute force compute is more effective.

Its always going to come down to drivers.

Like look at nvidia as an example - Quattro with gaming drivers = same as gaming GPU - but Gaming GPU with Quattro drivers  = meh to crap Gaming GPU.

Driver optimization is huge - and frankly, the FE drivers are NOT gaming drivers.

IMO

EX- Host of CanadaComputers CCHotSpot

Ask me in PM why - if your wondering...

43 minutes ago, Matt_Lefebvre said:

Guys,

The drivers that PcPer and others are using for these tests are the equivalent of trying to get a Lake of data through a pinhole when it comes to gaming performance, where bandwidth and driver optimization is arguably more important that in the creative or data driven space where brute force compute is more effective.

Its always going to come down to drivers.

Like look at nvidia as an example - Quattro with gaming drivers = same as gaming GPU - but Gaming GPU with Quattro drivers  = meh to crap Gaming GPU.

Driver optimization is huge - and frankly, the FE drivers are NOT gaming drivers.

IMO

That's what we're hoping for

The first leaked AIB version of Vega is out, it's from Colorful apparently.

Big pictures!

au4wRsb.jpg

crhwR4Q.jpg

gPD1ZFi.jpg

:p

25 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

au4wRsb.jpg

wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childre